Revs News 1/24

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by BrianLBI, Jan 24, 2008.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Old Friends, New Faces, Jeff Bradley, MLSNet.

One ex player, and one new player on the list for the Revs.

2. dukefan

dukefan New Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Strictly from the Reserve games. Never passed the ball. Dorman got really ticked about it in one of the games

3. Jonny Bishop

Jonny Bishop Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kupp, did you read the quote from Nicol? the one where he said they wanted to restructure the contract? where he admits that they took a "risk" not exercising the option?

OK... did they succeed in restructuring his contract? Did the "risk" pay off?

No, but you still can't find fault with what happened. Even when Nicol says that it didn't work out like they wanted, you insist it worked out just fine.

4. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure that's totally a bad thing. He was probably still learning where his new teammates were usually positioned and where they liked the ball, and I'm sure once he learns to trust them he'll start passing more. But I do think we need a striker who loves to go at the defense and take on people 1-on-1.

5. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Trondheim
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    Just wonderin how good woude you say Parkhurst is ?
    i have seen him in a few games and think he looks very good. but woude be nice to know what you who probebly know his skills a lot better thinks.

Is he good enoff for EPL ?

6. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Parkhurst won MLS Rookie of the Year in his first year in 2005 and MLS Defender of the Year in 2007. Many say he had a good shot at the 2006 Defender of the Year award, but unfortunately he didn't win it.

He is noted for being a "smart" defender. Most defenders focus on winning one-on-one battles or being very physical against the attacker. While Parkhurst is capable of doing this, he very rarely puts himself into that situation. More often than not he beats his opponent to the ball because he read the play perfectly. There is no one I've seen that plays like him. He's not fast, but certainly not slow, just an average speed. His biggest flaw would be his height, many say he's too short for the international game. I don't believe this is true.

Could he play in the EPL? He'd need to bulk up a bit more, and I personally feel it would be detrimental to his development to go to England, but he would be capable in my opinion.

7. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Trondheim
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    Thanks forthe info, i think he seem like a really cool defender i like his style.

But as you said i am among the many who think he woude struggel a bit because of his size. But i really hope he does get a chance in a eiropean league.

8. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    Yep... he'll start passing to Scotland and Norway;)

9. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I didn't say that it worked out fine, I said that they KNEW what the risk was and decided they could live with that.

I think if they had a "do-over", they wouldn't take it. They made a cost/benefit decision that he wasn't likely to be worth what they'd have to pay him - so either they would re-sign him for less or let him go. I'd also venture to bet that he was offered around the league first and didn't find any takers.

I do wonder what motivated them to offer him that much last year, but I think maybe he wouldn't settle for less, so they took the approach that they would take '07 to see if he could return to peak form and pick up the option if he did.
    I think this group is probably split 50/50.

I don't think he'd be a disaster, but I don't think he'd be starting for most teams - I think he's got a size problem and doesn't have exceptional speed that might compensate for it. His greatest skills - intelligence and anticipation are things that other EPL players have also, in addition to size.