Revs release Cassio

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by goyette82, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not when those beers are $10 each (22 oz Otter Creek baby!). :cool:

2. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    I like this move

Proves no one is safe even on the best team in the league

3. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I hate to bring this up since it seems like we spent all winter talking about this, but couldn't we, in theory, sign any out-of-contract European/South American while they're off for the summer?

Hmm... What to shop for?

On the other hand, maybe CDC would like a couple of SI slots in exchange for their first draft pick. ;)

4. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
  5. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe everyone has too-high expectations of what an SI should do. We expect to get a discount Ronhaldino when maybe what we really need is simply someone who's useful, like a reserve forward.

6. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that's an interesting idea.

7. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Not enough for us maybe, but that combined with the Reserve matches and practice time was obviously enough for Nicol. I too wish him well.

For those who doubted his willingness/intestinal fortitude in coming back from his turf toe injury look at what Eddie Johnson is going through now.

We are in a great position now to not have to keep marginal players like Nicol thinks Cassio is. While we are about to lose three players to the USMNT, we do have adequate coverage on the left with Leonard, Smith and then Franchino if push comes to shove. The person we really have very little coverage for right now (besides Twellman) is Riley.

Here's to hoping we have someone lined up to sign. However, I wonder if the Cancela interest from the Rapids was really us shopping Cassio to see if people would trade him. When that fell through, we waived him.

8. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    "The moves come just three days before the July 1st deadline when all MLS contracts become guaranteed. New England now has just two Senior International players on their roster (Jose Cancela and Shalrie Joseph), and is believed to be in the market to improve their league-leading squad. "

Isn't Shalrie on a green card? I thought John was the other SI.

9. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There is a slight error in Mikes story. He says our two SI's are Pepe and Joseph. Joseph has a Green Card. Our 2nd SI is Avery John.

I guess we all knew that Brillinat was on the bubble and was being kept only till something better was available.

It's clear that Cassio just wasn't good enough for MLS. This is an often told story---players from technicaql leagues that just can't adjust to the intensity of MLS. Sure like the way SN let it play out. He gave him a series of chances and he didn't produce---so he cut him. Good for you Stevie.

Now we have Cap, two roster slots (both SI's), an Allocation, a discovery pick and the ytransfer window opening. :D LOVE IT

I'm betting we hold onto at least one of the SI slots for Andy Dorman who will become an SI next season. I doubt we will hold the second one for Smith but then thats a decision that SN and Mariner will make.

My bet the Revs have a discovery lined up as well as a "significant" SI.
    STANDING BYE FOR NEW ARRIVAL(s) :p

For those feeling a little worried about how thin our roster will be with Cup callups and until we get replacents I think SN has seen enough of a few of our deeper bench players to have confidence in them to step up should the need arise. Lathan, Vercallone, Larentowicz have shown they are ready for first team ball.

When is the TRANSFER WINDOW open ?

10. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA

um, I believe it is August 1st (as I can recall from my addiction to career mode in FIFA 2005)....not 100% though

11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can say Cassio wasn't good enough to play in this league, and you saw him play a total of 124 minutes.

How much time have you seen Latham, Vercallone or Larentowicz play ... and you know they are ready to play in this league?

:confused:

12. dmonahan

dmonahan Member

Aug 2, 2003
    Newburyport, MA, USA
    What is "turf toe"? I've never heard the term except from MLS announcers.

13. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That why we have a COACH. He see's him in practice and in Reserve matches and maybe more importantly, he gets to evaluate his ATTITUDE up close and personel. If SN is satisfied that Cassio didn't live up to his expectations and isn't what he wants---who are we to question? No, I give no-one blind faith but SN has shown good judgement in building this team and I suggest that we will be pleased with his next move---what ever that is. Of course if we had Greg The Drooler as coach I would be more inclined tp agree with you but at this point SN has my full confidence,

14. Aquarius21

Aquarius21 New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/toeproblems/a/toeproblems_5.htm :

"Turf toe is a condition of pain at the base of the big toe, located at the ball of the foot. The condition is usually caused from either jamming the toe, or pushing off repeatedly when running or jumping. The most common complaint is pain at the base of the toe, but you may also have symptoms of stiffness and swelling."

