Post-match: Revs vs. Rapids (4/24/10)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by miked9, Apr 24, 2010.

1. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they announced something like 8000. yeesh.

2. ethical1989

ethical1989 New Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Attleboro
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: In-Game : Revs v Colorado 4/24 (R)

Can we start calling him King Marko now, granted its only one goal but it was beautiful!!!

3. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's pathetic. For a nice night? Ugh.

Yes,there was a Red Sox game but come on.

4. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We suck. Very lucky we weren't on the wrong end of a 4-1 or 5-1 scoreline.

- Perovic was the proverbial diamond lodged in a pile of fecal matter tonight. Guy is the real deal.

- No Shalrie, no possession.

- Is it me, or has Khano gotten worse over the last year and a half?

- Speaking of Khano, I think he's starting to rub off on Sainey Nyassi.

- Kheli Dube: Not a starter. Never has been; never will be.

- Rapids I thought were the first team to really attack Sinovic, and I thought he struggled.

- Schilwalski did nothing.

- Jankauskas wasn't much better.

- I'm pretty sure that "Niouky" is French for "Carlos Semedo".

- Why did we trade Jeff Larentowicz, again?

- Sorry, but Preston Burpo has roots. He's pretty good if the ball is near him. Put it even close to a corner, and he's got no chance. And I don't even fault him for the Mastroeni goal... but he's GOT to stop that shot from Ballouchy. At first glance, I thought he made a mess of the overhead kick that struck the post, but he recovered nicely to stop Casey on the rebound.

- You know that high-energy, high-pressure approach the Rapids took tonight? The Revs better find a way to deal with it, because they're going to be seeing a lot of it in the coming weeks.

5. Soc4Us

Soc4Us Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Dunstable, MA
    This could get very repetitive if Shalrie doesn't play. He is the difference as far as whether the Revs have any sustained build up when attacking.

Disappointed in the space our backs gave their attackers (or maybe in our holding midfielders not breaking up attacks), but this is very correctable.

Bhurpo has just about convinced me he is not good enough to be a starter in the MLS.

6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great goal by Perovic, the guy was a good pickup.........ummmmmmm thats about all the good that came out of that game.
    Dube continues to get the ball in good places but again came up with goose eggs. Schil did nothing. I thought Nyassi had a decent game, had a few nice balls into the box, had a few clunkers too. He was getting hammered near the end of the game. I think Connor got away with a studs up tackle, probably should have gotten a red. There are some teams that can still play well when their best player is out, the Revs are not one of those teams. Niouky was nowhere to be found the first half. I thought he stepped it up the second half,,,,,for about 10 minutes then faded away. Phelan for all his his hustle is always a day late and dollar short.
    Wells???????? wtf, never played that well for the Revs. He and Alston seemed to be getting into it a few times. He was really starting to piss me off. I wanted to start a chant: I hate Wells, You hate Wells, God hates Wells, WE HATE WELLS!!! Not sure that would have gone over big.
    Besides the Perovic goal, the highlight of the night was Garrett's moose pajama bottoms. The matching top must have been in the wash....

7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sinovic was getting used tonight. He was not getting the defensive help from Perovic that he was with Tierney out there. I guess that is the price you pay. I wonder if Osie moves to the left when he his boo boo gets better

8. Soc4Us

Soc4Us Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Dunstable, MA
    Ugh, good point. Sinovic, at least in the first half, seemed more than content to let crosses come in as long as his attacker didn't dribble by him. Hope that isn't a trend.

9. TheMightyRevs

TheMightyRevs Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Ma

Were you there?

10. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's not a left back

11. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the advantage of being directly in line with the Balouchy goal and Burpo was screened.

I've said this before, without Joseph this team is not very good. They rely on possession, and they can't get any without Joseph. I don't think it's as bad as Mike Marshall is making it out to be (although I do agree Dube should not be starting, he's missed about 6 sitters this year).

12. beryl420

beryl420 Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Hartford
    The Good:

Nyassi actually did fairly well and was active

Nicely taken goal by Perovic

Best I have ever seen Wells Thompson play

The bad:

Other than the goal, I'm not sure I saw anything useful from Perovic

Where is the great dynamic attacking defender named Kevin Alston you people keep talking about?

8k?

EJ looked rusty

Sinovic struggled badly both defensively and connecting passes.. as someone mentioned above, I wonder if Perovic's unwillingness to come back and help (like Tierney) was the difference

13. beryl420

beryl420 Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Hartford
    Was the first goal deflected?

14. beryl420

beryl420 Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Hartford
    Great point.

15. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dube really needs to grab some pine. His flub right before Colorado's first goal was embarrassing.

