Revs. @ LA (r) morning after

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by MrSangster, Apr 1, 2012.

1. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs open a can of whoopass after leading 2-0 at the half

Keane red carded for foul on Soares

Goals by Nguyen 2
    Sene 1
    Joseph 1

La responded with a flop n the box Pk by Cardoza

Final 6-1 to the good guys

Oh, what is today's date ? :rolleyes:

2. Joeyfitzclick

Joeyfitzclick Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Newport RI
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Many people that did not watch and just see the score this morning will probably think it is an April Fools Day joke. That or a typo.

3. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's your April Fools day report.

Revs were the better team, completely outworking and outsmarting the defending champs, and coming away from their west coast trip with a well deserved three points, led by Clyde Sims who completed 44 of his 46 passes, and featuring a goal from Chris Tierney. April Fools!

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It feels like it should be just a joke ... but I love that it isn't! :D

5. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Can't believe this isn't an April Fool's Joke...

Great win for the boys in blue, great win...

6. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I haven't been in a Revs fan that long compared to a lot of people on this board, but the only times I've been this excited after a Revs win were the 2010 home opener against Toronto and the SuperLiga semifinal win against Puebla - and obviously in neither case did the Revs look this skillful or the team look this complete.

There's a lot to be excited about here:

- Our most under-rated signing of the offseason, Clyde Simms, has turned out to be one of the team MVPs, steadying the defense and allowing our attackers to work freely.
    - Lee Nguyen turning into Marko Perovic 2.0 with his footwork and playmaking in the attacking end.
    - Saer Sene's 2 goals in 2 games, and the fact that so far he has the foot skills and vision previous strikers the past couple years have lacked.
    - Kelyn Rowe with a breakout performance in the biggest game of his short career.
    - Ryan Guy proving he has the skill to be an effective MLS attacker, and that he should have been a starter the second he was signed in 2011.
    - Chris Tierney *actually* developing a deadly free kick (as opposed to Feldman saying he has one) and his defense and positioning has definitely improved a lot.
    - Jay Heaps actually coaching this team up - playing organized defense, making smart runs, and great combination passing.
    - All of this happening in the last 2 games WITHOUT Feilhaber, Lozano, Jose Moreno, and any other reinforcements that are/may be arriving. That and many of our players with regular minutes last year (Mansally, Boggs) are clear reserves! Actual depth!

7. gmboy95

gmboy95 Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norton, Ma.
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the credit in the world to jay heaps....that looked like a well coached team last night, that played a style I would pay to see, and above all else kept their collective foot on the pedal and finished strong!!!!

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very much agreed. It's only one game, but I definitely loved what I saw.

9. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serious question - while I realize I'm being extreme in not wanting to see BF start (and don't expect Heaps to actually sit him), do you see value in keeping the same LA lineup for the Dallas match, at least until the attack stalls?

I appreciate the 'if it ain't broke don't fix' approach.

10. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think your question is purely hypothetical because I think Benny will still be on the injury list on Thursday (I don't even think he made the trip and will not be with the team)

11. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great summary!

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that may be the case but he'll eventually return. If it's a similar performance in Dallas as LA and we get the 3 points, what do you do?

13. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a Feilhaber fan. But, I have to admit you may have a point. The midfield appears to be loaded now. Maybe we have some trade bait to add some defensive depth?

As for the game, it's been at least 5 years since I've seen combination play like that from the Revo. What's becoming increasingly apparent as this season unfolds is how profoundly stale Steve Nicol had gotten.

14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just got thru watching the game and still having a hard time processing what I saw. What we had here was a team with rust, defensive issues and missing their life force in Donovan versus a team with a few players who wanted to prove themselves, who tasted victory last week and wanted more. I think after the first goal, the Revs played like sharks in a feeding frenzy. They sensed LA was ripe for the picking and took it to them. The biggest thing that stood out for me was that this team last night looked like they were having fun! They looked confident. Best passing by a Revs team in probably 3 years. Guy was everywhere, Rowe put in a solid effort but still disappeared a few times, Nguyen again showed he can play and was possibly the best player on the pitch. Simms and Shalrie played very well together. I think Lechner showed he could be useful as well. Sene with two goals in two games is also a plus. Hell I will even give Tierney props. What worries me is the CB pairing. McCarthy makes me nervous still. I want to see Lozano more once he gets healthy.
    Question now is once Benny and Moreno are healthy, what does Heaps do? Who does he sit? Guy? Rowe? Senne? Simms? I thing Nguyen has won the LM spot hands down.

15. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When healthy Benny will surely start
    I'd reinsert Benny into the midfield, move Joseph back, sit McCarthy.
    I think Guy plays up top as longs as he continues to play like he did last night.

16. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ----and no one is even talking about Jerry White
    amazingly nice problem facing Heaps.

17. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Very Solid W.

The Revs did a great job of taking advantage of LA minus Landie Cakes, poor weather conditions and did in style.

Also after watching Dallas get crushed by DCU on Fri. I think the Revs have good chance for another W on the road.

18. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Kudos to the team for going out West, playing the MLS Champions and winning in decisive and deserved fashion. There were long periods of 'total' football from the team. Just great to watch.

Hats off to Jay for getting the team ready to play and obviously buying into his approach. That was absolutely fantastic - much, much better than the 'skin of our teeth' win at home against Portland. Same 3 points though.

All that said, I don't want to go too overboard as to where this team stands at the end of the season. We have a long ways still to go and now that we've won two in a row, other teams will approach us a bit differently. We need to sustain this level of play over a period of time for me to be a believer. In reality, this game was a one game aberration in terms of ball control and flow. A wonderful one game aberration, to be sure. I hope it gives them the confidence to continue as we move forward.

19. Revs-West

Revs-West Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Was at the game and it was worth every overpriced penny for the tickets. I hardly ever get to watch them live anymore so it was a real treat to see the west coast curse broken.

Hard for me to tell on TV in other games but the formation is way tighter this year. Lots of triangles are appearing where before players evacuated the occupied space too quickly.

I love the attack after the goals. You could sense a bit of bunker after goal #2, but it dispersed fairly quickly and put LA back on their heels. the young guns owned the flanks and slashed the central defense numerous times. Not nearly as many route 1 "passes" this match. Great to watch.

For my money, AJ Soares was man of the match. He was constantly diffusing the LA build up and really seemed to marshall the men around him. Bona fide leader in the back and you could tell by his body language and command that he expected to win.

Great to finally see the Revs live post Nicol. Heaps deserves credit for changing the mentality of this squad so quickly.

20. mrt/MLS

mrt/MLS Member

Oct 11, 2003
    CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's probably because we havent even been a semi-competent team since before that time. it's really been a quite a while.

i do think we should temper our excitement just a bit though (and believe me, last night was great! i havent felt this happy about a Revs game in years). that's not to say that there isnt anything to be excited about, because for the first time in a long time, there are things to actually be excited about. but last night, LA quite obviously made us look better than we probably should have looked. they we're mostly incompetent (that pass to and goal by Keane was class though). we were actually competent for a change, and confident. our energy was great.

but beating LA is always a wonderful thing. i think we can also all agree that we have some promising new faces out there and an enthusiastic young coach. new blood is refreshing and things seem to be looking up.

21. Revolution909

Revolution909 Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Rumford, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was really excited about the possibility of signing him this off season. I honestly completely forgot about him during the game. Well done building the MLS dream of 2 starting lines, Jay.

Too bad you had to get soaked. You make a very good point about the formation. Very tight on defense and fluid in attack. Great passing.

They did bunker, but they still created good chances and continued to threaten and keep LA on their heels.

22. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I didn't like about Nicol's anti-football is that we bunkered and it didn't work. I have no problem with trying to protect a lead. I have a problem with failing to protect a lead.

23. Revolution909

Revolution909 Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Rumford, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What about like 6 years ago when there was talk of organizing a protest because of how boring the Rev's mid season play was? Does anyone remember that? Even when score n' bunker worked it was horrible to watch.

24. Revs-West

Revs-West Member

Mar 24, 2004
    This. Could not agree more.

25. Revolution909

Revolution909 Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Rumford, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe there was fort-wide talk of turning around and watching the game on the screen because everyone was angry at the ultra boring defensive play the Revs displayed. And those teams were absolutely stacked with offensive firepower.

Nicol's game plan was hellishly boring even when he had good teams. I think owners know this & this might have been part of the reason that he didn't get any calls this off-season. If you want to draw fans, why would you want a boring coach?