News: Revs signed José "Pepe" Moreno

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by CenterForward, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chillum

chillum Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Glasgow
    From Twitter:

Kyle McCarthy ‏ @kylejmccarthy

Several people have asked about Moreno. I have no update. I assume the residents of Foxboro will shout from their rooftops when he arrives.

Edit: Around 1 hour ago

2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well for laughs, let's define a "good" MLS forward as more than the 3 goals scored by Caraglio in 12 appearances. Take away his brace in the NY game and Caraglio scored 1 goal in 11 appearances. Maybe he would've done better with more support? Perhaps but just putting it in context.

If, and that's a HUGE if, Moreno is able to stay healthy enough to score what I think a decent MLS forward should in 1 season - 10 goals - I have a hard time thinking even the Revs would let him walk. Since he'll probably score 5-6 when all is said and done, I don't think not picking up the contract of a 31 year old who has under produced and doesn't want to be back will be much of a concern.

I'm certainly not saying don't go back to South America for strikers. Caraglio was the right age but was too slow and didn't score enough to bring back. Not holding my breath on Moreno doing squat here either. Hope I'm wrong!

3. shanary

shanary Member

Aug 18, 2008
    BOSTON
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we start a Moreno, pool/squares game? 5 bucks a square, squares are in 12 hour periods winner detetmined when McCarthy tweets he has arrived in the US?

4. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turns out he went to the original Boston in England.

Of course his Visa isn't for England so he's now stuck and it will take "a few weeks" to work out those issues so he can first go back to Colombia then try to fly to the USA.

Making it up...

5. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    He was paired with Zach Schilawski much of the time. Enough said.

Was he slow? Sure--but the guy punished defenders and held the ball up well.

He got lousy service from the Gambians and was on a wretched team in general. His technique on the ball was excellent.

He's been scoring goals in Chile.

I think he got a raw deal here, but maybe it's best for him that he left.

6. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    He's actually on a worse team in Chile. But in 8 matches he has scored 3 of their 6 goals. I'd have liked to have seen Caraglio on this team after a full preseason.

But the team has made the same mistakes again this season, bringing in the starting striker after the season has already started. Really frustrating and still no real explanation for the delays. Hopefully Moreno can hit the ground running and give us something dynamic up top.

7. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, did he get on the right plane?

8. bayernrevs

bayernrevs Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Mass.
    99 minutes until he's late being late running late on his second late reschedule after procrastinating and getting his visa late; one day prior to his already late loan starting date.

9. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is taking on the complexion of one of the innumerable stadium threads. And do I detect a common, er... thread in the two situations? Yes, as a matter of fact I do.

10. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So will Moreno show up with a stadium deal in his pocket?

11. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May I humbly suggest that we name the future home of the Revs "Moreno Stadium"?
    It too, like him, will be here in 60-90 days.

12. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Actually, I was thinking he might be an emissary from Liga Postobon for MLS to buy the entire Colombian league outright for that SUM Providence Equity Partners money of $150M or so.

MLS pays off all the debt, gets to scoop up all the top talent and runs it like a giant futbol factory and, hand in hand, with their skilled players and our organization and finances, we can finally overcome the Mexican league and win a CCL.

What, too grandiose?

13. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '

If Pepe shows up, my money is on his being Le Pew.

14. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh.

15. bayernrevs

bayernrevs Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Mass.
    Question: if Moreno does show up, does Heaps discipline him for this whole saga? You would have to think he should. Chances are he won't so as to not alienate him straight away.
    Heaps could start losing the team even prior to the home opener.

16. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we can just nickname Moreno "El Estadio."

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with all of this, including the Caraglio bit.
    This made me chuckle.
    As did this. :D
    I don't know if you can. Remember, according to Burns (and he'd never lie) you can't file paperwork for the Visa till the loan date begins, so technically, this was all out of Moreno's hands.

Or Burns is full of it.

18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love it! The guy doesn't want to play here, so when he finally shows up in May, let Heaps bench him for a few games to really teach him a lesson!

19. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Breaking News: Revolution supporter snaps picture of ride sent to pick up Moreno at Logan Airport just a few minutes ago...

[​IMG]

Revolution officials could not be reached for comment.

20. bayernrevs

bayernrevs Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Mass.
    The Revs are at Full-on Silent Mode about this situation today, leading me to believe he didn't show up yesterday.

21. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The organization going turtle is worse than him not showing up. It reinforces the notion that this is a Mickey Mouse operation run by people desperately trying to hide the fact that they don't know what they're doing.

22. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure Monty is letting us go over 500 posts because "When will Jose Moreno get here Part II" is a depressing thread title

23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much. I should have shut this at 500, but I keep thinking "He'll be here soon, and it's not worth a new thread."

But I'm confident in 60-90 days... :D

24. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pathos of Revs fandom: waiting by the phone for a call from a suitor you don't even like.

25. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Maybe he is carrying the new stadium with him