Revs - United Pre-game

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Bill Duggan, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Bill Duggan

Bill Duggan New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    MA
    Cant believe nobody got this one going yet.

Anyway, can we make it a four game unbeaten streal? I doubt it, but i will predict a revs win anyway... 2-0

We should go with an offensive lineup to match united's poor offense.

Brown
    Heaps Kante Llamossa (Pierce) Franchino
    Ralston Pierce (Cullen) Hernandez Kamler
    Chacon Twellman

A lineup full of ifs. If Llamossa is out, Pierce will play CB and Cullen in CM.
    I am sick of Griffiths so i am going with Kamler at the wing.
    I would like to see Franchino in LM so maybe he could switch with Kamler.
    Chacon should get a start. This is his style of game, he can get good chances and probably some points.

If Twellman is left alone up top, Revs wont score. DC has a weak offense so maybe Brown can get another Clean Sheet to his tally.

2. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I see this differently.

- DCU scored 4 against San Jose last weekend. They are certainly capable of doing the same against us.

- Why change what works? Chacon hasn't integrated with this team all year, and as likely as not, will not wear a Rev jersey after this month. What do the playoffs mean to him?

- The only thing I would change from last game is to have Cullen be more ready to slide into the right fullback position so that Heaps can range forward more easily. Harris can sub in at 60' if we need to change the look.

Some may say that this is boring soccer. I would argue that we will play exciting attacking soccer when we have exciting attacking options other than Ralston to TnT. Only 6 more months to the superdraft.

3. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    For only the 3rd game this season, United will actually have a full healthy squad to choose from (except for Quaranta)..

In our previous two games with the full squad, we drew away to San Jose (2-2) and pounded San Jose at home (4-2)..

This obviously is a different team from the one that you saw at RFK last month.. The Revs won that match despite being completely outplayed... Let's also remember that match was in the middle of their now long gone goal less streak...

I've always maintained that if and when United had a full squad to choose from, they would be dangerous and that they took the season series quite convincingly from the defending champs is an indication of their potential with everyone healthy..

This is it for United.. It's either win this match or kiss the playoffs goodbye IMHO..

Look for United to play Reyes man on man with Ralston (he most effectively marked Ralston out of their last match) and for United to attack non-stop..

This is their probably lineup:

--------------------- Rimando -------------------

Prideaux ------------- Pope ------------- Nelsen

------------- Williams ----- Reyes ----------------

Olsen ---------------- Etch -------------- Convey

---------------- Moreno ------ Quintanilla --------

This game has the potential to be one of the best games in MLS this season due solely to what is at stake for the loser of this match.. The Thursday Burn/Metrotards match is also of vital importance to the winner of this match as well..

My prediction is that United finally breaks their duck on the road and slugs out a 2-1 win..

Goals by Moreno, Quintanilla and Twellman...

4. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Milton Reyes has a good shot at the MLS "Thug of the Year Award."

5. Bill Duggan

Bill Duggan New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    MA
    C'mon, you cant possibly think that United still has a shot at the post season, we have the slimest of chances for a spot and we're the team standing in front of united.

Anyway, I do agree that this could be a classic. The Revs will attack now since they are at their home pitch and United's defense will falter.
    I'll say it right now, the first half will be key, whatever the result at the half will be the end result in this one.

6. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    Historically, the Revs almost always choke playing big games against DC United. My guess is that this game will be no different, especially if the Revs underestimate DCU.

7. glennmcdonald

glennmcdonald Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Estonia
    No, no, the Revs only choke against DC's second team. If the DC starters are all in, we should do fine.

8. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    --------------------- Brown -------------------

--Heaps ----- Kante ------ Rusty ------ Franchino

----Ralston ---- Cullen ---- Hernandez --- Griffiths

---------------- Wolde ------ Twellman --------

Revs 3-2.

9. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    As opposed to those two angels Franchino and Pierce?

Reyes is hardly a thug player....

10. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    All of United's games are against teams that they are in direct competition with..

2 versus the Metrotards and 1 versus NE..

