Revs vs. Goons 11/6 - prematch

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Jon Martin, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    I think Gros might start over Adu.

Could go either way. From DC 3-1 to NE 2-0.

2. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I would start Gros over Adu. Gros is an excellent player, whose work ethic will be needed in the absence of the leg-breaker. Adu is going to look like Little Red Riding Hood out in those spooky, -ooky woods alone.

3. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    NE is lucky that Reis did not get a red card on the first PK, i guess that i can live with that, but not even a yellow??

4. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    In looking at the replay on MLSNET, it does look borderline: Reis can only use his feet on the poor attempt at a pass-back from John, and tackles through Martino just after he tries to touch the ball left to beat Reis. I don't think Reis deliberately looked to trip up Martino, but his momentum and angle to the play, coupled with Martino's decision to stay with it, touching the ball left at the last second, may have contributed to the lack of a booking. I.e., it was a tackle by Reis in an effort to get the ball, and not a professional foul, with the PK rightfully awarded, with the ref. using his discretion in deciding not to book him.

Just my opinion, but in hindsight: Reis was lucky not to have booked.

5. idiot wind

idiot wind Member

Mar 12, 2004
    I have no illusions about Adu being a complete player, and I agree Gros is a better choice if DCU plays a balanced midfield (it still bothers me that we didn't draft him). But the Revs biggest weaknesses (in a 3-5-2) are right defense and left midfield. DC can afford to give up some defensive cover on the right since Stewart is experienced enough to play conservatively and Leonard (or Kamler) is no big threat, and use Adu forward on the left to either pull Heaps wide (creating space for Moreno, Gomez,and Eskadarian to exploit) or force Ralston to drop deep. Without Kovalenko and Nelson, DCU is a much weaker defensive team and a conservative game will play into our strengths. But I think Nowak is the anti-Nicol. If DC is going to lose, they'll lose attacking, not defending and waiting for lucky bounces. It should be a fun game to watch.

6. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't talking about Sunday's game. I was only able to watch about half of it, but he played reasonably well from what I saw. To me, Leonard has just always seemed mistake prone, and the mistakes are most noticeable when he's playing as a stay-at-home defender. Heaps is similarly mistake prone, but his errors are more likely to come when he isn't staying back, so I like the decision to move Leonard up and keep Heaps back.

7. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    I agree. A yellow would have seemed very reasonable.

I wonder though if Martino's flamboyant embellishment had anything to do with the official's decision. As soon as Reis made the slightest contact with the Martino (aka "the Bearded Lady"), Martino catapulted himself in the air, skirts all aflutter, in an audacious dive worthy of Swan Lake.

But unfortunately for Mr. 75%, good officials don't play that.

8. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Leonard was adequate on defense and useless on offense. Columbus left him wide open on the left side, knowing that he posed no threat if he got the ball. Unfortunately, if Kamler isn't ready, there seems to be no one to replace him.

9. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I checked DCU's stats when playing without Nelson and the leg-breaking hack.

Without LBH they are 1-1-1

Without Nelson they are 3-4-4. 2 of these v NE, both draws

Without both they are 1-1-0. The win (1-0) was against NE thanks to an OG.

I'm gonna bet on the Revs (with Monopoly $$ of course). I think we are firing on all cylinders for the first time this year and I think missing lbh and Nelson is a significant hit for DCU.

10. Fiero20

Fiero20 Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

im actually surprised that john did not recieve a card after his tackle on cunningham in the box.

11. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Which would have resulted in him being suspended for this game. Ricardo was letting cards fly all day while Terry let the boys play. One could argue the differing approaches certainly creates an unlevel playing field in the next round.

12. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who will be the Ref for Saturday?

Sure hope it's someone who thinks that soccer isn't a game best played by teams committed to mugging the other team into submission. I hate it when a team like DCU gets away with disrupting another teams rhythm with fouls without playing the price by getting cards. I do like a Ref who lets the teams play but this is a match where the Ref needs to get control early and make sure that the outcome is based on skill rather than fouls.

13. dilbert

dilbert New Member

Oct 22, 2001

I agree ... I think Leonard has the speed that allows him to get back if he needs to, but he also seems better suited when he's on the move and not in one place. Heaps does a better job at home. They all seem to be doing a good job moving into the place of the person who has moved up.

14. Brian Gockley

Brian Gockley Member

May 20, 2004
    Lewisburg PA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those who have complained about the negative and critical tone that so many messages take on these boards, what do you think about having the topic of the game discussion be Revs vs. Goons? I want the Revs to win as much as anybody, but this seems an obvious way to start off negative. And what is a goon anyway? If we are going to be negative, why not go the whole hog and call it something really bad?

How about Revs vs. the Poopyheads?

or

Revs vs. the Evil Pile of Dung?

or

Revs vs. those arrogant bustards?

Go Revs! Pound those bustards

15. Anti-BigFrank

Anti-BigFrank New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    I like:

Revs. vs. "United, Enjoy Your Early Vacation'"

16. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Well, this would be good if we were in fact playing their supporters, and not the team ;) .

As is, the Revs are playing United, who when compared to the Revs in 2004, are a bunch of goons:

Alecko Eskandarian's lead the league in 2004 in yellow cards received...

Dema Kovalenko led the league in ejections...

Bryan Namoff and Ben Olsen were in the top six of those players having
    committed the most fouls league-wide in 2004...

D.C. United led the league in total fouls committed in 2004 by a wide-margin,
    this while the Revs had the second fewest in the entire league...

D.C. United led the league in total cautions received, while the Revs had the
    second fewest number of cautions in the entire league...

"D.C. United: Embrace Thug Life"

Go Revs

The Magpie

17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dog Crap United. Nuff said.

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could always use the South Park approach.

Revolution versus Giant Douche!

Revolution versus Turd Sandwiches!

Get your votes in! :D

19. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I see a t-shirt idea :)

20. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    courtesy of Sherlock®:
    goon

n ... 2: an aggressive and violent young criminal [syn: hood, hoodlum, punk, thug, tough, toughie, strong-armer]

21. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    I wish I could make it to this game for a bunch of reasons, I have the feeling that it will be a doozy, although DC on their patch scares me a lot.

RFK has the best atmosphere in MLS and one game away from the championship, plus the final match in the old configuration should make for a cauldron that I'd love to be a part of but this weekend isn't for travel unfortunately.

Go Revs, the way they hustled on Sunday was terrific, plus no little bit of skill.

JIM DOW

22. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, I think it is great that the negativity is being directed at the opposition not the Revs for a change! I don't recall anyone complaining about "going negative in the campaign" For Pete's sake, this is the playoffs, why shouldn't we be slinging some mud at the team that stands between us and another trip to the final?

And why would calling them bustards be negative anyway? Do you have something against Old World game birds?

23. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I dno't see anyone complaining about calling the Yankees the "Evil Empire," and for what it's worth: United are a bunch of goons. You don't have to take my opinion, just look at the stats in this case; they're pretty telling.

Besides, it's a far cry from United supporters who are planning to make big signs that say "Rusty eats babies."

The Magpie

24. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    the way i see it, if that many people hate you, you must be doing something right!!

so keep 'em coming

25. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, Saddam