Rev's News 2.7.11 - More front page news than the Super Bowl Champs

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by MrSangster, Feb 7, 2011.

1. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer phenom opts to learn from the pros

by FDA in The Boston Globe

Front page of today's Boston Globe

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...om_opts_to_learn_from_the_pros/?p1=News_links

“The world is littered with kids who have been child prodigies,’’ said Bryan Scales, the Revolution Academy director who coached Adu in the US national team development program. “And then, all of a sudden, at some point they fizzle out. . . . I think Diego is different. He’s a playmaker, he’s got that passion, he’s got an imagination, the creativity, and soccer brain playmaking players need to have.’’

2. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the link...great article by FDA!

3. Joeyfitzclick

Joeyfitzclick Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Newport RI
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Let's sell him to Chelsea for $50m

4. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    via Google translate:

"According to our information, it will engage with the club from Major League Soccer New England Revolution . In the waiting for a visa, he should pass his medical examination in the coming hours. He will join Didier Domi (ex-PSG), who committed a few weeks ago with the American club."

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, as many have been speculating, we now presumably know the first of the three signings.

7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was second (after Domi)? Maybe I'm wrong.

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're now saying there's three signings coming (after the Domi one was already done).

9. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MOST E-MAILED

1. Soccer phenom opts to learn from the pros
    2. Beyond Miami, a beach escape worlds apart
    3. Rise of the charter schools
    4. Facebook: It's not me, it's you
    5. Stand alone

Pretty good for Boston.com!

All the best to Diego..!!

10. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of the user comments are outrageously ignorant. Never mind the insinuated racism that popped up on a few comments but everyone is harping on the fact that he shouldn't give up his education even though it says in plain english in the article that the Revs are dedicated to him completing his education.

Boston.com makes all of you people seem sane.

I hate the internet.

11. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean, "you people" huh? Whaddya tryna say, bub? ;)

Great work by FDA, sadly lost on the "dude guy" (tip o' the hat to joegrav and GOREVS3000) hordes.

12. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every time I read comments on Boston.com,I get a little dumber.

13. ftruscot

ftruscot Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    I wonder why Frank still thinks the league minimum is $17000? Has he not paid any attention to the new CBA?

14. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that..the ignorance is amazing. All he stated matter of fact-ly was that he did not and never intended to go to college!! That doesn't mean he won't get his high school diploma.

I'm not sure what % of the comments came from Boston.Com "sports" readers or what..but, they're take on signing a pro contract is so IGNORANT!!

I hope Diego keeps his head on straight, remains humble and just learns and uses the talents that he's been given to excel.

Will be a GREAT day for Revs Soccer when he takes the field in a Revs jersey for the senior team!!

15. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair to Boston.com, I find the comments on most news websites to be just as endumbening. And yes, that word is definitely a result of my endumbening.

16. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. they make me endumbener by the minute.

17. gmboy95

gmboy95 Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norton, Ma.
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    everyone on those comments section love to pass judgement on everyone....a 15 year old kid taking in 42,000 and still getting his diploma, while learning from professionals. call me stupid, but guys who do 4 years of college come into the league making about the same in MLS....this kid gets a 7 year head start!!!

18. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unemployment in the under 30 gang, even a lot with college degrees is almost 30% these days and with Fed policy that number is not likely to improve any time soon. A kid who can make a reasonable living playing soccer (not even the high end pay of big stars) is in far better economic position than a kid heading to college.

19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't really agree. There's no sure thing for any prospect and, as good as he may look at this point, the odds are probably still less than 50/50 that he'll have a significant pro career. And, whether he makes it or not, what does he do at age 35? If he makes a full career in MLS, that's not likely to provide enough income to sustain him after that career is over.

Not saying he shouldn't pursue this opportunity, but no one should under-estimate the value of college degree (in terms of a career and also personal development).

20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said but then again newspapers like the Globe that still employ archaic fossils like Shaughnessy lost relevance to me sometime around 1998.

21. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Even if he makes the bare minimum for an MLS player, he will have his tuition paid for any major school should he choose. He could probably even get on a scholarship and hold off that money to buy a house or something.

I made $7/hr getting 15 hours a week when I was 16, this kid's going to be making close to what lower-level college grads are making right now.

Who's to say he can't do night classes or something if he chooses? He's already doing it for high school.

22. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he spends 5 years in the professional soccer system here in the US and builds up connections he will have no problem finding a job as a coach/scout/etc. If he wants to make his life soccer he really doesn't need a degree.

23. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Scholarship, not for soccer. His eligibility is already history.

And, how will he have his tuition paid for? On MLS wages?
    Like I said earlier, I'm not saying he shouldn't do it (but, getting a bachelor's at night while playing professional soccer will be extremely difficult - and that's would be assuming someone is a highly motivated student, which does not sound like the case here).
    I don't think that's so easy. It is extremely hard to make a career out of soccer in this country. It's low-paying, with a ton of competition (both foreign and domestic).

24. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, considering the league minimum is 40,000 a year, 40,000 x 5 is a decent chunk of change (even after taxes).

So if Diego lives at home for the next few years and spends wisely, he'll have more than half his college paid for.

25. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect the young man doesn't plan to make MLS his career.