But, the core problem is the Nookie-Failin' tandem in the middle of the park.
    We all know they are not going to provide a lot of possession or accurate passing. Unfortunately, they are not very good as defensive mids either.

It may be time to give Videira a run out. Or put Osei up there when he gets fit.

16. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sinovic and Schiliwaski are rookies. This is what happens when you rely on rookies right out of college--you get uneven/inconsistent performances. It's not their fault, they're promising players--but there's a difference between promising and proven.

I don't want to dump on Dube for the same reason. He's being asked to be the primary goalscorer when in reality he's a scrapper that should be coming off the bench.

Phelan very easily could have seen red. He and Niouky were simply dominated by Pablo and Larentowicz. Perovic has tons of talent but didn't seem to have much chemistry with the rest of the team. Thought Nyassi was poor. Alston was pretty good. Barnes was okay, Gibbs pretty good. Burpo did fairly well--you can't give the other team as many chances as we did and expect the GK to bail you out every time.

Colorado is not a juggernaut, but they're a very very good team. Only LA has a better striker tandem. Their midfield possesses extremely well. Their defense isn't that great, but Drew Moor is a decent player and Pickens is solid. So this gives us some sense of what the level of playoff teams will be.

Without Joseph, the Revs are effed. I don't think he alone turns the team into a title contender, but we just haven't seen enough yet to know.

17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Videira brings very little to the table in his limited game time especially when a guy like Perovic is on the field and there's a legit AM to judge him against. I really don't know what assets Videira has for this team, he's sort of the mediocre Phelan of AMids without the work ethic. We'd be better served bringing in Cola as a late-game change up sub imo.

Having Perovic and Cola running at tired defenders with mids that are able to support them through possession and creativity (Shalrie), now there's a thought.

18. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the spin masters are laying low so far. Hard to find anything positive about that effort except the direct kick.

Bottom line is that the Revs or SN, have produced yet another middle of the road team that will have a hard time beating anybody except the bottom dwellers. Did we even come close to scoring during the run? We cannot depend on the increasingly injured Joseph to the level we do. Is Dube really a starting pro forward in this league? Why is Phalen still employed? There's nobody better anywhere?

Want to know where the crowd has gone? Give me one reason anybody would pay to watch this team play? Dull, boring, ugly soccer. Can't see me attending any games this year until they do something to improve the product

19. propnut27

propnut27 Member

Barcelona, Tottenham Hotspur
    Germany
    Mar 15, 2009
    Naples Fl.
    Club:
    --other--

Not until I can detect some effort on Management's part to put a team on the pitch.

20. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree. But, it also applies to the guys out there now.
    We haven't seen Videira since last season. Maybe he's sharpened up his defense and work rate. Just an idea.

21. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Dead Weight...

Time for the Revs to either fish or cut bait with regards to Mauricio Castro. Tired of getting nothing from his $140,000 and International Roster spot. We could really use a Perovic-level signing that pushes Nyassi back to the bench.

22. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not his fault, though. Someone (Shalrie) needs to get him the ball.

23. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I didn't think anybody was bad yesterday. I thought Perovic was very good, Nyassi was good. He kept getting hit with no consequences either from the ref or from Phelan/Niouky. But when you put up Phelan and Niouky against Larentowicz and Mastroeni, you're putting up a backup and a rookie against a former USMNT star and a guy who'll probably be an all-star this year.

Given how bad Dube was all game I was really hoping to see Mansally and Jankauskas earlier.

Can we play against DC every week?

24. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    The walk-up crowd is gone - 8K on a gorgeous Sat night and Dallas outdrew us on a Thursday night game. Ouch!

Gotta agree with most thoughts. We are going to be a mid-table team that may or may not get into playoffs.

25. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    Unfortunately, you need possession in the midfield if a defender is ever going to get forward...

..and sinovic was left on an island with Cummings (who is a beast) and Kimura (I didn't remember him being that quick)... this let Kimura put deep crosses in and generally fill the empty space behind Cummings... Sinovic had little help and he had all he could do to try to contain Cummings...

the recipe for beating the revs (as shown by SJ and confirmed by Colorado) is press them physically (as physically as the ref will allow) and then when they cough it up (because they will... usually without getting much past midfield), get support forward as quickly as possible... if someone gets behind you (and they will if you use this system enough), it will be someone who can't finish... and you need your keeper to come up big maybe once or twice a game...

the result is only worsened if the ref lets a team get away with being real physical... Marufo went into the game yesterday believing that the revs are divers, and acted accordingly... [sarcasm alert]I guess the "wrath" of the massive crowd really intimidated him into giving the home side a little love[/sarcasm]...