News: Revs News: 6/25/08

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by wolfp10, Jun 25, 2008.

1. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
  2. mctavish

mctavish New Member

Feb 5, 2008
  3. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
  4. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also contains a howler from Tornberg, something about fans coming up from New Jersey, and something about the match bringing "international television" exposure to NB. All is dissected in the next Soccer Rocker installment, coming tomorrow or the next day at the latest.

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Actually the howler for me was the 'we don't want to oversaturate the Gillette fans' as the reason for holding the game in New Britain.

7. DREWWW

DREWWW Member

Jan 24, 2006
    H2Otown, Masachewsez
    An international match in NB? Aren't the changing rooms mobile homes? Is that field up to FIFA standards?

8. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA played Scotland there years and years ago

9. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    I think the changing rooms are next door in the minor league baseball stadium.

10. rachel83

rachel83 Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Russia
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that makes me pretty happy :)

11. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    At least one of the loccer rooms is under the stands... looked pretty basic (I suspect that both were of similar high quality;)

12. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pretty sure they are both under the stands in the same building as the bathrooms

13. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Yeah, I think you are right.

14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think that is a very legitimate concern. Having *more* fixtures at Gillette is a concern when attendance is already under-par. Supply and demand.

15. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not subpar because they play too many games. It's subpar because they can't sell heating oil to Eskimos.

Here's my take, the new blog

16. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that was exactly his point. It's important to recognize that fans have limited funds. Holding too many games at Gillette just puts a bigger strain on those funds and starts making fans chose which games they are going to attend, possibly hurting overall attendance even more (at least for the numbers junkies). If you have the opportunity to expand your realm of influence and target some other group of fans that may not make the trip to Gillette, you should definitely try to do that.

17. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I can see the argument, the games have to be played. Why does it matter where the fans are going? You're still making them choose which games to go and playing in New Britain makes your Massachusetts and NH fans drive FARTHER. Simply changing the venue doesn't really matter.

Sure, you're bringing the Revs to new fans but the reason you're going is because it's too expensive to open Gillette. I've heard Tornberg say the USOC is a money loser before. That's reason #1. Saying its oversaturation or something like that is spin. IMHO.

18. sandman012

sandman012 Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Providence
    and US vs Guatamala (or another C. American team) ~'88 .... Bruce Murray played. :)

19. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, fine. So it's cheaper to play in New Britain. Like you said, Tornberg has already admitted it so it's no secret there. What's wrong with highlighting some of the other benefits to playing outside of Gillette?

Also, I don't really think they're expecting the fans from New Hampshire, Maine and NE Mass to make the trip. They're probably hoping the folks from Conn and maybe W Mass might come out for a match. You can't please all of the people, all of the time. Nor should you try.

20. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My problem is this: You should play your home games at home. Your home. Not Bermuda, not New Britain, not Ludlow, not St. Albans, VT...at Gillette. My real problem (as laid out in my blog) is that the league and team have failed to put any effort into promoting the tournament which forces the team to play in a less-than-professional stadium. We're supposed to be the first rank team in this whole thing.

I'm ok with playing outside of Gillette in the preseason. That's what the preseason is for.

I'm more concerned with their inability to entice those Conn and W Mass people to come to Foxboro than anything else.

21. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mind the USOC being played in New Britain. I won't be happy if they play a Superliga or CL game there.

But hey, I only go to every game ... why cater to those of us that are like that?

22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
  23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've gotta say, I really do like the over-saturation bit. That's good stuff.

8 home games in a 12 week stretch in the summer. And yet, they've had no problem having fans come out for a tripleheader. So 3 in one day (or 5 in four days during the Gold Cup) isn't oversaturation, but 8 in 12 weeks is?

24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    The Gold Cup involves totally different teams, so it has little to do with the Revs attendance.

We have more 'Rev' games than ever this season, with the extra competitions. I can easily understand that they may be concerned that attendance may get watered down because of it.

Moving the game to an area that may draw some different fans makes some sense in this case (after all, the attendance at USOC games in Ludlow has gotten a big boost [> %50 IMO] from local fans that probably rarely, if ever, would travel to Foxboro). That, combined with the fact that NB is probably picking up a lot of the game day expenses, is most likely why they are playing there.

FWIW, the Celtics have had *regional* games in the past. In recent years, it's only been pre-season games, but they used to have a few regular season games each year in Worcester, Hartford and a couple of other places (Springfield?, Manchester?, Portland?). It's a good way to promote the idea of it being "New England's" team and to draw new fans, even if they only end up being tv viewers.

25. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m just waiting for the day that the Revs announce that their schedule will be flexible. They’ll announce on Friday where in New England they’ll play Saturday (gotta spread the knowledge of the team ya know), and the only time they’ll play at Gillette is when Brazil comes to town.

And sadly, some people here will probably be OK with that.

Who cares about the diehard fans anyway?