Revs @ Metros, 9/13 - During & Post Match [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Danizinho, Sep 13, 2003.

1. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    The Revs didn't play like a team of last place last night. You have to play game consistently to win. Last night was a good example of how to win a game. That win would certainly raise their levels of self-confidence and self-esteem.

The defense was super, except the brief moment when Metros scored their only goal. There was a defense hole there at the time. The defense of corner kick is still a weak point for Revs to work on, other than that they were nearly perfect.

The problem of Revs is more of psychological than of technical.

Metros forwards are very sharp in attacking, skillful and speedy. But their defense got holes. So they lost last night.

Go Revs!

2. rscaramelo

rscaramelo Coach/Hack Defender

May 5, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine if Rusty or Joey chopped someone down like that no good puke Pope did? We'd have every moron from all the other boards chiming in about our terrible twins. It was a classless move by Pope and I hope someone in the Revs' front office will demand a review of it by MLS. It was an obvious red card and a short suspension is in order. You would think Rusty hit Landon of Nazareth with a billyclub the way people were bitching last week, this was 100 times worse.

RC

3. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Why doesn't Joseph get the assist on Noonan's first goal? It was his quick restart that lead to the goal, but it's credited as unassisted. Pity.

It's also a shame it's the top 4 in each division and not the top 8 overall that make the playoffs. Keep trying, though...maybe you'll catch the Metros. ;)

4. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    See. It's true: A prophet is never known in his own land. ;)

Cancela has yet to scratch the surface in terms of what he's capable of. He and TnT have hardly gotten a chance to familiarize themselves. Cancela's a gamer, too. The knock he took in training recently was pretty nasty, but yet he played on.

Have I told you guys that I HATE Clint Mathis? If not, now you know it. Thanks...that is all.

5. moacir

moacir New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Figueira da Foz, PT
    Another headcase

You left out the basketball player that dressed like a woman, and has tatoos all over.

6. TMurray

TMurray New Member

Oct 5, 1999
    Seems to me that we are better when we play the ball up through the midfield as opposed to having someone, mostly the goalie, boom the ball downfield. A lot of the playing up through the midfield occured in yesterday's game although I don't think it was by design in the game plan. In this situation our midfield was strong enough to control the ball and bring it forward, and consequently we controlled for most of the game. On the few occasions that the long pass was made downfield or Brown boomed it out the Metros took posession.

At the end of the game I concluded the Metros were not "up" for this game and thought it would be an easy win. Only at the end did they wake up and start playing their usual aggressive and effective game. Fortunately for us it was too late.

7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even then the defenders had their men marked, it was Noonan who was ball watching and let his mark get away.

8. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Why, you sayin' that Cancela's a diver??

Well played you Revs...keeping hope alive. Only to be dashed on the rocks of October? I fear so...

9. Brazile

Brazile Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Arlington, MA, USA
    Perhaps. But so long as they go down swinging...I can cope.

10. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Re: Another headcase

Dennis 'The Worm' Rodman is a case of the opposite - he clearly overachieved given his physical skills and intellect [as a pro basketball player now]. He wasn't anything when he became a pro and then became somebody.

Now, he's a pastiche of humanity, and makes a pretty compelling case as for why we should cleanse the gene pool periodically with heavy doses of chlorine.

11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was my fear too, especially the way the rest of the East has been playing. But Cowlumbus has a tough remaining schedule, all 6 against the East, 4 of 6 on the road, and 2 of 6 with Chicago.

If we beat them when they visit here, all we have to do is match them point for point in the other 5 games and we finish ahead of them.

Three on Thursday would be a good start...

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    That's pretty much always the case with the Revs. For the most part, the defenders just aren't good enough with the ball (or moving w/o it) and end up getting pressured or trapped and "boot" it up. When they give it to a midfielder, those guys know what to do with it.

I think everyone in the league realizes that the Revs have a talented offense and midfield and the way to play them is to absorb the pressure from them early, let them wear themselves out and then go after them.

