Revs release Cassio

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by goyette82, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goyette82

goyette82 Member

Jan 16, 2000
    Lowell, Ma
  2. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    The contract guarantee date is July 1st......so they are making cap room to bring on someone else.

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two SI spots now available for the Revs...

Interesting.

4. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    And cap space or just plain roster spots. We are reasonably certain that Dallas will be dropping someone to bring on a new central midfielder that's been training with the club. Most people think it will be Steve Jolley, do you guys need a reliable 3rd central defender?

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES! Except arguably, we need a second central defender. I'm wondering if Parkhurst has hit that rookie wall after his performance in a few games, and maybe giving him a game or two off wouldn't be a bad thing.

Of course ... with the Revs, they're just as liable to leave the spots open and save the $$. :eek:

6. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    There's no reason why Jolley can't start. He did for Dallas most of last year and was pretty solid. You can have him for some draft picks.....its a hell of a deal.

7. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I think Steve has something up his sleeve, but we have heard no rumors of any other players.

Interesting development.

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more I think about it... one reason I don't like this move is you're hurting your depth even more now unless you bring someone in ASAP.

Losing Noonan, Dempsey, Ralston and John already for the next few games, you've now cut yet another midfielder that you could have used at this point.

Is the money that would be due to him after July 1st that important? :(

9. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    The ONLY reason you do this is if you KNOW for sure that you have someone else coming in and need the cap space to make the move. I wouldn't judge these cuts until you know who the new players are.

10. ftruscot

ftruscot Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    Except that he plays a position in the midfield that is well covered, and he doesn't cover any other position, does he? At left midfield we have Leonard and Smith already (and Franchino and Ralston).

We could use some cover in the center and right of midfield now, but I think we are ok without another left mid option until the Nats get back.

I would liked to have seen more from Cassio, but if he couldn't clearly beat out Leonard, Smith, or a wrong-footed Ralston to claim that left midfield, then he isn't worth the money or SI slot.

11. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is he has someone ready to bring in. If they cleared two SI spots and dropped him now to save money, might be a safe bet the guy they have lined up might command top dollar...hmmmmm I wonder....
    as for jolly, hell, I'd sign him and play him too, can he play on the right or left side D?

12. HiBall

HiBall New Member

Jul 25, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY
    Does this bring up any questins about he mystery guys in the reserves game? Or is it more likely someone who we know absolutely nothing about?

I'm assuming the latter.

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing Cassio released is no big surprise. He came in with such promise and really did nothing for the team even when he was available.

I wish him good luck in whatever the soccer gods will for him in the future.

14. HiBall

HiBall New Member

Jul 25, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY
    are any big name americans looking to come back stateside? i know that doesn't answer the SI question. but it might just be a money issue.

15. HiBall

HiBall New Member

Jul 25, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY
    heh heh.

maybe its conor casey, and we'll end up with three strikers of noonan, twellman, and casey. we can keep our midfield intact and just yank joey off the field. we'll just play a 1-1-5-3. i see no reason why that shouldn't work.

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played two games ... for a combined 90 minutes. Is that enough to be able to tell if he can play? :confused:

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that happens, they'll change the Revs name to US Mens National Team.
    ;)

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not saying its fair to Cassio, but you could see it coming. Coach Nicols made a big deal about getting him and he really never had a chance to show off (let alone even play).
    Best of luck to him though.

19. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can Riley play the left too ?

20. ftruscot

ftruscot Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    Good question. I believe I read that he played over on the left in college a bit, but as far as I remember he's only played on the right for the Revs (with Ralston moving to the left). Anybody remember differently?

21. My suspicions exactly. I'm wondering whether Lalas' "Super Club" statements for the Metros(spending top dollar) are spilling into the other teams. Perhaps the others have agreed to follow Lalas' plan also?

Are we about to get a highly-marketable player?
    Interesting.

22. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Man, we haven't gotten much out of our SI picks over the last few years, have we? Steve Howey, Richie Baker, Cassio, Jorge Vazquez, Darrio Fabbro, Felix Brillant... if there's ever a motivation for Khano Smith to step up and elevate his game.

23. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    From a post-draft profile,
    "Primarily a right back in his pre-college days, Riley switched to the left side early in his Wake Forest career, when the team needed to fill that spot."

So I guess he could give it a try, although this quote is refering to left and right back, not midfield. Certainly an option in a pinch.

24. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have we met the must spend limit yet (including the guys who will presumably still be on our roster on July 1st)?

If not, I'm sure Nicol and Mariner need a new drinking buddy to help them warm the bench.

25. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    They can sign Monty: he's cheap :D