Revs News 8/26/2007

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by BrianLBI, Aug 26, 2007.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As was noted elsewhere, DC has two games in hand and will play them before they face us. On Saturday night, they are in Dallas. The following week, on Thursday, they're at Chivas. Then they play us. We'll know a lot more about where we stand in regards to the Shield after next weekend.

2. Mick7184

Mick7184 New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Franklin, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The supporters shield really means nothing to me. It's nice to have, but you can get everything it brings you(Champions Cup, SuperLiga spot) by winning the MLS Cup, that's all I care about.

3. KATref

KATref Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Stow, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want it, it means your team was the best that season not that you got lucky and won 2 games to get into the MLS cup game.

4. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take it for the reasons KATref mentioned, you're the best regular season team. Like the President's Trophy in the NHL. It doesn't get the same attention as the eventual winners' trophy (be it the Stanley or MLS Cups) but fans of the game know what it means.

5. Mick7184

Mick7184 New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Franklin, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno, I'm one of those people that thinks having the best record in the league means nothing if you get bounced out in the first round, in any sport. Soccer is different in that the rest of the world dosent run a league playoffs in most cases, but we do here, so to me the MLS Cup is the be-all end-all.

6. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can understand that point of view, you always want to be the final winner. Just think of it as something (anything) to put in the trophy case. Behind, and possibly used as a stand for, a Lombardi Trophy :D (sorry, sudden bout of cynical hit me).

7. revs

revs Member

Apr 22, 2003
    MA
    Well if its the MLS Cup you want, having hte supporters shield truly would make a difference, as you are guaranteed home field advantage! Thus making the road to the championship that much easier. Plus, you can rub it in the faces of all the shitcago, dc, la fans out there! :cool:

8. Mick7184

Mick7184 New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Franklin, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying that it's like bad to win the Supporters Shield, or anything like that, if the Revs win it wonderful. It just wont mean anything to me if they dont win it and then win the Cup, or if they win it and dont win the Cup. I'd much rather have a star on our jersey than a Supporters Shield in our Silverware case, which I believe is located in Bob Kraft's attic.

9. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    Or, god forbid, the Revs finish fifth in the East. :eek:

10. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    If Saudi Arabia was good enough for Carl Fletcher, then it's good enough.

:D