Revs Rapids [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by JMMUSA8, Aug 28, 2002.

1. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can anyone give an update, i know its 1-0 in the 28th minute with Twellman scoring, with Franchino assisting on it. How was the goal scored?

2. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At minute 39 it's 3-0 to New England. Damn! Sounds like severe lapses by the defense. I'm listening on radio unica.

3. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    where is radio unica?, i took some spanish, i could have an idea of whats goin on.

4. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First goal was scored by Twellman, who got a pass from Franchino, and cut to the top of the arc. He fired, and Titus deflected it past Kramer for the 1-0 lead.

Hernandez scored on a beautiful free kick from 25 yards out. Kramer got a hand on it, but couldn't keep it out.

Seconds later, Twellman made it 3-0 in bizarre fashion. Ralston curled a cross into the area looking for Twellman. Titus missed it, and it deflected off of Twellman's thigh into the back of the net. Kramer looked REALLY bad on this one.

5. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Welcome back, Rusty! He's looked great so far.
    Harris has won his spot back, but Griffith looked bad.

6. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Yaaaaah!

I can't believe I missed this game to put the finishing touches on the fall youth soccer rosters.

1st goal - essentially a solo effort by Twellman running left to right across the top of the area. He is pursued by Fraser, and fires the ball agianst the grain - it skips a litle off Fraser's foot. Somehow, Kramer reacts late, and the ball goes in the left lower corner.

2nd goal - Free kick from about 25 yards, Franchino and Hernandez over the ball. Hernandez hits a sweet curving ball just over the wall, diping down into the left lower corner again.

3rd goal - ball played over the top, TnT runs onto it, plays it with his chest, and somehow Kramer falls backward and completely misses it. Not Kramer's finest hour.

Yellow cards to Titus and Stewart for violent play.

7. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the updates guys. Its tough watching every game and then forced to miss one because i want to play college soccer. I even checked the radio, but its bein delayed til 12, and i got practice tomorrow morning.

8. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs win #2 out of 5, another step closer to making the playoffs. Plus thats 7 wins for Nicol, which is the same amount of last year for Clavijo. Twellman got 17, glad to see him out of the drought, I guess Hernandez got another free kick crack. Is he now our A-mid?

9. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Twellman helped off the field in the 88th minute after a foul by Richie Kottshcushwe (sp?).
    Rapids deserved a few more yellow cards than the dozen they got.

10. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    The first half was one of the best Revs performances I've seen. Controlled play on both ends, finished their chances. The first goal I don't think the deflection made a real difference, awesome free kick by Hernandez, the third goal showed why Kramer belongs in the A-League, but great positioning by TnT.

Second half saw Colorado take the offense a bit, to be expected with a 3-0 lead, the Revs naturally sat back a bit, but still got off some counterattacks.

Impressive. If the Revs can keep it up, who knows what may happen.

11. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    most important, how did Wolde play?

12. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    seeing Twellman hobbling off and then carried to the locker room at the end is not good at all... I know that it only seems like an ankle, but that can certainly keep one out for several critical weeks... I hope he is OK...

rand

13. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Well enough to stay in the starting lineup.

BTW- You playing for Framingham St.?

14. scrub

scrub Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Great evening except for TT looking like he was in severe pain.

The crowd thought Griffiths was doing okay. Nicol got loudly boo'd by the whole place when he was subbed out. If Griffith could cross well reliably he would be dynamite.

15. melmax

melmax New Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Somerville, MA
    Taylor, please be okay!

First half was some good soccer. Second half fell apart. Hernandez was better but still don't like his lackadasical style.

I really hope that TNT is okay. The saving grace of this season for me and many others in Revs land would be for Taylor to win the scoring championship. Will await the morning papers anxiously for further news.

16. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    I've got nothing but good to say about the Revs performance tonight, especially the welcome return of Mr. Rusty Pierce.

But I'm just so pissed that the much-predicted injury of Taylor Twellman finally occured, that I can hardly speak.

This could have/should have been prevented. Cheap shots, late, low, and with bad intent -every friggin' game. Finally he goes down. Now the Revs loose, the Rev's fans loose, the league fans (who got to see, week in and week out an exciting American young player), and the League looses. What the ****************** does it take for this league to show a clue?!?!

Hopefully he'll be back soon, but I'm just to disgusted for words. In the mean time, Carlos Ruiz, beware...this can be a hack-league when no one does anything to prevent it.

Otherwise, great win for the lads, and one fine feather in the cap of Mr. Steve Nicol.

17. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    It's great to see the boys kick butt, but...

there was a lot that was left to be desired.

The entire left side defended badly. Every good Colorado chance came with runs down the left flank, followed by crosses into the middle. Franchino is not a quality wing back, because he cannot mark tightly enough. Eventually, he has to make it as a D-mid or sit. He is better at both positions than Kamler who need not return for 2003. Heaps defends somewhat better than Franchino, but needs to be considerably better for the Revs to be champions. Griffiths was subbed because he was atrocious - I don't think he made one pass that was not intercepted.

To address JMMUSA8's important question, Wolde, (whom I like much more now that ever previously because of his improved work rate), didn't run off the ball or pass well. He seems to do much better, as Moacir says, in crowded, beach soccer situations. I think he'll continue to start. He's just not a 2003 starting forward.

Cullen had an off day, to put it mildly.

On the brighter side, Kante continues to improve. He needs to pass better, and to anticipate crosses better, but overall, I'm very happy he's a Rev. Hernandez played a fine game, and his free kick was the bomb. Ralston and Twellman were their old selves and were toying with the Rapids in the first half, before the Rapids made it clear that they were not above causing a season-ending injury. Brown was solid enough.

I'm sure that many will disagree, but I thought that for much of the game, Pierce was the best player on the field.

Don't you get the feelng that for SN, every game is like Russian roulette, with every win being an empty chamber?

18. Bill Duggan

Bill Duggan New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    MA
    I think it may be time to bring in Rooney, Cullen is horrible. Griffiths is not good, but Kamler sucks.
    According to someone who was right behind the revs bench, TnT's injury may have been an ACL tear. On TV however, it looked more like an ankle injury. I have looked for a report, but have come up empty so far.
    BTW, Adin Brown has been pretty good as of late.

19. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Re: It's great to see the boys kick butt, but...

If he wins one more, he may well keep his job. I give him and Revs a lot of credit. It looked like they were all done for the year, but they pulled together for 2 W's.

Nice to see this team finally showing some grit.

20. sideshowmatt

sideshowmatt New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    The way twellman walked off wasn't very encouraging to say the least. I tore my ACL playing soccer about two years ago and by the way he was limping I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happend to him.

Other than that, great performance by the Revs. Except for the first ten minutes of the second half and a couple smaller intervals later on, they looked dominant. Good job by SN.

21. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    While it looked pretty bad when it happened, the injury to TnT's right leg might only be a bruise or sprain. That's the word from the team at least.

TnT will be in for imaging tomorrow.

Keep your digits and appendages crossed.

Big props to Stevie Nicol and The Boyz.

22. Bill Duggan

Bill Duggan New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    MA
    Does anyone have an update on Twellman or Llamosa?

23. twell_girl

twell_girl New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    cali
    i don't like it that taylor got hurt...but the win was just hope-inspiring. as far as the last two games were played and won, the revs are likely to make the playoffs.

...ciao!
    ...the surfdiva

24. soren_k

soren_k New Member

Oct 28, 2001
    Re: It's great to see the boys kick butt, but...

Couldn't disagree more with your criticisms, with the exception of Winston Griffiths, who looks more like Evans Wise with every game. Honestly, that was about as good a match as the Revolution have ever played. No it wasn't flawless, Serie-A quality stuff, but if they can play like that consistently they will win a lot of matches

The defensive effort as a whole, including the left side, was outstanding. The Rapids had virtually no chances on goal during the first half, after which the game had already been decided. Yes they had a few runs down the left, but the same can be said, more or less, of every team in every game in MLS this season.

Leo Cullen and Kamler are not all-stars but they are solid, dependable players and they showed that today. Cullen was very active defensively and managed to keep possesion most of the time, which is all he is asked to do. Kamler was brought in to stabilize the left side and he did that. Both are valuable role players and showed it tonight.

As for Wolde not passing well or running off the ball, if you watched the first half you saw him beating his defender(s) and finding open teamates, making good, intelligent runs to support the defense when they came under pressure, and taking the ball out of the air and holding it up extemely well. He ran all night. He and Taylor had a good understanding. He consistently kept possession. What else do you want?

25. Rev79

Rev79 New Member

Aug 17, 1999
    I'm not sure that I'd agree that Wolde and Taylor were on the same page.

Taylor looked like he could have murdered Wolde in the second half, when Steve lofted in an absolutely perfect pass to Taylor, right in front of the goal that Wolde just jumped in front of and booted wide of the net. The look of Twellman's face was not one of a happy camper to say the least.