Revs-Mutt Series--Pre Match Chatter

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by George Griffin, Oct 14, 2003.

1. George Griffin

George Griffin New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    What a way to end the regular season and maybe the first round of the playoffs----head to head with the swamp rats.
    At least two and maybe four matches with the Mutts, all home and away. The Mutts have shown that they are vulnerable. We may be without a few key players but our Lads have come alive at the right time in the season. Should be fun and tough matches. I like the Revs chances both away and at home. Hopefully Pepe and Noonan are over what ever knocks they took last weekend.

George

2. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mutts will be playing the Open Cup final tomorrow, Injuries and emotions (+ or -) might have an impact on this weekend's match. May it go to PKs!

Brian

3. George Griffin

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    Anyone go to practice this week who can comment on Pepe and Noonan's health after last weeks knocks? When will Joey and carlos be ready to return to action?

4. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And let ChiFi beat the crap out of the MuttroScum.

5. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cumberland Co, ME
    I have a hard time rooting for Chicago. A physical match ending in PKs would be ideal.

6. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I'm hoping for a really badly officiated match with hurt feelings, finger-pointing, and many cards. I want the Metros tired and distracted for the weekend.

7. George Griffin

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    I wasn't able to see the match tonight but it sounds like the Mutts didn't play well. They are in a slump (HUGE SMILE). Here's hoping the Revs can keepthem there.

Any word of the availablity of Franchino, JMM, Pepe and Noonan for this weekend?

George

8. RevsGuy06

RevsGuy06 Member

Feb 5, 2001
    england 2.0
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd assume Cancela and Noonan should be ok. I wouldnt expect JMM to play because of the turf. It may be better just to rest him until the playoffs.

Not too sure about Franchino though.

Just my 2 cents.

9. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    I watched the Metros v. Fire last night. It's a sad commentary on the game to say that the award ceremony afterward was the most exciting part. Two teams playing badly on football-lined phony turf. Not a good advertisement for soccer in this country. Max Bretos and Nick Webster were awful, as usual.

The Fire need an offensive midfielder. Beasley and Razov did little, but Ralph was better, although he was continually fouled. Perez was useless on the left side, and on the right, Whitfield battled with Bartholomew all night, and finally won.

The Metros never threatened. Clint disappeared for most of the game. They had a few good passes in midfield, but nary a decent shot on goal. Looked pretty lifeless, reflecting the cadaverous countenance of Bob Bradley. Edgar Bartholomew looked out of his depth on defense, and Whitfield exploited it with his winning assist. I think Ralston may be particularly effective against the Metros.

Only four yellow cards, and not a particularly dirty match. Just a bit scrappy, but no major fights. The ref let a lot of shoving and tripping go on, and that produced a choppy game with little smoothly flowing action.

After seeing this match, I think the Revs can take two from the Metros.

10. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USOC takes its toll

There was no injury report prior to the USOC match, so I can't compare the current report to a prior one, but...it looks like the Metros got banged up a bit. Moreno has been out for awhile, but I don't recall seeing Pope, Guevara or Bartolomeu on this list before now. With Clark and Mathis on yellow peril as well, we could be facing a very depleted Rotmasters on Saturday. Mathis' antics could get him thrown out early or at least end up watching the last game from the bench.

Any updates on our guys?

INJURY REPORT: METROSTARS – OUT: F Jaime Moreno (herniated disc); QUESTIONABLE: D Eddie Pope (L strained intercostals/ribs); M Amado Guevara (R sprained ankle); D Edgar Bartolomeu (L shoulder separation) … NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION – OUT: F Chris Brown (L broken foot); F Taylor Twellman (L foot stress fracture); QUESTIONABLE: D Joe Franchino (L calf strain); D Carlos Llamosa (R sprained MCL); F Joe-Max Moore (L knee sprain)
    INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: none
    SUSPENDED: none
    YELLOW PERIL: MET: Ricardo Clark (20 CP); Clint Mathis (20 CP) … NE: Sharlie Joseph (19 CP)

11. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Re: USOC takes its toll

Pope did not play in their weekend game against Dallas, so it looks like both Guevara and Edgar got those injuries against Chicago...not having to play against Guevara would be huge for us, hes like their Cancela and I'm sure they would struggle to create offense without him in there, especially with Mathis being no shows on the previous two matches.

12. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    I didn't see anything happen to Pope.

Bartholomeu had a clash with Razov in the first half, and was holding his shoulder and working it around, with a grimace on his face, during the second half. The injury may have contributed to Whitfield getting by him and into the box for the game-winning assist.

Guevara ran into Curtin in the center of the box late in the game, and, as I recall, either caught his spikes or tripped on Curtin's foot.

They all stayed in the whole game. I think with Guevara and Pope, they are being held out on Saturday as a precautionary measure. I think Edgar was really hurt.

13. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Quien es mas macho?

I've got to hand it to Bartolomeu (?sp); playing the rest of the game with a separated shoulder took cojones. I like him as a player as well. He has contributed hugely to the Metros' success this year. Like Nelsen's absence from DCU last week, (if he's absent) he will be sorely missed.

Guevara's injury didn't look serious.

14. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this game on TV? I don't see it in my FSNE or WB56 listings....

Brian

15. JM-Moore9

JM-Moore9 Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Holliston MA
    Revolutionsoccer.net says the game's on Comcast

16. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    Re: Quien es mas macho?

I like Edgar too. Since the first time I saw him play, I felt as though he could become a critical part of their team.

If both he and Guevara are out, they could be in worse shape than the Revs.

Then again, that might not be a good thing. I like being the underdog.

17. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    the game is supposed to be on fox sports world.

18. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    Right now, I'm thinking that the Revs really need to "lay one on" the Mutts.

19. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cumberland Co, ME
    I hope the Metrofans won't be chanting "nine-teen-eight-teen".

20. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Any word yet on Franchino, Llamosa, and JMM?

According to MLS.net, both Guevara and Edgar B. aren't injured.

21. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    I don't get FSW. :/

22. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Comcast

watch the game on Comcast.

23. oiRevArmyoi

oiRevArmyoi New Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Boston
    I don't have comcast or FSW. I have RCN. This is stupid.

24. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am at school and our school places a college channel over CN8 and we dont get FSW here, so this is awful. If I knew this was the case I would have gone home to have watched the game. This sucks

SUCKS I TELL YOU

25. ElmCityBrewCrew

Jul 8, 2002
    Elm City, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (R)

For once I get to watch an away game... and it's 1-0 Revs on a Fabbro goal.