Revs vs. Goons 11/6 - prematch

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Jon Martin, Nov 1, 2004.

1. kravi

kravi Member

May 3, 2004
    Section 134
    First of, I want to say that I hope y'all will come down to RFK to pander to your massochistic needs (as we trounce the Revolution). I am embarrassed and very apologetic about what happened last time, and there should be much better security now. :( So I want to apologise for having an otherwise fun day get ruined by a bunch of punks with their bottles.

As for your chances in RFK, well, don't hold your breath. You guys don't have much momentum (you couldn't beat Columbus the second game) and your play was kind of sloppy. Granted, Columbus' play was a lot worse.

DC is playing much better soccer than it was in previous games, though you are right about us playing a very physical game. We do, and it works. But y'all haven't beat us yet this year, and we've been playing very well lately. Still, it should be an entertaining match. I'm already so excited I'm having problems eating.

--kravi

P.S. I'd argue that Novak is the best "big game" coach right now.

2004: 2 2-0 wins in a row. No ties, no losses. :D

2. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland

i have and this is what i think

if he was such a great 'big game' coach as you say, NE would have a couple cups in their display case by now

the Revs could not finish LA in the final at their own stadium, what chance do they have in LA against possibly LA (never mind KC)

all those games you list were not 'big games', they were 'oh my God, we sucked all year so we better win a few if we want to be in the big game' games

3. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me get this straight... DCU has a lot of momentum because:

- They beat the self-imploding, stinkin' Metros four times in their last five games.

- One of those "wins" came when DCU scored a pair of meaningless goals.

- DCU is playing "attractive" soccer.

...but the Revs DON'T have any momentum because:

- They gave up a meaningless goal that cost them a win.

- They're playing "sloppy" soccer, it's just that Columbus was worse.

You think the Revs maybe, just maybe, had something to do with the fact that Columbus played poorly?

It's Cup soccer... this probably isn't going to be pretty on Saturday. It's going to be about which team wants it more, which team gets to the 50/50 balls, and which team takes their chances.

Momentum, previous results, home field, etc... it's all relatively meaningless.

4. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Which also earned us the 2002 Eastern Conference Championship.

I have two question.
    • Who will be the eastern conference champ this year, the winner of DC/NE or Columbus for finishing first in the east in regualr season?
    • Where is Franchino? Is he injured?
    I not optimistic about this game: DC 3 - 1 NE

5. Tobas

Tobas Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Littleton, MA
    Player wise these two teams match-up fairly closely. I am confident that Nicol will continue with the 352 against DC. The only player questions I have are if Leonard or Kamler will start on the wing and if Cancela or Dorman will start in the attacking mid.

I hope again for more of the same in the lineup.
    -----Twellman----Noonan
    ----------Cancela
    -Leonard-----------Ralston
    -----Joseph--Dempsey
    ---John---Pierce---Heaps

I am assuming a DC lineup of
    ------Esky----Moreno
    ---------Gomez
    -Gros----Olsen----Stewart
    ---------Caroll
    ---Petke---Ezra---Namoff

- Ralston vs Gros. Ralston has a better overall game then Gros; this is the Revs best match-up. Adv Revs
    - Leonard vs Stewart. Stewart is a solid contributor but is not very dangerous by himself. Leonard is a more of a role-player in this formation, should help nullify Stewart for the most part. Still Adv DC.
    - Joseph, Dempsey, Cancela vs Caroll, Olsen, Gomez. Joseph and Dempsey have really started clicking well together in the twin DM position. This should stop the threat of Gomez and Olsen. Cancela’s ball skill should be limited by Caroll being all over him. Adv Draw
    - Twellman, Noonan vs Petke, Ezra, Namoff. Twellman is on the top of his game and could threaten DC with a slightly off lineup without Nelson. Noonan has been fairly quiet in the last two games and does not match up well against DC. Adv Draw
    - Esky, Moreno vs John, Pierce, Heaps. Esky has a great shot, but Revs have been shutting down the center of the field to prevent many shots of late. Moreno is the wild card, as he often likes to make runs against us from our right. Moreno may be able to turn Heaps and create havoc in the defense to create chances. The key is to limit Moreno from having the space to get a running start at the defense. Adv Draw

- Set pieces should be in the Revs advantage as the Revs have more and better headers. Adv Revs
    - Home crowd will definitely go to DC. Adv DC
    - Bench, Rev-Kamler, Dorman, Baker. DC- Prideaux, Adu, Quaranta. Adv Draw

It will likely be a physical game despite the two teams finishing on opposite ends of the fouls committed during the regular season. If the Revs come out and play hard and physical from the start, it should be a close game 1-0 or 2-1 late in the game. The Revs have a good chance to win based on their current form.

Let’s go Revs!

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say, I was a little surprised in that it seemed like every 50/50 ball yesterday was taken by the Revs. I know that's not true, but I just saw them hustling to the point I don't think I've seen this year. Now this by itself doesn't surprise me ... but the fact that it should have been CBus doing so but couldn't ... shocks me.