I think the MS played that way (although too passively in the 1st half), but the Revs managed to stay composed (enough) to hold on.

I think it's been the case for a long time, that if the Revs could bury some counterattacks they could shock some teams and force them to play more conservatively. If you're no threat to counter, teams will come at you in waves. For that reason, Noonan's 2nd goal sounds out a HUGE message.

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    lines? what lines?

Another post-game comment:

On my tube, at least, the "soccer" lines on the field were virtually invisible. I could not see the end lines or the penalty area at all.

Maybe yellow lines work at field level, but you'd think they'd test out whatever marking they want to use to see if it shows up on TV!

14. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went over to the Metros board for a bit of lurk'n'gloat, and it seemd that a lot of people who were at the game had the same complaint.

15. jrandinho2

jrandinho2 New Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Pope

MLSnet.com Disciplinary Report (9/15)

Armas, C. (CHI) 9-13 @ LA Y - reckless foul 4
    Gray, K. (CHI) 9-13 @ LA Y - tactical foul 4
    Petke, M. (DC) 9-13 vs SJ Y - dissent 4
    Quintanilla, E. (DC) 9-13 vs SJ Y - tackle f/ behind 4
    Pareja, O. (DAL) 9-13 @ CLB Y - tackle f/ behind4
    Stone, J. (DAL) 9-13 @ CLB Y - tackle f/ behind4
    Stone, J. (DAL) 9-13 @ CLB R - 2nd caution 0
    Conrad, J. (KC) 9-13 @ COL Y - tactical foul 4
    Serna, D. (LA) 9-13 @ CHI Y - dissent 4
    Vagenas, P. (LA) 9-13 @ CHI Y - tactical foul 4
    Heaps, J. (NE) 9-13 @ MET Y - tactical foul 4
    Kante, D. (NE) 9-13 @ MET Y - reckless foul 4
    Agoos, J. (SJ) 9-13 @ DC Y - reckless foul 4

No mention of Pope's yellow. Is it truly under review? Could MLS finally be taking a hard stance on something like this? Probably not. My guess says Pope will get it rescinded for no apparent reason.
    It appeared to me at least (on TV), that the linesman was pissed at the ref during their conference and was disagreeing with the decision.

16. TMurray

TMurray New Member

Oct 5, 1999
    Regarding the soccer lines on the field, the following day I watched part of the Jets game played on the same field. To my surprise the field looked very green and the lines for both football and soccer were very clear. So, I concluded there was something wrong in the production or transmission of the soccer game that made it look so bad.

17. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution; Boston Breakers
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Pope

From the match report:
    Misconduct Summary:
    NE -- Jay Heaps (caution; Pushing, Holding) 18
    NE -- Daouda Kante (caution; Pushing, Holding) 74
    MET -- Eddie Pope (caution; Tackle from Behind) 93+

It was the AR (Chip Reed) who called the foul (watch his flag go up with a strong wave). Having seen Chip in action for many years now, I believe that he was arguing for a RED card, not a simple yellow. Chip does not put up with bullsh!t like Pope's attack.

The MLS Disciplinary Report (9/15) lists only one caution for Pope on the year, but the MetroScum team stats show him with two. I suspect that the DR will get corrected.

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I may be wrong (I TiVo almost everything), but wasn't the Rev game at night and the Jets game during the day? The artificial lighting is MUCH different than natural light - that would explain the difference (but not excuse it).

You would think with an artificial surface they could come up with some kind of "erasable" lines, that they could redraw between games.

19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally ... one of the things that amuses me the most about this last weekend:

Saturday night, Meadowlands, home team (Mutts) loses
    Sunday afternoon, Meadowlands, home team (Jests) loses
    Monday night, Meadowlands, home team (Giants) loses.

:D

20. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody send this to the Revs to be nailed to the locker room wall before the game on Saturday.

A repeat performance would be nice.