Revs release Cassio

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by goyette82, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLSinHD

MLSinHD Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! Imagine Luis Figo playing in the midfield for us. This would be a tremendous pickup, but I'm not holding my breath.

2. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    Anyone care for an out-of-left field rumour. The Montreal Impact are expected to make a big announcement tonight. Most assumed that it's the signing of Brillant. However, at least two people in the know say that it concerns a current player (likely moving on).

Montreal has two senior intl central defenders (Gabriel Gervais and Nevio Pizzolitto) and a very good U20 central defender (Andrew Haineault). Gervais was linked to DC United, but that never happened. Their d-mid is also a Cdn intl, Sandro Grande, who was linked with LA in the off-season but an injury kept him out of action.

Apparently it's also definitely not keeper Greg Sutton. Who isn't an SI anyway.

The Revs will probably not be signing any of these guys, but who knows, I thought I'd throw the rumour out there, since it seems that one of these guys is likely moving on and you just freed an SI slot . . .

cheers,
    hobbes

PS> since I have as many intl caps as Felix Brillant, can I start calling myself a Canadian international? ;)

3. bonuela

bonuela New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    quincy ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I thought he was starting to show some maturity. And protective headgear. :p But you're probably right.

4. Aquarius21

Aquarius21 New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was wearing protective headgear when he got a serious concussion this year. If that happens with the headgear, sorry, you're useless :p

5. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, come on, he'd be plenty useful! Why, there are all those streamers to clean up on the field, and he could set out and take up all the banners in the stands. Plus, you've surely noticed my forsythia and lilacs are sorely in need of pruning, and I'd be happy to have him take care of them.

6. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    wait, I think you are on to something........when he picks up the streamers he could yell at us......THEN tie his hair up into a ponytail with the same streamers

7. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have a link on this?

If that's true, we could be looking at the "NASL II, Electric Boogaloo."

8. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Oh dear...

Hey, funny how nobody's mentioned Brillant's departure yet.

9. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brillant has been a non-factor this year. With Riley doing so well I don't think most folks realised that Brillant was still here, unless they read your Reserve Team match reports.

10. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    Can you imagine a Revolution lineup with Figo?

Twellman - Noonan

Figo - Cancela - Ralston

Joseph - Dempsey

John/Franchino - Parkhurst - Heaps

Reis

The more I look at that lineup the more I have to check my pants to make sure I didn't have a happy accident.

It won't happen though. And, besides, the rumored MLS team to make an offer for Figo are the Metrostars as Lalas has hinted at making them a superstar team. And it also helps that Lalas will be playing in Figo's All-Star charity match the last I heard.

Still. Figo? Any chance his wife comes along to watch a match or two?

11. Rev's Irish Rose

Rev's Irish Rose New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Somerville, MA.
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    BAR TAB will not be missed!!!!!:).

12. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Clearly, the league's not going to do something like this for the Revs. It's ok by me, though, as long as they raise the rest of the league's salary cap by $5 million...

13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AUGUST 15TH.

14. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, it's not exactly the "Lalas Plan." Word was coming out of the last round of league meetings that one of the resolutions was that teams were going to start spending more money on big name players to raise the league's profile.

But there's name players and there are lies. We all know who owns Sky Sports, so it shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

15. MLSinHD

MLSinHD Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to get my hopes up but is this report from Sky Sports legit, because I didn't see it on their website? I saw a piece on Figo mentioning West Ham in the article, but nothing MLS related. Maybe it was on FSC, but I didn't catch it.

16. rhiggz

rhiggz Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Oregon
    It definitely says that in the most recent Soccer America (Bocanegra and LD on the cover). Maybe rumor was me reading too much into it, but it definitely mentioned his name and Connor Casey as 2 player he liked/was interested in.

17. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Wasn't Riley a CB at Wake Forrest? Until the season started I remember he was listed as a CB. Then Nichols moved him to RM.

18. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah, and in the those combined 90 minutes he did more than that sorry bum Khano Smith. He's completely useless!

But yet, he's still here and Cassio is the one released. wow.

19. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    :p :p :p :p
    What's not mentioned in this snippet is how long his agent laughed at this undisclosed team!

20. jmm09

jmm09 Member

Jan 31, 2004
    New England
    I was wondering what people thought of Galven Rae from the Metrostars game. I believe that he was the striker that never stopped on the field. Both Endozian and Khano have proven that coming off the bench they could be useful but as far as pressing for the starters roll they have shown nothing. We need a forward like Galven Rae, Ruiz ect.... Someone that you dont have to play the ball to their feet to get some results.

21. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about.....Tony Meola?

Coming off injury, not with any team, can sign at once, adds depth to a key position especially if Reis gets the National call-ups this month.

22. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His play has been MUCH BETTER this season, however, i think he is way to much to pay for a backup.

23. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm fairly certain he played the left side in a 3 back alignment with Parkhurst playing the center.

24. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The likely move on Tony Meola is Jonny Walker to Columbus, Tony Meola to Metros. I'm not sure if anything has to go to KC or not. Presumably, some kind of picks will go from Columbus to elsewhere.

25. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Bite your tongue. :)