Revs @ SKC, Leg 2 Playoffs, 11/6 9PM

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Nov 3, 2013.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Win or tie, and the Revs are through. Sounds simple... doesn't it?

2. joegrav

joegrav Member+

Jun 9, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are two of the three things that can happen, so I guess that means we have a 66.67% chance of winning this thing. Right?

SJB, backpackpenguin and Achowat repped this.
  3. Brian Gockley

Brian Gockley Member

May 20, 2004
    Lewisburg PA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Major excitement about the Revs chances this year! And though I have always liked Dorman, I feel that Caldwell helps us more with our fast passing triangles, and so improves our attack. Obviously, Dorman came up huge in the first Columbus game, and Caldwell had a few bad errors, but we are better with him on! Can't wait till Wed.!

4. 6and33areGOD

6and33areGOD Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Anyone know how yellow card accumulation works in the playoffs? Not to get ahead of myself, but with like half the damn team getting yellows last night, this could be an issue if we advance.

5. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think any player getting another card would be out for the next playoff game.

6. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're saying it's not a must-win?

revsrock repped this.
  7. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well technically they say to look at this series as one big game. So, we MUST Win this game, were up at the half!

8. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    What is the TV plan for this? CSN or NBC or nothing?

9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's on CSN's backup channel.

10. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CSN alternate channels. Brad said on the broadcast that it would be joined in progress on the main CSN. No NBCSN for this as it's Hockey Night. He also said the blackout will be lifted on MLSlive and Direct Kick.

11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a dream.

SKC scores twice, but Revs net one late to make it 3-3 aggregate.

OT goes scoreless.

Revs go 5 for 5 in the PK shootout, with Agudelo, Fagundez, Nguyen, Reis and Rowe all scoring.
    SKC scores on their first 4, Benny steps up for the 5th and final PK. Reis guesses right and saves it, Revs advance!

ToMhIlL, Doublecard, Jon Martin and 4 others repped this.
  12. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    #12 CottageRev, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    I'm nervous about this one - maybe I'm too much of a pessimist but I was at the game on Saturday and despite the win I was deflated, knowing that SKC goal is going to be a huge difference-maker for the second leg.

I think a shutout is too much of an ask for the Revs, despite the overall good form of the defense. Sporting Park in my opinion is the toughest road venue in the league, and while SKC's forwards (besides the absent Kamara) have been poor most of the season in terms of finishing, they have more than enough talent in the midfield, and enough attacking talent/intent from their defenders, to put at least 1 past the Revs on Wednesday, and I don't see the Revs winning an endurance test once the score is tied.

So as lots of other posters have said, scoring at least once is essential, and I have tons of faith in the starting XI to do just that. However, if the Revs are chasing the game or the score is tied I don't know what adjustments they can make to get back ahead, and that's where Sene is really missed. Barrett isn't a difference-maker on that end. Playing Bengtson is like playing with 10 guys, and for those saying "I wish he could do what he does with Honduras," I saw a lot of the Honduras WCQ games and he really doesn't play any better - more sitters/tap-ins just seem to fall his way when he's with them. The best option might in fact be Davies, which isn't encouraging, but at least he's capable of running behind the defense and possibly drawing a PK.

I think they can pull it off, but it's definitely the toughest test this team has seen in a long time. So let's go Revs!

BUSA Bulldog repped this.
  13. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask yourself, who was in position to dish the first goal in Sat. night for the answer. Maybe Caldwell is more skilled but he is young. Dorman, has that experience to suddenly appear and then stick the knife in. I think he's proven that. So maybe the game plan should be, use them both at certain times during one game. PS: I think though, next game, Caldwell first then Dorman later if Caldwell proves ineffective.

14. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope your dream doesn't come true, LOL. I'd rather see a cruise for cardiac reasons.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  15. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do they manage away goals inthe playoffs? I know it was a non-factor in past years, but they are always tinkering, so it's hard to know for sure.

If KC win 3-2 do we advance even though the aggregate will be 4-4, or is it just a draw and OT and PKs follow?

That late goal really makes me worried. Even though 2-0 is allegedly the "toughest lead to defend," according to the pundits, I'd much rather be up 2-0 than 2-1.

16. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Away goals don't count for anything extra - an aggregate tie leads to OT and PKs.

The 2-1 scoreline unfortunately gives me flashbacks to the last time the Revs were in the playoffs in 2009 - they had a 2-1 lead going into Chicago, but could only hold onto it for 20 minutes and ended up losing either 3-2 or 4-2 on aggregate (I can't remember). Enduring three years of garbage just to come "full circle" to where the team was before would be pretty disappointing. I have to keep telling myself it's a totally different group of players and a totally different mentality now.

17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    My main concern is left back. We need either Tierney or Alston to recover enough to start. Barnes, IMO, is a disaster waiting to happen. And his passing is poor, to say the least. He gives us more size, but he doesn't have the mobility for outside back and he's too reluctant to move forward (there was one glaring play where he refused to take the open space and sat back while a simple square passed rolled out of touch).

I'm sure we will seek to play a balanced game to start off, but the questions are when we will drop back into defensive mode and whether we'll be able to pad our lead before then.

The plethora of cards may actually work in our favor. MLS is sure to take notice and whoever is reffing is pretty likely to be advised to call things tighter to keep tempers from getting blown.

18. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Instead of thinking "full circle" why not think sinusoidal? That way, yes, 3 years of crap and we are back to the point where we last got eliminated -and we may again- but not a circle.

A circle would mean we head right back down after this.... a sinusoid would mean the 3 years of crap were just the bottoming out areas and we are just oppositely passing the point of the last elimination. But, now we are trending upward. That's how the optimist in me sees it! :)

backpackpenguin, CottageRev and KapeGuy repped this.
  19. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    OK, like the thinking as it incorporates the X-axis of time.

But -- the "quality" line around which the Revs gyrate sinusoidally need to be moved much further up the Y-axis.

While we're redefining the trigonometry of all of this -- if the amplitude and period (only below the Y- quality line) could be reduced as well. Well, that would be a very acceptable curve.

CottageRev repped this.
  20. sputnikorbust

sputnikorbust Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I think having Tierney back would be a huge boost. He would allow us to stretch out KC's condensed midfield, making spaces for Lee and Kelyn. We severely lacked this Saturday night with Barnes "Alston-ing" (drifting too far centrally and leaving the left flank exposed) all the time.

21. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By George I think you've got it!!:p

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are the alternate channels the game will be on. Does anyone know if any of these will be in HD?
    • Comcast: Channel 85
    • Charter: Channel 341
    • AT&T: Channel 691
    • DISH Network: Channel 450
    • Full Channel: Channel 80
    • Braintree: Channel 24

24. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Of all the available refs, Geiger is probably the one I would have chosen.

bwidell repped this.
  25. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imbongo better be on his best behavior.