Review: Revs Midseason Awards

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by burud111, Jul 17, 2012.

1. burud111

burud111 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know there's a halfway-point thread, so merge if you feel necessary.

I was wondering what everybody's thoughts were as far as midseason awards for the Revs. I came up with 6 categories that I think encompass a wide enough range, some positive, some negative. I gave some suggested nominees but you can absolutely spit your own fresh take.

BEST COACH/EXEC: Jay Heaps, Jay Miller, Brian Bilello, Mike Burns
    BEST PLAYER: Lee Nguyen, Saer Sene, Clyde Simms, Kevin Alston
    UNSUNG HERO: Chris Tierney, Blake Brettschneider, Clyde Simms, Fernando Cardenas
    BIGGEST BUST: Jeremiah White, John Lozano, Jose Moreno, Shalrie Joseph
    BEST PERFORMANCE: 3-1 win vs. LA, 4-1 win vs. VAN, 2-0 win vs. CHI, 2-0 win vs. NY
    WORST MOMENT: Preseason Tournament Loss, USOC Collapse, 1-0 loss vs. TOR, 1-0 loss vs. NY

I WILL SAY that I went with Jay Heaps as my pick for Coach/Exec BUT if you want to see the rest of my picks, you'll have to go to backheelism.wordpress.com. ;)

I toyed with the idea of best hairstyle, but it's clearly Stephen McCarthy's. duh.

2. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Fun topic! I have a weakness for awards threads.

BEST COACH/EXEC: Jay Heaps, Jay Miller, Brian Bilello, Mike Burns
    BEST PLAYER: Lee Nguyen, Saer Sene, Clyde Simms, Kevin Alston
    UNSUNG HERO: Chris Tierney, Blake Brettschneider, Clyde Simms, Fernando Cardenas
    BIGGEST BUST: Jeremiah White, John Lozano, Jose Moreno, Shalrie Joseph
    BEST PERFORMANCE: 3-1 win vs. LA, 4-1 win vs. VAN, 2-0 win vs. CHI, 2-0 win vs. NY
    WORST MOMENT: Preseason Tournament Loss, USOC Collapse, 1-0 loss vs. TOR, 1-0 loss vs. NY

3. Rangers Rob

Rangers Rob Member

Mar 30, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    If Mike Burns wins Best Coach/Exec I am leaving this forum for good

RevsLiverpool and cml1394 repped this.
  4. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best coach/exec- weird question
    Best player- Sene narrowly beats out Nguyen
    Unsung hero- Clyde Simms (if anyone puts Brettschneider they should be banned for life)
    Biggest bust: John Lozano (Pepe is still on the roster at least)
    Best performance: 3-1 LA away win, that was unexpected and awesome
    Worst moment: none of the above, it was the stupid stoppage time goal Shalrie and AJ gave away to a subpar FCD team

5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Best hairstyle - Clyde Simms.

6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best coach/exec- I agree with cml1394, they can't really be judged on the same scale. Having said that, Jay Heaps is the only one that has exceeded my expectations, so I'll go with him.
    Best player- Sene (although it seems the league is starting to figure him out)
    Unsung hero- Clyde Simms (better team when he is on the field)
    Biggest bust: John Lozano (salary was a huge factor for me)
    Best performance: 4-1 VAN
    Worst moment: 0-1 TOR, probably because it is still fresh in my mind

7. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say that if the Revs make it into the playoffs, Heaps will get serious consideration for Leaguewide Coach of the Year honors. If they win a series or two, he'd be a good bet to win it.

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    The main reason that Lozano isn't the biggest bust IMO is that he wasn't horrible when he played (and he wasn't out injured all the time [a la Badilla]). He just wasn't the coach's choice, mainly because McCarthy exceeded expectations, has significant potential and is much more cap/roster friendly being young, cheap and domestic.

9. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bobby Shuttleworth gets my pick

10. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    How is Jeremiah White possibly one of the biggest busts? lol he was signed as a bottom of the roster player, off trial. He has never been good, and wasn't expected to be good. Heck, he wasn't even expected to be marginal. No one in their right mind thought he would receive much playing time.

The three biggests busts of the season have to be Shalrie, Brettschneider and Tierney. They all receive regular minutes and they all suck horrendously.

11. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

holy shit that was amazing

12. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize that since you have been following your new favoUrite team up North you have probably been spending all your time speaking French, but I would not have thought that you would have forgotten all your English to the extent that you didn't know what the word "if" means. I would have expected that from our missing link, DJEsq, who probably has been on vacation in Albania for the last several weeks.

RevsLiverpool and KapeGuy repped this.
  13. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's the "if" that was so hilarious. As though it's a possibility at all. Don't worry my English is rawk solid.

14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Who exactly didn't think he would even be marginal? You?

Most people in this group seemed to think he was a positive, but not overwhelming signing. He's a veteran with 7+ years and over 100 games of European experience. For that we got 31 forgettable minutes. That's why he gets my vote.

15. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Most people viewed him as a depth signing, a guy that could hopefully provide us with some minutes in the USOC. To consider White the biggest bust of the year is ludicrous, especially with a disinterested, out of shape and overweight joke of a player sitting at the end of the bench taking up a SI spot and a far larger portion of our salary cap.

16. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Well contrary to what you may believe, every signing the Revs make is not genius, and some people can delineate that from the very beginning. White's Euro "experience" was in Greece, Serbia, Denmark, Poland, 3rd division in France and....Saudi Arabia. Places where he couldn't even find the field. No one in their right mind thought White would be good.

17. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I forgot about him. In fairness to him (I guess), that was a disaster from the very beginning. Still a major bust considering the "We've found our #9" nonsense. hahaha what a joke. This team is pathetic.

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Right, a depth signing - a pretty low standard. And he couldn't even provide that.

If you want to factor in expectations, I think most people here didn't expect much from Moreno either. There are pages in his thread to support that.

19. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    And if I go back and look at the pages in the Moreno thread, I'm sure you were complaining that everyone was being negative and that everything would work itself out. You can't have it both ways. Yes, the reasonable people on these boards saw the Moreno acquisition for what it really was. But did you, the Revs FO, or many other KADs out there?

For me, Moreno and Lozano were much bigger busts. We invested SI spots, more time and money/scouting cquiring them, plus much higher salaries. Beyond that, those are two players who were expected to come into the first team and make an impact (remember the big stink about Moreno being our #9), a much greater expectation than was placedupon White. To be a bust, expectations have to be fairly high, and for White that just wasn't the case.

Rangers Rob, patfan1 and Kraft Out repped this.
  20. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the time White signed, it seemed like a low-risk signing. He had the possibility to contribute, and if he did, that's great. But if he was a bench player or a washout, no big deal.

Kind of like Lee Nguyen, come to think of it. That one worked out, and White didn't. It easily could have been the other way around.

A "bust" would be someone where the investment and expectations are considerably higher. As someone said, when the FO is touting Moreno as their "big" signing, and especially all the work they did to salvage it when it seems obvious they should have just walked away (even without hindsight), that is a bust. And Lozano would be considered one, but the fact that they cut him loose shows they at least recognized it and are moving on.

21. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BEST COACH/EXEC: When San Antonio in D2 outdraws you, this is a strange category

BEST PLAYER: Lee Nguyen (had to be)

UNSUNG HERO: I don't know about hero, but what about everyone's favorite ex-League of Ireland player Ryan Guy?

BIGGEST BUST: Jose Moreno, too much negative publicity and malarkey and nowhere close to enough goals

BEST PERFORMANCE: 2-0 win vs. NY

WORST MOMENT: USOC Collapse- in a bad year for a lot of MLS teams in this tournament, this had to be the worst. Right up there (down there) in the ugly pages of Revs lore with the infamous J** P***** home loss.

22. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I know I know I know, you get a CCL spot....but no one really gives a shit about this tournament.

The worst moment of the season was when they decided to bring Mike Burns back. Whenever that was, it was a shitty moment. The shittiest moment from a franchise that has mastered the shitty moments.

Rangers Rob repped this.
  23. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with most of these. Heaps is learning on the job but should get the nod for execs/coaches although it seems Burns has figured out how to sign players this year.
    Best player, Sene based on output is my pick this year although Nguyen is probably the most talented.
    Unsung Hero, definitely Simms. Good pick up and quiet leader.
    Biggest bust, Jose Moreno is hands down the biggest bust of the season. He was brought in to be the starting #9 and has been a complete and utter failure since the day he was signed, through the 2 month soap opera to get him here, through today. He can't get cut soon enough. Shalrie gets honorable mention since his performance has declined significantly this year and he's contributing to the leadership vacuum on this team.
    Best performance, After yielding that early goal the Revs bossed Vancouver all over the field. It was one of the most satisfying wins of the year for me.
    Worst moment was probably the USOC collapse because even in a meaningless tournament with a majority of your scrubs playing and 10 men, no one should give up a 3 goal lead like that. Pathetic.

I agree with Kraft Out and didn't expect him to be an even marginal contributor on the revs. He has shown he can't stick with teams in Europe and came from the Saudi Arabian league ffs. I didn't even know they had a league. He's just never shown me any reason to expect much from him so I am not surprised he hardly played and eventually got cut.

24. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody?

[​IMG]

100% agree there.

25. Rangers Rob

Rangers Rob Member

Mar 30, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    BEST COACH/EXEC: Jay Heaps
    BEST PLAYER: Lee Nguyen
    UNSUNG HERO: Chris Tierney
    BIGGEST BUST: Jose Moreno, Sharlie Joseph deserves an honorable mention
    BEST PERFORMANCE: Win at LA Galaxy
    WORST MOMENT: U.S. Open Cup, an absolute embarrassment and a total ********ing joke. Don't even enter next year, I am sick of being the laughing stock of MLS with their piss-poor efforts in these types of tournaments.