News: Revs, Revere "in final stages" of talks on Wonderland Stadium

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Mike Marshall, Sep 20, 2012.

1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm probably the only guy on this board crazy enough to agree with you, but I've been a proponent of a stadium in that vicinity for several years. Funny thing is, I blogged about a stadium on a nearby parcel in 2010 and I remember Brian in Boston attacked it vociferously back then, too. Some things never change. :)

The Seaport area would be both a) a better location for more people in terms of proximity and visibility for this club than either Somerville or Revere and b) feasible, as you've outlined in context of the BCEC.

Money is money; the Krafts are playing "let's make a deal" and want the most public financing they can get. A prospective seaport location may not be out publicly in the papers because the Krafts probably learned their lesson the last time. It could work, although I'll admit it has the least probability of any GBA location (short of Boston Common of course).

2. Khkevin

Khkevin Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any Seaport location would be very expensive. It is a prime location for anything.

3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, but if Kraft wanted to build an accompanying retail area along the waterfront, the cost would be worth it.

4. UPStruk

UPStruk Member

Jan 28, 2008
    boston
    Great work on the rendering. This location is more in South Boston proper than the Seaport district. The convention center is about as long as the long dimension of the Boston Common or the length of Hannover st from the greenway to Commercial st. So while it's front is in the Seaport its rear is not. From an urban design standpoint this stadium would create a new face to the convention center facing the rest of the neighborhood. This idea along with new development along the sides of the convention center would start the ambitious project of creating a pedestrian connection between the seaport and south Boston (through currently industrial and warehouse areas). It certainly is an intriguing idea.

Who knows maybe this idea has been discussed behind closed doors. The krafts are frustratingly tight lipped, right?

5. UPStruk

UPStruk Member

Jan 28, 2008
    boston
  6. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    I feel like a lot of people forget that buying land is also an investment. Kraft is not losing the money he puts into a land purchase. Generally, land is a great investment, especially if he were to sell 15-20 years from now. Boston is not going to get any less dense or smaller.

7. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "South Boston Proper"? There is no such place. So. Boston is a zip code. It's all the City of Boston. Why make these meaningless distinctions? It minimizes Boston to seem less than it is as a city in the whole sense.

ProfZodiac repped this.
  8. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THANK YOU.

Drives me up a wall when someone says, "I don't live in Boston, I live in Charlestown" or some asinine nonsense like that.

Shit like that makes me wish Brookline hadn't voted no in 1870-whatever.

9. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    WOO HOO SEMANTICS!

RevsFanDan repped this.
  10. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially when all these elitist neighborhoods have their own "councils" that pretty much can kill projects on their own!!
    North End old ladies killed many a potential store/restaurant opening..MANY!

11. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, there I make an exception.... It would be truly criminal for an Olive Garden to open in the North End. Almost as bad as the Christmas Tree Shops in Bourne and Yarmouth.

12. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's truly criminal for an Olive Garden to open anywhere. And I thought Christmas Tree Shops actually started on the Cape. So they're kind of local.

13. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dunkin CrapNuts opened up a place at the Trevi Fountain in Rome about 15 years ago...I prayed for it to fail. There's no longer a DD at Trevi Fountain!!
    Now why aren't my prayers ever answered bout #Krapathy? Guess God doesn't exist! LOL

14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in the Milan train station many years ago with backpack in tow and an obvious American (overweight, t-shirt, sneakers and baseball hat) came up to me and asked in a loud, semi-Southern accent, "Where kin ah git me sumfin t'eat?" pointing at his wide-open mouth. I enjoy messing with people like that, so I stared at him blankly for a few seconds until he said "Aw main, yew cain't speak English, cain yew?" I replied in a generic "foreign" accent, "yis, a little." He repeated his question even louder, just so I would understand him better. I replied in a very dileberate way, making sure I pronounced the words that would have made my mythical English teacher proud, "There are minny restaraunt near-bah." At that point he turned around to ask the same question to someone else. If he had walked 25 feet out the door he would have seen a freakin' Wendy's right in front of him... I hope the bastard starved to death!

RevsFanDan repped this.
  15. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No wonder they hate us.

16. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes the answer is "no."

RevsFanDan and wolfp10 repped this.
  17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what you don't love a bargain?

18. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    or a man mall in foxboro

19. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, I've seen this firsthand with older relatives. I think their brain is strangely wired to their taste buds so that a bargain tastes good.

20. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    what's necessarily wrong with that?

21. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's wrong with that? Well, we all get one chance in the universe to walk the planet and some choose to do it eating at dreary L.C.D. chain establishments in a nylon jacket and white Velcro sneakers from WalMart.

22. UPStruk

UPStruk Member

Jan 28, 2008
    boston

The above two links are videos from a recent City of Revere sponsored development summit. Neither video is directly related to a soccer stadium (although the second video does make mention of the stadium possibility), but they do give a good background on what is happening in the city and what the City hopes will happen.

23. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    If they are convinced it tastes good, then it is all a matter of perspective...just as the things you perceive to taste good. Don't be so damn judgmental :)

24. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are right. Thank you for counseling me not to be judgmental. It's good to hear this from a sensitive friend such as you. :geek:

Transparent_Human repped this.
  25. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    :ninja: