Rev's News 2.1.11

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by MrSangster, Feb 1, 2011.

1. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joseph skips first workout by Frank Dell'Apa in The Boston Globe

http://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/articles/2011/02/01/joseph_skips_first_workout/

Asked about Joseph’s status, Nicol replied: “I don’t know. Hopefully there’s nothing wrong.’’

I wonder if SJ is holding out for more $$$....

The Revolution have a 27-player roster and hope to sign three additional foreign players.

“We’ll have two more and we’re working on a third, so we’re pretty confident we will have three more international players by the end of February,’’ Burns said

Domi in camp and looking for 2 more to show up plus a third. Unfortunately, they won't be here at the START of the pre-season training camp.

Previously, the way the league is, you get in the playoffs you don’t get any money. So, we’ve had to try to get by most of the time. We’ve got some money to try to go out and get some quality.’’

They've had the time and now the money to shop around. Hope they deliver.

2. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    “Most players playing in Premier League are 32-34,’’ Nicol said of Domi.

Huh?

I hope that isn't a foretaste of our signings.

3. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and so begins the new year of a dysfunctional team with a poor FO and even greater buffoon as an owner..!!!

4. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
  5. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well aren't you little Mr Sunshine all filled with hope and positive thought :p

6. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yes we can!

7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Boston Globe: “We’ll have two more and we’re working on a third, so we’re pretty confident we will have three more international players by the end of February,’’ Burns said.

That sounds like very good news and what almost everyone was hoping for.

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it is. Hopefully they're names we've heard at some point having followed the game, or at least have played in a league that we're cognizant of.

I really wish they'd at least say positions ... but I suppose we'll find out (hopefully) soon enough.

9. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    WORDS!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna call my ticket rep right now!

10. kazakal28

kazakal28 Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Weymouth
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was gonna go to camp, but then I got high
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeYsTmIzjkw"]YouTube - Afroman - Because I Got High[/ame]

too soon?

11. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably best to leave that alone. We covered this last year.

12. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    does this mean signed by the end of Feb then have to wait 2-4 weeks for paperwork to get a work permit then 2 weeks of training only to have them pull something becaused they pushed to hard so then they will be healthy and ready to play in April/May? sounds good to me!

13. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have valid points, although you'll get knocked for it. At least, I would get knocked for saying that. Regardless, making optimistic assumptions that they won't be beyond their "use by" date, I'd finally feel comfortable about taking on season tickets if these signings could just be fully confirmed.

[Edit] Sorry to be so picky, rkupp and doc, but I'd also like them to not be three more defensive players.

14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the comments they've made, my hope is that they're only working for the paperwork now. Remember, they've said they won't announce a signing till 2 of 3 things have happened, and the paperwork is one of them.

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Negativity? Where? :confused:

16. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    abound!

17. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

I wonder what he thinks of all this snow...

18. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, the silence that they invoke around the signing drives me nuts, that said their process of finding and negotiating deals with players SUCKS!! To not be able to bring in guys before camp is a joke. To say by the end of the first month of camp is even a bigger joke. Ya ya they signed Domi this year and Niouky last year before camp. The issue is that they have sucked for the past 3 years and it took them until 4 months ago to say, yes we suck and we know it and will address it. If they were really serious they would have had these 2 or 3 other guys in camp yesterday. Its my local team, a team that I have followed for over 15 years now but damned if they don't give folks enough reasons to go follow another team

19. neophilus

neophilus Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Methuen, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So by the end of February we should expect to see a healthy SJ leading a team that includes an additional 2 starter-quality international signings?

I really hope I don't wake up on March 1 and find this not to be true.

20. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    according to them there could be 3 additional signings not including Domi

21. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the plan, and I'm excited to see (1) if it all comes through and (2) if the 2-3 new players can adapt to MLS and if the re-made Revs can come together as a team.

If we get three more signings of quality players, and if people stay healthy, then we'll have at least five starters who weren't in the first 11 at the end of last year. In fact, of the 11 who took the field opening day 2010 in LA, we'd have only two returning starters (Alston and Nyassi), with five 2010 starters (Sinovic, Tierney, Phelan, Dube, Schilwaski) having gone to the bench and 4 (Burpo, Osei, Niouky, Gibbs) having left the team.

That would be huge change, especially for a team has has allegedly done nothing in the off-season.

I expect we will have a minimum of six or seven changes when we compare the opening day rosters from 2011 and 2010, and I'm really really looking forward to seeing the discussion here change from arguments over whether the FO did anything to arguments over whether the new players are good enough. At least with that argument, we'll have the results of every week's game to shed light on the discussion.

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do understand that the team has done very little this off-season so far in adding players right? Once they sign these players, then yes, your statement is correct.

Cutting the players they did, they shouldn't be getting credit for ... since most of us didn't feel like most of those players shouldn't be here anyway.

23. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what the team has done toward signing players this off season. I know they say they are close to signing 2 or three more, in addition to the one international they've signed and the one MLS guy they've signed to replace Gibbs.

So that would mean they did whatever was necessary to sign 3-5 players that should be starters. They only got two of those five new starters signed before camp opened, but that doesn't worry me. If they have another 2-3 ready by opening day, and if Shalrie is healthy on opening day this year (and Alston, perhaps a bigger if, and Reis and Barnes), then we go into opening day with 8 or 9 new starters (comparing 2010 to 2011).

Again, I acknowledge this is not yet a done deal, but I can't imagine that they announced the impending arrival of players without those deals being very very close to done. I can't remember them ever saying that had someone close to signing and then having it fall through, can you?

And like I said in the previous post, if we go into opening day with a team that has 7 or 8 or 9 starters replaced since opening day 2010, then I don't see the logic in complaining that they didn't do anything in the off season.

If we look like this on opening day, I think the LA fans and the guy who picked Revs next to last in his power ratings last week are going to be saying, Hey, where'd all the Revs go, and who are these guys?

[LINEUP-4-4-2]stolica, new guy, perovic, joseph, new guy, nyassi, domi, cochrane/soares, barnes, alston, reis [/LINEUP-4-4-2]

And we can stop complaining about a lack of action and move on to wondering if the new guys can play together, and whether Stolica is a quality MLS forward, and how Shalrie is meshing with his new partner, and other soccery things.

24. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
    this line features no scoring punch, a soft middfield and a porous defense.

well played.

25. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, you're arguing two differing things. Once they've added these players that you're talking about, then it's OK to say they've done things. Till they've actually signed the players, you're just going on a hypothesis. I'm not sure how you can argue the result of future transactions and hold that against what's currently going on.

Also, you're apparently giving Soares the starting spot already since you say they've already got 2 new starters?