Revs SuperDraft Picks Announced

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by JG_Revs, Oct 30, 2002.

1. JG_Revs

JG_Revs Moderator

Sep 11, 1999
    Boston
    Entire order unveiled ( http://www.mlsnet.com/content/02/mls1030draft.html ).

We have our natural ninth selection in the first (#9), second (#19), third (#29), and fifth rounds (#49).

We also get the #22 (second pick of the third round) from Metro, and #57 (seventh pick of the fifth round) from Columbus.

Both picks come from SuperDraft 2002:
    - NE trades the 30th pick (Sam Forko) to MET for the Metros' 2003 third-round pick
    - NE trades the 51st pick to Columbus for the Crew's sixth round pick in 2003 (Christof Lindenmayer) for the Crew's sixth round pick in 2003. [We ended up passing at #52, so at least we got a little value from #51.

Our natural fourth round pick (#39) goes to San Jose, presumable for the cap room we acquired earlier this year to add Griffiths and Leonard. That's a relief, since some people speculated the pick we relenquished would be higher. Our natural sixth round selection (#59) goes to DC. The transaction this came from escapes me. All I can think of is trading for cap room or compensation for Kante.

2. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not too bad. 4 picks in the top 30. Obviuously the first few picks have the best chance of bagging a starter but I suspect there will be jewels available even in the third round.

When is the SUPER draft? Feb?

Anyone want to guess what MLS will be doing with roster size and Cap for 2003?

Anyone want to guess what effect the MLS plan to expand in 2004 will have on what they do for Cap and Roster size in 2003?

3. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    January 17th in KC at the NSCAA convention. No word on a senior bowl (formerly UMBRO) showcase.

Rosters are expanded to 24 for 2003. I think Garber announced this at the MLS Cup.

4. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Re: Re: Revs SuperDraft Picks Announced

From what I've read on other boards, the increase is to the P-40/developmental spots, not the regular roster.

5. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Trawling for data on other boards:

This, from the Dallas board, was sobering.

ChrisE - "Actually, it's not hard at all to find what's around the #21, if you just do a google search for 'superdraft 200*.' Last year Ian Fuller was taken at 21, but Jon Busch went at 23 and Gavin Glinton went at 25. In 2001 Nick Downing went at 21, but Eddie Johnson went at 19 and Edson Buddle and Jim Curtin went at 27 and 29 respectively. Chivas went at 22 in 2000, Peter Vagenas went at 23. We should be able to pick up three to five quality players (I have no idea how deep this draft will be), the problem will be keeping them on a roster as full as ours."

6. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I think this may be the first time one of my posts was taken seriously...

However, I was overestimating the number of picks we would have rather significantly (MLS hadn't released the draft list yet). We'll still have 4 in the top 21, which isn't bad but probably means we won't have more than three guys make the roster. Not bad, but I imagine two of the three will be developmental players (especially if MLS increases the slots) and as such won't be contributing for a while. We will, of course, be getting last year's number one (Gbandi) at long last and if he pans out half as well as Twellman I'll be pretty pleased.

7. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for confirming the dates and roster size. I'm a bit concerned with the possibility of again only having a 18 man senior roster. Expanding the Developmental Roster idea is not realistic unless they dramatically expand the P-40 numbers. It may be MLS's way of trying to start a reserve/developmental player system but it'd absolutely unrealistic to only pay someone $10K. Even if a player is local and lives at home that's not enough money to meet basic expenses.

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having a lot of "developmental" players on the roster is fairly useless, unless it's just a way to park a young player who you think might pan out in a year or two. The only way to get this to work is to have them play a regular schedule of competitive games, be they against A-League, D3, top amateur or college teams, as long as they are getting regular game action, and regular training/coaching with the senior club.

Think of a guy like Jamar Beasley, who was a raw talent, and where he might be now if he got any of this training/game time back in 98-99-00. We can't afford to throw away the next generation of players like this, especially if there will be 2 new teams in the next couple of years. I want to see the guys who are P-40s now grow into roles where they can be solid players in a couple of years. I hope to hell we don't still see stiffs like Billy Walsh starting for anyone in the 12-team league.

Tom

9. ManInBlack

ManInBlack New Member

Jul 6, 2001
    VT
    Has anyone noted yet that it *isn't worth it* to win the Eastern Conference if, as a result, you end up in the draft selection order *behind* San Jose, Colorado, and Dallas? Just another example of how stupid this conference alignment thing is. Especially next year, if they go to a home-and-home playoff system, when home-field advantage will be worth even less, since they apparently aren't going to count away goals.

(Pity the Raps, tho--they don't have a selection until the 3rd round--28th pick overall. Of course, there's a lot of wheeling and dealing to come.)