Revs v United: Game of the season [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Northside Rovers, Nov 8, 2004.

1. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    I can't give you enough rep for this post. You don't know how many times I am met with resistance making this exact point. I claim there are many soccer fans don't watch MLS becuase it is dull. I am met with "where is your proof" "what statisitcs do you have to prove this". I am just glad you are here to say this. Thanks

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, you still have no real proof, only one man's story. And one wife's. And one boy's.

However, if its any consolation, Fire GM Peter Wilt would appear to agree with you. Drop by the Fire boards and you'll see that he writes (to paraphrase) - 1) "We need more games like this in MLS" and 2) "If we had them, people would watch."

Yes and yes. I like Peter, he's like Bruce Arena, at least they're not B.Sing you like most soccer executives do.

3. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    How could you possibly have proof? What do you want, statisics? Everyone that watches MLS and doesn't like it are not required to log their feelings in to be tabulated. They just stop watching. They stop going to games. I have plenty of friend that I have brought to games over the last 3 years and hear what they say. I read what people say here. I read plenty of articles about soccer. And I go to about 15-20 games a year. From these things I get a feel for whats going on. Sometimes you don't need stats to prove something is happening, atleast I dont.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the compliment. We tried our best. Hell, we must have done a good job if you thought we had that many, as we only had 12 in our group. :)

But our throats were just as dry after the game. The only difference was that our eyes weren't. :(

But what a great great game. I walked around near the Eagles tailgate and congratulated as many of the DC fans as I could. I wasn't sure if I could make it to the game due to obligations at 10 am the next morning back here, but I would have absolutely hated myself if I didn't go. What a great time, what a great atmosphere at the stadium, and what a great game.

It's too bad it had to end.

5. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Proof? Watch almost any match on ESPN2 if you want proof that regular season MLS games are a relatively dull affair.

6. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    But yet people still can't fathom a soccer fan not enjoying the MLS experience. 'If they don't like it, they must be eurosnobs' 'If they don't like it, they must not like soccer all that much'. 'They only follow soccer from their native country'. It is a very strange phenomena. Is watching grass grow boring?? I don't know, there are no available stats to prove it out..

7. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    True.
    I also have many friends, most of them having played semi-and-professional soccer overseas in their prime years, who follow the international leagues on a daily basis but have not/will not get into MLS... solely for lack of intensity on the field.

8. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    FOX showed this game again, but edited out the overtime and just talked over the highlights of the shootout. Wonder if it is possible to get the entire game somewhere. It was really too good not to have saved in the collection.