Post-match: Revs v Athuglante (R)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by SirFozzie, Jul 30, 2008.

1. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a big deal.

2. ChcgoStingInMyBlood

Jun 15, 2005
    Jeremy Goodwin said:

You're awesome Jeremy thanks for going to the trouble. Excellent video quality too.

Well if the handball the other night against the other Mexican team that resulted in a penalty was legit, then so should have this one. But that doesn't excuse the post-game bullcrap of course.

However, the law regarding this (I used law and not rule, I'm so proud of myself) means nothing as we all know and is never consistently followed (both Mexico-US WC 2002 and US-Germany WC 2002 had handballs that might've been called). If a player makes a movement with the arm in the direction of the ball, intentional or not, then I think the call should be made. Not an easy one for a ref.

3. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the handling was clear-cut enough that it would have been an automatic penalty if the referee saw it clearly---Larentowicz had his arm extended such that it appeared he was trying to block a cross. Therefore, I would have to conclude that he did not see it clearly. If he didn't, it might have looked like a legal deflection; if it hadn't struck an extended arm, there would no longer have been a question of something being positioned to illegally block the ball.

4. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luckily for him, it was also right next to his leg. When I saw it the first time I only noticed the leg, probably since the leg is much bigger. When I saw it in slow motion it clearly hit the arm, but its not like the arm was extended out somewhere Maradona style so its easy to understand a ref missing it. Still sucks if you are the team that doesn't get the call, but it happens all the time.

5. Shadow10

Shadow10 New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Let's see what the attendence is when the REVS beat the Fire again...