Revs sign another striker

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Jul 16, 2012.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NE Revolution@NERevolution
    The #Revs have acquired French striker Dimitry Imbongo on a free transfer after coming up through TSV 1860 Munich’s system....

...Imbongo, 22, joins the Revs after spending the 2011-12 season on loan from 1860 Munich to German third division club SV Darmstadt 98.

Imbongo will be officially added to the team pending the receipt of his U.S. P-1 Visa, & will count as an intl player on the #Revs roster

2. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This must be the project that was talked about. I like it. 22 year old, french-congolese striker. Yh, good upside. Really like what NE have done up top. I dont wanna jump the gun but the forward position seems to be set & for a while as well..

3. tylawfan1

tylawfan1 Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does this mean for Moreno? Blake? Diego's development? I'm wondering how much the Revs are on the hook for salaries if they were to drop Moreno and/or Brettschneider at this point. I'd have to think that considering Moreno's price tag v. production this could be the end of the road for him...

4. CenterForward

CenterForward Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm...

6. SethMan31

SethMan31 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Can't help but think that someone has to be on their way out soon because of the amount of strikers on this team. Nyassi or Boggs perhaps?

7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets hope they are not done with the summer signings. Team is in need of a defender big time. Not only does the back line have issues but the fact that lechner, Shalrie and Barnes are the back ups does not give me the warm fuzzies.
    As for this signing, lets hope he does better than the last African project players

8. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think they've signed Imbongo in anticipation of Moreno's departure at the end of the season - he's made no secret of the fact he's a one-and-done. Regarding Diego, no idea if the Revs envision him long-term as a winger or striker, though in his MLS appearances so far he's been much more effective up top than the midfield.

Good to see that Imbongo was also productive coming from the same level as Sene - not quite as productive as Sene but close.

Here are the rostered internationals right now:
    Sene
    Moreno
    Bengtson
    Lechner
    Imbongo
    Fagundez
    Cardenas

So the Revs have one spot left.

9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew that name sounded familiar. He played as a guest for the Revs Reserves on June 17th vs Columbus.

10. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    Defender next. Or two. Please. Thank you.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  11. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The less we see of Brettschneider the better, go Imbongo!

12. RevSoccerMV

RevSoccerMV Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems as though B,B,& H are solidifying our midfield & forward positions this year, and will probably address our defense & GK positions long term(hopefully)in the offseason. Id think theyre still going to try to get 1-2 more players this summer, defenders at that. Id be pretty content with our new FO's summer moves if one was Zoboli and the other was a backup wingback.(release Boggs &___?)

Anyways, seems like a good signing. Have to admit I know nothing about him other than whats been posted since he signed. Id guess hes getting $60-80K. Will be interesting to see how quickly hes used and if thats starting or off the bench. Im thinking he going to start & pair with Sene. But at the very least, this is one more step in the right direction(makes me wonder how much Sunil was holding things back).

13. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the Rev head-shed said they were going to revamp the lineup and they sure have. It will take awhile to see who is an upgrade and who is a bust. Since I've suspend any expectations of the team making the playoffs this year I find all this trial and error roster building fun. This team need a complete makeover and IMO that is just whats happening.

As to further additions--we surely will take under serious consideration using our #1 returning International option if one becomes available. I don't think roster slots will be an issue because we do have dead wood on the bottom half of the roster. The real issue will be Cap space

Watching this unfold is fun :p

BUSA Bulldog repped this.
  14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. I think the Revs can be the spoiler for a few teams trying to make a run but I think the playoffs is a far reach for this team with this defense. I have to think that Nyassi and his 90k salary is the next person gone. I was honestly surprised he wasn't let go a few weeks ago.

15. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's funny that we've gone from famine to feast up top considering the lack of movement the past 2+ years. It's pretty clear that either absentee executive Sunil was a bottleneck in making these happen or Burns suddenly figured out how to sign players. Just like everyone else I'm cautiously optimistic and hope this pans out.

16. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: SI slots: it's time for Diego to get a green card.

Jon Martin and revolution1776 repped this.
  17. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Good news - they're bringing people in

The Bad News - they're still bargain basement players

Yes, Diego should get a green card or something. He's going to become a numbers casualty if he doesn't. Heaps is going to have to clean house soon. No point in having people on the roster he will never use

18. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can he still cut? I thought we were past the date when we could free up cap space by cutting people. No?

19. RevSoccerMV

RevSoccerMV Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa whoa whoa there fella, nothing of the sort should even be thought of. If anything, its that he should get more PT to justify the roster spot, not cut him to free one up

20. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im saying that he's a prospect... if they keep bringing in people, his minutes will diminish. I dont think college is an option if hes being paid so its this or nothing for him. His chances would be better if he was not taking a foreign slot. He's a lot like Johnny Torres... maybe not even as good as Johnny and in the end... Johnny disappeared

21. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Hahaha I honestly can't take your opinion seriously anymore. Comparing Fagundez, a 17 year old professional, to Johnny Torres who didn't come to the league until 22 is asinine. Add this comment to your earlier one about Nguyen, and I just can't seem to value your opinion on our attacking players.

22. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    This team is 6 pts. behind from a playoff spot with a game in hand. Why have you already suspended any expectation of the team making the playoffs?

23. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do miss my old ignore list. :rolleyes:

24. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    While I'm still very surprised he's not a US Citizen since he's been here most of his life, even if Diego/his parents initiated the green card process when he first signed with the Revs it can take a long time. It took Nyassi almost 4 years to get his green card.

25. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cause its SoccerDoc and he's generally pessimistic. . . an outright NNN.

patfan1 and RevsLiverpool repped this.