AND

"When a player sustains a turf toe injury they are actually tearing the capsule that surrounds the joint at the base of the toe. Tearing this joint capsule can be extremely painful. Furthermore, tear of the joint capsule can lead to instability and even dislocation of the joint at the base of the toe. This may lead to accelerated cartilage wear and arthritis of the big toe."

Just sounds so painful :(

15. Kfrank

Kfrank New Member

May 9, 2005
    I only saw him play 45 minutes (Saturday) and I knew he couldn't make it. No, I'm not a soccer talent savant. He was simply too slow. No matter how great his other abilities, he was not able to keep up with play on either side of the ball.

16. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    O.k., time out here... this is beginning to feel like a bad game of telephone.

I've done some checking around re: this "rumor" of Cancela to Rapids... which really stems from a comment made by a poster by the handle of "rhiggz" who said, "I saw in Soccer America, I think that's where I saw it, that Clavijo is interested in bring in more technical players, with Cancela being specifically mentioned. Do any of you know if this is just a rumor or if there's more to it?"

There's nothing to this people... I've asked around, and I've looked around... and there's nothing to this.

The Magpie

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point was basically that we have people (Ok, one person) saying that he could see that Cassio couldn't play in this league after just a limited amount of time, but is confident of three guys that have rarely stepped on the pitch for a league game. I just found that a bit confusing.

That's all.

I could be wrong :)eek: :eek: ) and all three of those guys could be All-Stars next year. I just know that I haven't really seen anything out of the three so far in their little bit of time that makes me believe they can play at this level. Kinda like Cassio.

18. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Its all a matter of expectations.

If you have an SI whose making a relatively (for MLS) high salary, you expect them to start and to be a signifcant performer.

All teams need players at the bottom of the roster, fresh out of college, willing to play for $ 30 K per year. They are not SI's and are not eating up big cap space. Maybe they will pan out or maybe they will be replaced next year by the next crop of "Mr Irrelevants" but comparing this group to an SI is apples to oranges.

19. Dan B

Dan B New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Marlborough, MA, USA
    On top of that, credit is being given to the manager to know good players when he see's them. Well ... I don't think that Cassio was pawned off on him. I think the manager was part of the selection process.

In any case, I would have liked to see Cassio on the field more, but I understand the situation. Cassio took up an SI slot, most likely a bit of the salary cap, and was not performing up to the level that they needed. It should be noted, that when healthy, Ralston & Riley or Leonard were chosen over Cassio.

I give credit to the team for eating a little crow (by cutting their one off season acquisition), and cutting their losses when they can still do so.

I think this is a positive move, and can only be good for the team in the long run.

In the short run, Greg Lalas, Nicol, Marriner, & Vanole will need to suit up for the reserve game after the Chicago match :eek: . Even then, we will most likely play shorthanded as there are just not enough bodies to field a reserve team.

20. bonuela

bonuela New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    quincy ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    What about the newly available Ryan Suarez? Would he be of any use to us?

21. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    But I heard that Cancela's coach used to play with Clavijo when Fernando was coming up through Uruguay's youth system.

;-)

22. RalRhino

RalRhino New Member

Jan 28, 2001
    North Carolina
    Just in from Sky Sports...

"Figo's agent has noted that his client has received multiple offers from The Premiership, with Newcastle known to be one of those interested. However, his agent confirmed that a surpise offer from an undisclosed American MLS team has just been received. The offer will reportedly match Figo's £90,000 per week salary ($163,500 US). Stuttgart, Panathinaikos, Marseille and Lyon are also thought to be keen on Figo."

FIGO! FIGO! FIGO!

23. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    HELL NO, no offense but your lucky i didnt give you negative rep for that

24. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Few more degrees of separation and you'll put Kevin Bacon out of business.

The Magpie

25. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Um... I couldn't think of a player I'd probably want less: head-case, injury-prone... he'd make Rusty Pierce seem well-adjusted.