Revs in Gold Cup - USA v Canada [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by nsa, Jul 9, 2005.

1. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starters for this match are Ralston and Noonan.

Not sure if Dempsey is on the bench.

2. Mike Toole

Mike Toole New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Snoozer of a first half. A couple of near-chances, mostly created by Ralston.

3. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2nd half, 6': Noons hits the crossbar with a chip that beat the 'keeper from 25 yards. He has also served in a couple nice headers to Wolf and Donovan.

Ralston's crosses have been serviceable. He got mugged about 2/3 of the way through the first half. Bounced back up.

4. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    61': Noonan misses point blank header from a Ralston pass. :(

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Between Dempsey's misses against Cuba and Noonan's miss today ... I hope the guys actually playing for the Revs do a better job finishing. :eek:

6. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Este juego es muy malo.

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noonan out in the 81st minute for Chris Armas.

Canada is just taking the game to the US right now.

Pathetic performance for the second straight game by the US. :mad:

edit: There's some help, second yellow for Canada's #8, Adrian Serioux. For the second straight match, the US will play a man up to end the game.

8. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dero me ha molestado

Major highlights of the game:

--the announcers having all kind of fun with the 'nuck named Grande
    --the announcers complaining that the game should've been 6-0 by one point

Seemed to me the only guy who remembered there was a game today was Ralston.

9. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only could parts of the game becouse i'm at work now, but form what i can tell on the PBP big soccer bored they are acting like noonan and ralston are the wrost players on the team. Any comments on that?

10. thigpig

thigpig New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    upstate NY
    hello troll, nice of you to stop by.

j/k but people are always going to complain about second string lineups because they think what could have been. but in reality the best players on the U.S. make mistakes too. and on that note let me add I didn't see the game but I doubt Ralston and Noonan did bad at all.

11. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    woah woah woah.. where do you see him trolling.. not cool.

12. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's a double revers troll reverse :rolleyes:

13. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they are jealous of the talent on our team. (It's great to finally be able to say that with a straight face.)

If you read the PBP the other night they'd have had you believe that Dempsey was dirt and Quaranta was MotM. :)

Let's hope the other teams underestimate the Rev all the way to MLS Cup '05. ;)

14. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL ...yeah i saw that game then read that thread afterwords and was like WTF??? There where really a lot of people on there who where calling Quaranta the MotM :rolleyes:
    just sillyness

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Actually, Ralston was outstanding, IMO. I can actually see him going to Germany.

Noonan played very well also, EXCEPT for that little detail "finishing". The strange thing is that Noonan was near-missing exactly the type of shots he buries for the Revs. I think he was a little over-pumped, particularly on the wide-open header that he powered past the post. He definitely tilted too far on the power/accuracy tradeoff on that one.

That said, the chip off the crossbar was a moment of brilliance, near-miss or not. That play, in itself, is a great demonstration of the intangibles that Noonan possesses. Had that gone in, it would have been in highlight films around the world.

I thought Dempsey had the same issue that Noonan did. He was getting himself into good positions to score, just not puttting the ball in the net. Both made Josh Wolff look like a waste of a roster spot.

Of course, when Beasley and Donovan were in together against Canada, they gave a very tidy demonstration on how those goal-things are done.

16. Jonny Bishop

Jonny Bishop Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I actually got to go to this one and I have to agree that Ralston had a pretty good game. He put in some good crosses and between him and dolo our right side was probably the most dangerous part of the attack.

Noonan, OTOH, was not so good. The chip was great but you just don't get a better chance than that Ralston cross he headed wide. He was responsible for a lot of turn-overs/bad passes and was getting visibly frustrated towards the end of the game, raising his hands half way and then letting them flop back to his sides in that classic "it's no use" manner. It looked like he was just off his game, disappointing. Hopefully with Casey out he'll get another chance, I'd hate to see this put a dent in his confidence.