If we play like that in DC, I like our chances. If we sit back and play for one goal (see MLS Cup 02, Fire playoff match last year) then I definitely don't. It's just that simple ... if they fight for everything like they did yesterday, we could pull off the upset.

7. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A. Whoever wins this is the conference champion for the year. Whether or not that's exactly fair to the squad that had the best record all year but couldn't get their act together for the playoffs is a question I'll leave to the league commissioner.

B. Franchino is recovering from surgery; his season ended some time ago.

8. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    • The winner of DCU-NE.
    • JF is injured, and will not return this year.

9. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland

10. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    Look, no one is saying DC is a bad team. But this is a Revs board, and they are our team, so we see the players in a favorable light. Did you come over here just to argue?

11. cageyfoot

cageyfoot New Member

Feb 8, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Finally, someone spoke up.

12. FCGalaxy1996

FCGalaxy1996 New Member

Oct 19, 2004
    LA
    I hope to see a good game good luck to both teams. It will be needed in LA vs the Galaxy on November 14! :D

13. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Eactly!! 2002 MLS Cup rematch @ Home Depot Center!! How sweet could that be if we win that match.

14. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, I'm gettin sick of these trolls.

Both teams are on a roll. I'm not too impressed about DC. They beat the Mutts. A team notorious for choking at the end of the season. Seriously, not a big feat.
    Revs 1 DC 0

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    beating the mutts whats the big deal,,,,noonan did it a few times last year by himself!

16. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    you are right

i feel rather trollish right about now

but it just the excitment of it all, its been a while for us down in DC land

17. Bman

Bman Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Beverly, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if the Rev's have anything to say about it, it'll be a while longer. :)

18. Crewbasher

Crewbasher Member

Jul 7, 1999
    The Enemy Base
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) The winner of DC/ NE will be the Eastern Conference Champion - it's usually the playoff winner. In 2002, even though they had the different playoff structure, we still were Eastern Conf. Champs because not only did we finish first in the conference in the regular season, but we also beat the two remaining Eastern Conference teams in the playoffs.
    2) Yup, he's injured (hip surgery??? I don't remember). But yeah, he's done for the year.

19. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the level of optimism in here, I'm guessing we lose.

:/

20. dilbert

dilbert New Member

Oct 22, 2001

What mistakes are you refering to my Leonard? Are you refering to the two mistakes made by Avery in the Columbus game, both of which Wyndala sited Leonard for.

21. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    I was just about to bring that up.

Leonard's play was not spectacular, but I didn't see any big mistakes.

22. idiot wind

idiot wind Member

Mar 12, 2004
    From a Rev standpoint, I'd rather see Kovalenko than Adu. Ralston and Heaps will struggle with Adu's speed, and Adu is a much better playmaker. Given space wide by a three man backline, Adu will be dangerous. If the Ref doesn't let us kick him, he'll tie up our entire right side in defense. DC's weakness will be on their right, since Olsen will have to lie left to cover Adu, and Carroll stay central to shield Henrikson, but Leonard hardly seems likely to exploit Stewart. That seems to translate into more direct play up the middle. Good chance Ezra will screw up once or twice, particularly if Dempsey can get forward to finish the layoffs. As long as we keep it ugly and chippy we might get lucky again. However, if DCU gets it flowing, it's lights out.

23. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said it before the last two matches and it's seemed to work---so----

"WHY NOT US?"

SERIOUSLY though, this Rev squad has a lot of pent up frustration and undigested humble pie to work out of their system. We will be starting the same formation for the third or fourth match for the first time this season and it's a group that is starting to play as a well balanced unit and with confidence. Unfortunately TnT still has not regained his scoring touch although the goal the other night might have unblocked him a bit. This is the side we had hoped we would see at the beginning of the season. This match will be won or lost in the midfield. I give this edge to the Revs.

Revs 2--DCU 1

24. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    I think you're overrating Adu a bit. He's a good young player. But he ain't all that - yet.

Dema, as much as he's a guy you love to hate, does a ton of dirty work for DC in the middle of the field. He applies defensive pressure, makes timely fouls (which is scripted part of this team's game plan), and gets involved in the offense when the tide turns. He's also a very decent possesion midfielder.

Given a choice, I'd rather have Kovalenko out than Freddy any day although the Revs will definitely have to work at containing Freddy. But Freddy's man is going to get open. The prospect of another PK however is a frightening one. And the teenager has shown willingness and aptitude for diving against NE. Hate to see a hometown call decide the game.

DC plays a nice team game. But if you're going to be worried about one individual on that team, IMO that individual is definitely Moreno (this year's MVP?).

25. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. Clint Dempsey, you have the chance to make 55,000 asshat trolls from DC shut up.

Why not us?

If 15 men believe they can do it, they will.

"You tell them I'm coming, and hell's coming with me."

Seriously, I'm going to laugh my frigging ass off if the Revs pull this out. The DC board would be a frigging wake. (Not Wake.)

Do it, you Revs. Do it because nobody thinks you can.

Revs 3-1 United.