If (and that is a big if) United wins out their remaining matches, it's impossible for them not to make the playoffs considering that they will own the tiebreakers against both NE and the Tards and one of the 3 teams involved will definitely make the postseason..

11. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    Regardless of the nuances of qualification this should be a terrific match. I agree about DC bringing its' "first team" and can imagine the Revs having to chase the game but this should be hard, fast, tough and with no little skill on display. Sure, these are the two current bottom feeders of MLS but it is the US version of a relegation battle which often makes for better matches than the stuff at the top end of the table.

Go Revs!

JIM DOW

12. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    revs 3-1.

They will start out like they did against colorado. The san jose game is kinda a fluke, san jose is the second worse road team, because they are use to playing in the sand box. They can't cover the wide runs that other teams use. DC will continue its losing ways on the road and fall to 0-10-3. Twellman scores two.

13. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Help request, what is tiebreaker #2, goals head to head? If so, results so far, home listed first.

DCU 3 NE 2
    NE 2 DCU 0
    DCU 0 NE 1

That translates to NE 5-3 total goals, NE 3-0 away goals. A hypothetical 1-0 DCU win, or even 2-1, still keeps the NE tiebreaker advantage I'd think. But I could be wrong, seeing as MLS rules are so confusing I barely pay attention to them.

14. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Granted the Quacks are a much different team on the road, Untied scored four goals despite spotting the visitors a 2-1 advantage.

This match should be interesting Saturday, especially with the Revs having to win to keep the Mutts from pulling the plug (My son's looking forward to seeing Alegria and his brothers, Claritin and Zyrtec).

FWIW, with the Mutts going down in flames and Diallo on the sidelines (it looks that way, at least - Adin Brown's sure going to miss him),the Revs missed a golden opportunity by not coming away with three points against the Crew.

15. Bill Duggan

Bill Duggan New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    MA
    According to Planetfootball.com, Diallo is out at least 3 weeks, which probably means the bastard will miss the revs game. Anyway, DCU will finish 9th with the Mutts finishing in 10th!
    It doesnt seem as if United will win this one, but we are the Revolution, so who knows.

16. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Tiebreaker #1 is head to head competition (If United wins, it is a draw and on to the next tiebreaker.. If New England wins, NE wins the tiebreaker if DC and NE end up tied at seasons end)..

Tiebreaker #2 is total goal difference in all league matches, not matches head to head.. At this point, both teams are tied at -7 goals.. Obviously if one or the other teams wins on Saturday, they have both tiebreakers in their favor provided they don't get blown out of any remaining games..

17. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Thanks for the heads up. You were correct on the tiebreaker then, I had thought #2 was head to head goals.

18. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a winner

DC hasn't won an away game all season and I see no reason for them to start now. I was surprised that DC did so well against SJ, but considering how poor SJ is on the road and that their GK doubled his season playing minutes with the DC game, I am still unimpressed.

We have shut out DC twice and that was before the guys started getting serious.

DC will work hard to score a goal and we'll go NE 2:1 DC.

I hope...

19. CTREVS

CTREVS Member

New England Revolution
    Apr 18, 2002
    Hamden
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who does KC play the rest of the way? Technically we can still catch them too. Hope we win tommorow, DC beats the Mutts twice and we beat them the last day.

20. George Griffin

George Griffin New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    I think the Revs only chance of post season play is to win the last three. The other teams were chasing have not been cooperating with losses (KC and Mutts). I guess the only way to proceed is to win one at a time. Again, I'd love to see it come down to the last day--Revs-Mutts--winner take all. The North-East Darby!

Back to the matter at hand: Injury Report says that both Morino and McKinleyare questionable for tomorrow. The Revs are close to healthy with the exception of Llamosa and Cloutier.

Brown
    Heaps, Pierce, Kante, Franchino
    Ralston, Cullen, Hernandez, Griffith
    TnT, Woldi

This is a strong starting eleven and if it can play as well as it did against the CRapids 10 days ago should do OK. DCU will be fighting for it's life and will do anything to break the road jinks. DCU has some key players back and are corrently playing much better than they have all season. They will not be a puchover. I think it will be a very tough match with a one goal differential at the end. Revs 2-1