Revs Roster Thread, 2019 Season

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Mar 14, 2019.

1. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I agree, but if the lateral move meant playing 1500 minutes over the next 12 months it would be a smart one to make

2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah true but he needs minutes. Parkhurst went to Denmark, Noonan and Soares went to Norway. Rennicks is talented but he's not walking into a top 4 Euro league team.

3. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's where Soares career ended. I don't think Rennicks is walking into a top 4 Euro league, but there are better options than Norway.

4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't realize Soares had retired. Apparently due to a head injury.

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Belgium may be a good place for him.

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Angking loaned out to Charlotte Independence (this is revokable, whereas I don't think Rennicks deal is - at least I didn't see that mentioned in his case).

Amazing to see a club that is actively addressing issues, instead of letting them just slide. :)

8. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are Herivaux and Wright still at Birmingham?

9. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're still listed on their roster page.

10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether it's Birmingham, Hartford or any other club, it is absolutely vital to get the guys who aren't regular contenders for the 18 into serious game action. It would be nice if Hartford could get better set up, since that would be ideal, and they could recall players (and give short-term loans and injury rehab) a lot easier than somewhere where a plan ticket is needed.

12. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Only other guy they really need to find a loan for now is Firmino (assuming he is healthy)

Really glad to see Angking and Rennicks going somewhere they can play

13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New England Revolution loan Isaac Angking, Justin Rennicks to USL
    August 2, 2019, 1:23PM EDT
    Jonathan Sigal

BrianLBI repped this.
  14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Window closes today. No rumors of any sort involving the Revs that I can find. About a month until the roster freeze so baring any last minute deals today or an out of contract signing in the next few weeks this roster is the hand that Bruce has to play with

15. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    I still love Player X's abilities.

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

17. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    I long for a CB who will allow them to return to a 3 back set.

Get another attacking player, or destroyer, into middle of field. Keep other teams honest ** closer to other teams own goal **.

18. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was an interesting discussion on ESPN FC a couple of weeks ago about whether coaches fit strategy to players or players to strategy. Stevie N said in MLS it was all about fitting strategy to players. When Parkhurst joined the Revs he made the switch to three in the back because of MP's vision and ability and the way he could run the show. No Parkie --> four in the back. I'm not sure how many reasonably priced CB's there are who can run a 3-back line the way MP did. That said, an upgrade to CB would be very useful. I'm OK with Bye's trajectory. Less sure about Jones, but I'll trust Bruce. IMO Castillo is too old to eliminate his errors, too slow to recover from them and needs to go.

I like the combination of Caicedo and Agudelo as the 6/8. Juan does a nice job of combining in the attack and is much better on d than I had expected. LCaicedo covers the back line well and with a nice bit of bite (a little too much sometime). I think our weakest spot is an effective 9. JCaicedo has been OK in holdup but not as a scorer. Teal is fast enough, good at the press, OK with holdup but an up and down scorer. I don't get the sense that he has what it takes to really dominate the opposing CB's. Bou, Gil, Penilla/Bunbury are very good underneath. I just hope that we see them get quicker and better with their final pass/shot.

So, I'm hoping for a CB upgrade and a center forward. Good ones are hard to find so I'm OK with sticking with the current roster and buying in the offseason.

A Casual Fan and Jon Martin repped this.
  19. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One area the revs are good is at CB. Really enjoying watching the Farrell-Delamea combination where Farrell's athleticism complements Delamea's vision quite well. So nice having depth there as well with Anibaba and Mancienne. O

area they need to improve upon is outside back. Bye has pace but he isn't a good crosser making his contribution limited as an attacking fullback. He's not very good defensively so he's not a pure stay at home fullback either. Same thoughts about Castillo. If there's an area to upgrade it's at either or both of those positions. The revs need a solid defensive minded left back to enable Castillo or whomever plays RB to make deep attacking runs.

Jon Martin repped this.
  20. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    A thoughtful post. I agree that center forward is a priority. Bou seems happy to rove rather than do the #9 hold-up chores, and a center forward who was both clever, fast, and strong combining with Bou and Gil would be terrifying. TB is quick, is a decent dribbler, and sees the field well without the ball, but is a streaky finisher, and with the ball combines poorly. JF Caicedo is surplus to requirements.

The next priority for me is commit to Jones or replace Castillo. Agree that L Caicedo and Agudelo have been a pleasant surprise at 6/8, but it would not be impossible to upgrade either, and there needs to be better depth at those positions.

We may see Mancienne this weekend. I'm not convinced that he's worth the $$$, but we haven't seen him in the BA era. If he goes, and there happens to be a giant at that position available, it would be very tempting.

21. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I still dont get where the idea that Bye is bad at crossing comes from. Hed have like 8 assists is Teal Bunbury could consistently finish

22. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're inaccurate and are often cleared. It's frustrating to watch.

LD42 and Brazile repped this.
  23. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    You and I must be watching different games then. Crossing is a low success action to begin with, but Bye hits his target reasonably consistently (especially considering he plays with an attacking band who are awful in the air). He gets to the endline and cuts passes back to open players in the 18 2-3 times a game. The fact that those passes have produced more throw ins than goals is on the person on the receiving end.

Doublecard and dcochran repped this.
  24. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd prefer Bye's crosses over Farrell's any day

rkupp, NFLPatriot and tsb11 repped this.
  25. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's a poor cross that doesn't make it to them, it's hard to blame them for not finishing. Just watch Bye next game, he makes it to the baseline but the next pass is too often a poor one. Same for Castillo.