Revs offseason 2021/2022

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by rkupp, Nov 17, 2021.

1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Sounds like the team is looking ahead while preparing for the playoffs.

Looks like they are interested in 20 y.o. Flamengo left-back Jose Atallo.

https://www.sproutwired.com/the-fla...tates-team-and-could-leave-the-club-flamengo/

DeJuan Jones is pretty entrenched at LB now (among the best in the league IMO), unless they are thinking of moving him up to wing. Mafla is a solid backup, when healthy, but they probably expected more when they signed him.

Regardless, young depth/competition at that spot can only be a good thing.

edcrocker, A Casual Fan and asctester repped this.
  2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can do that???? I thought you needed to sit back, watch the playoffs, take a vacation and then ... maybe get to work?

3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard to shake that Burns-era mentality, inn'it? :D

A Casual Fan and asctester repped this.
  4. asctester

asctester Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Apr 2, 2018
    Witch City, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been trying to just savor this year, because I am not looking forward to the known departure (Tajon) and potential other departures from the team. I hope (and believe) the team has been working hard on next year's roster. Honestly that process should never stop.

5. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    It's good too because Ryan Spaulding was the R2 LB this past year and, despite some early season struggles, he was one of the best players on the team last year.

I dont know what courting another LB signals, but I am always down for top down roster pressure for minutes

6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    A Casual Fan repped this.
  8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2021 MLS offseason calendar for player moves announced
    By MLSsoccer staff
    Friday, Nov 19, 2021, 11:02 AM

December 12
    9 AM ET - 1 PM ET: Half-Day Trade Window Opens
    1 PM ET: Half-Day Trade Window Closes and Blackout Period Begins

December 14
    2021 MLS Expansion Draft (Charlotte)

December 15
    1 PM ET: End-of-Year Waivers
    1 PM ET: Free Agency Opens

December 17
    1 PM ET: Re-Entry Process, Stage 1

December 23
    10 AM ET: Re-Entry Process – Stage 2 List
    1 PM ET: Re-Entry Process, Stage 2

A Casual Fan repped this.
  9. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Rumor out there that Buksa heading back to Europe is all but announced. Supposedly either AS Monaco or an unnamed PL team. Supposedly, former Chicago Fire player Przemyslaw Frankowski has been involved in encouraging/recruiting.

10. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Luis Caicedo, Knighton and Caldwell are out of contract. Verfurth had his option declined. Both Caldwell and Knighton are eligible for free agency. I can see both retiring, but who knows?

Caicedo, hard to say. I was never a huge fan, and he spent so much time hurt. For me the team should move on. I really think the team needs a ball-winning DMid to go along with or to spell Polster.

If Buksa goes, another forward would be nice. Kizza still on the books, though!

11. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Large concern for me is whether Bruce stays or not -- even if not coach. He seems to have the gravitas that this team has missed for a long time in terms of giving us credibility and attracting talent.

12. sean'o

sean'o Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    What becomes of Boateng? He certainly doesn’t get much attention (or playing time) for a player who sparked the Revs in several matches in the ‘21 season.

13. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if Bruce goes I think he will leave behind a vastly improved management system compared to the Blooter Burns era. I can't imagine this Revo FO is going to shut down for the winter.

14. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But how long would it take to replace him as director and coach and what would that process do to building the roster. There are other people they could find to build on what Bruce started, and maybe those guys are all in house on Bruce's staff and they just promote from within. But that's a lot of maybe when what we need right now is to march straight into what is the most important offseason in team history. Do they build or backslide? The answer will define this franchise for a decade. And I'd much rather see the 2020s be like the 2000s and not the 90s or the 10s. I want to see this team competing for trophies year in and year out for a sustainable period of time. The building blocks are in place, but IMO losing Bruce now would swing a wrecking ball through the structure.

15. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldnt mind if Bruce stepped down from coaching but remained as GM with responsibility of finding, signing players. Give Williams a shot. He's around Arena a long time and has earned a chance. I cant see Arena doing nothing but maybe the coaching is a bit much now? On the other hand.... Im not sure he is willing to cut loose some of our elder players and some need to go. We need to get younger

Crooked and pwykes repped this.
  16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said it from when he was hired that he would run this program for a couple of years and then pass the coaching down to someone else while staying in charge of the operation. I still think he's going to coach this team for one more year though. I know this ending left a terrible taste in our mouths, I just can't see how it doesn't do the same for an ultra competitive guy like Bruce.

Crooked, pwykes, rkupp and 1 other person repped this.
  17. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree, one thousand-teen percent!

18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18 NFLPatriot, Dec 6, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    Revolution announce year-end roster decisions
    By revolutionsoccer.net
    Friday, Dec 3, 2021, 04:00 PM

Twenty-two players under contract for 2022.
    Verfurth the only option declined (compared to 7 players a year ago).
    Caicedo out of contract, Caldwell and Knighton are both eligible free agents this offseason.

19. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Expansion Draft for Charlotte coming in 8 days (next Tuesday). Revs can protect 12 players.

20. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I really, really want Caicedo back. I think he showed in short spots last year that he is a strong 2-way dmid and, to me, looked even better than before his injury. I think if he had come back a month earlier, he might have seriously had a chance to get back in the mix, but ultimately I think Arena didn't want to mess with Polster's confidence.

Polster had a terrific season and did yeoman's work, but I think that position can be seriously upgraded. Caicedo is one strong possibility IMO; another is bringing in someone new.

I would guess the door is open for Caldwell to re-sign, but he'll have to decide how important playing time is to him at this point in his career. He's a useful guy on the bench for the Revs for low money, with a good attitude and local ties, but who knows if he's happy with spot minutes here or there.

I think Knighton's in the same boat, though the Revs have to be grooming potential #1s on their roster and I don't think Knighton is the right age for that role.

I think Boateng will be back. I think Traustason will be too, though he may be exposed in the expansion draft (unless the Revs find themselves pressed for foreign spots). It was a rocky road for the Icelander, but I think he's got the ability and can be a much more effective and useful player now that he's had a year to adjust to MLS (and his experience could be useful with our playing international games next year).

edcrocker and Crooked repped this.
  22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with this. On top of that, we do actually need real depth for a change next season, playing in potentially three different tournaments (CCL, USOC and MLS).

Feldspar repped this.
  23. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanted Boateng back in about the 65th minute!

pwykes repped this.
  24. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless he has a real hankering to play in the USL, I would expect Caldwell to retire. As for Knighton, it might have more to do with money. I can see him sticking around if the price is right.

25. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they're grooming future #1 keepers, they're better off having them play at Revs II and keeping Knighton as the first-team backup.

Feldspar repped this.