Post-match: Revs v Athuglante (R)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by SirFozzie, Jul 30, 2008.

1. BuckeyeBrian103

Jul 10, 2008
    Methuen, MA/ Columbus, OH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank God...it wouldnt look good with only 4,000 in attendance. This should be over 20k

2. rmcgo

rmcgo New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Good 10 pm is past my bedtime.

3. Danilo Luvano

Danilo Luvano New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    DFW, TX
    Vilar should be FINED and SUSPENDED for his remarks about this Country but then again, I doubt that's even going to happen. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a slap on the wrist from the FMF and from the CONCACAF.

P.S: Vote Barr/Root in 08' please don't Vote for Juan...never mind, I'm not gonna go there.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a point of comparison, in the 2007 MLS regular season, there were 54 ejections in 180 regular season games. Therefore the number of players ejected in this game was 2000% of the MLS 2007 regular season average.

Through the games of this past weekend, MLS 2008 was averaging 0.28 ejections per game (lower than 2007).

5. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    So we meet again....... again.

6. Anglokick

Anglokick New Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Can anyone who speaks Spanish paraphrase what the player going after Albright at the end of the game said in the impromptu television interview?

7. OrangeCajun

OrangeCajun Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you guys have anyone besides Heaps that will be out because of yellow card accumulation?

8. Danilo Luvano

Danilo Luvano New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    DFW, TX
    That's right, and this time, your Dynamo is going down. :D

9. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize we played without the best forward and central defender in the league, don't you?

And Reis may not have had his best game, but he and several other MLS keepers are better then any of the keepers in the Mexican league with the notable exception of Ochoa.

10. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    you mean the gk? he pretty much said that USA is a dangerous country where refs can be bought and that it was pretty much a disgrace that the refs decided the game (the coach pretty much said the same thing)

11. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

??Matt?Reis?? :confused:

...But I get your point ;)

12. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He couldn't speak - this is a very dangerous country.

:rolleyes:

13. OrangeCajun

OrangeCajun Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He said "you can by anything here, I better not say anything else, this is a dangerous country".

14. rmcgo

rmcgo New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    ease up there...I like Parkhurst, but to say he is the best central defender in the league might be a little much. Parkhurst hasn't exactly been steeler on D this year.

Would have loved to see Taylor in there tonight, crowd was cheering for him to get in...he acknowledged the fans with a grin.

15. Danilo Luvano

Danilo Luvano New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    DFW, TX
    If this bigot doesn't get fined and suspended then I think I'm gonna puke. Like I've stated previously, his comments were way out of line and totally uncalled for.

16. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    forget about the comments, he should get a nice long suspension just for what he created at the end of the match

17. OrangeCajun

OrangeCajun Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck, MLS teams have played mexican teams in the CCC (shorthanded) and done well. You guys even had to play your " home" game in bermuda, the last time you were in the CCC. If mexican teams can't win than obviously it was'nt their fault.:rolleyes:

18. Danilo Luvano

Danilo Luvano New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    DFW, TX
    He's probably going to get a small slap on the wrist for the things that he did during this Match. If I were Jack Warner, I would have suspended him 6 months without pay. Bashing a Country just because you lost your match was totally uncalled for. Heck, can you imagine what would have happened if Matt Reis were to say the same things that Vilar said in Mexico?

19. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right about Parkhurst's performances this year - they've been up and down. But, who would you take ahead of him in central d? Conrad, maybe, but he's been a bit shakey this year as well. Soumare? Not yet. Robinson? Cochrane? Not a lot of choices there.

I would have liked to see Taylor get some minutes, too. I was hoping for a 15 minute run-out. At least until things got chippy.

20. GodofJebus

GodofJebus New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    L.A
    \

im not saying his a great person but im just talking about him as a great goalkeeper and how his proved himsellf in the mexican league. I was just making a point i doubt he would wanna play in the MLS.

21. GodofJebus

GodofJebus New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    L.A

I know and I understand that.
    I was saying that in my opinion the few players missing in the other mexican teams would make a bigger difference for the end result of the games than in the REVS team.
    for example, G.Perreyra means more to Atlante in their effectivity creating chances to score than Twellman for Revolution

22. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
    We're going to hear a lot stupid crap like this over the next 5 years as our teams start beating theirs. They'll blame it on anything but themselves. The same thing happened with the national teams for 10 years. The generation of Mexican national team players that had to deal with us catching up to (and perhaps passing) them are phasing out now. The next generation seems to have more respect. I'm guessing we'll have to deal with the same thing on the club level.

23. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parkhurst was defender of the year in MLS last year. He typically plays in a three man back line with Heaps and Allbright who aren't exactly stellar defenders and the Revs still have a solid defense. I think you're way off base on this one.

Regarding the match, I thought the Revs played well (as did Atlante -- I noted just before our goal that I thought Atlante had played the best against us of the three MFL teams). I was really impressed with Igwe. He was OK on defense and a solid threat going forward. But once again in this tournament, our DMids really stepped up.

The ref was just bad. I'm pretty sure Batres did one of the WC qualifiers for 2006 and certain that he did a Concacaf Gold Cup last year (I noted this because my Guatemalan friend commented that it was embarrassing that Batres was viewed as the best ref from his country). I thought the Revs got the worse of the carding on the run of play stuff (there were at least two clearcut professional fouls in the second half that went uncarded), but I would also argue that Atlante had a decent shout for a penalty on the Larentowicz play (it looked to me like ball playing hand, but that call has been interpreted otherwise in the past).

24. Foxhound6

Foxhound6 New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    The North End
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone have video of the post-game? My blind as a bat girlfriend wants to see what happened during the scrum because she couldn't see. And of course, you don't see that in the family friendly highlight reel, even though you figure 5 ejections at the close of the game would be a newsworthy event.

25. GodofJebus

GodofJebus New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    L.A
    Ochoa is the best keeper in the mexican league but other goalkeepers such as CDG goalkeeper Michel and Calero and Sanchez and other mexican league goalkeepers can easily be the best goalie in the mls. But im not saying mls goalkeeper arent good in fact i thing Reis deserves a chance in th USMT but Howard is the main guy.
    Speaking of Howard i heard Ochoa might replace him because i heard Everton is interested in him.
    Anyways MLS has good goalkeepers that get the jod done.