Revs @ Houston, Season Opener 3/8/14

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Dec 20, 2013.

1. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good grief

:::sigh:::

BUSA Bulldog repped this.
  2. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm familiar with what we've seen from him in the past, hence my not having a ton of confidence in him coming into the season, but it's possible he could have improved on his organizing of defenses. He's still on the young side for a keeper. I would say the goals were all more down to just individual stupidity rather than lack of leadership from the back. Though I also freely admit that good organization stops problems before they happen, but Shuttleworth can't be blamed for JoGo's poor decision to go for a ball he couldn't reach, or Caldwell giving the ball away with a terribly struck pass deep in his own half.

3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-0. If our DP could finish from inside the 6 and Rowe could have kept his knee over the ball, we'd have at least not been shut out.

Oh well, on to next game.

4. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs announce their new theme song , "that smell" by Lynyrd Sknyrd

5. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Again, I'm saying he shouldn't have started based on their preseason form. Knighton was outstanding, making big save after big save keeping shutouts with a mix of defenders. I don't see how Heaps can claim it's an open competition and then choose the starter completely against what was visible in competition. Players are affected by those types of decisions as well.

That said, Shuttleworth was pretty solid tonight, apart from a couple poor clearances on crosses. I hope he makes the most of the chance he's been handed.

6. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I understand the point of him not earning it on preseason matches, I agreed with that notion, but I also have to admit coaches look at more than just the matches, there's a lot of training sessions that the fans don't see, and for all we know, maybe the defense is more comfortable with him having played with him in that past. Shuttleworth still has a way to go to win me over, but I'm trying to keep an open mind, and I have to admit that when hung out on his own as the team was pushing numbers forward, he kept things close enough in the second half that the Revs could have gotten themselves back into the game had they been able to finish any of the good chances they created.

7. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

I think its because Shuttleworth is a known quantity (from games last season) versus Knighton (new this season), who's only been shown a small sample of games. Coaches usually go with what they know, rather than experimenting in the unknown, for fear of it blowing up in there faces. Although, I guess a 4-0 scoreline kinda falls into "blow up in your faces" category.

I don't think Shutters had a bad game; I think he had some weak moments/decisions, but he also came up big 2-3 times, especially on that 1v1 against Bruin. Someone earlier questioned his communication with the backline; I've been wondering about that, too. It could also be the backline adjusting to a keeper that isn't Reis. I saw Tierney I think panic and hold possession of the ball when Shuttleworth was coming out calling for it.

8. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    This thread is unbearable. @Soccer Doc @rkupp @KapeGuy I'm starting to see things your way, these people are not mentally stable.

It was one game, people. Everybody take a deep breath.

KapeGuy, Doublecard, Jon Martin and 2 others repped this.
  9. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why we drink. :)

patfan1 and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  10. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I drink. It is deadly smooth...

[​IMG]

11. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    #236 CottageRev, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    Bad game all around. which I'll blame on the lineup Heaps sent out there - as I said earlier in the thread starting a really out of shape Tierney was a huge mistake - he was beaten like a steel drum defensively all night (at fault on one goal and partially at fault on another), and offensively he must have sent a dozen balls straight at Tally Hall tonight. His worst game ever as a Rev and totally avoidable. Woodbine played well in preseason, got a ton of minutes and was healthy - why wasn't he even in the 18?

Houston, even without Adam Moffat, is still a very physical team, so why play Caldwell and not Dorman, who can hang with that type of play better?

Jerry Bengtson - wow, just buy out his contract, KSG. The mythical post-World Cup ROI isn't going to happen. Keeping around a guy who will never contribute is better than losing a few hundred grand on a pro sports team?

Kobayashi right now isn't fully integrated into this team, so again starting him instead of Dorman or even Neumann was probably an error - as other posters pointed out he's not aware of his proper positioning in the Revs' formation yet.

On the other hand, there were some positives - until the last 7-8 minutes (when the whole team just gave up), they were still generating a solid number of scoring chances. Bunbury looks like he fits this team well. Other than not going toward the ball on Caldwell's weak pass, Mullins looked pro-ready. Sene's leg didn't explode.

Once Nguyen and Farrell are back, the team will look substantially better. Hopefully that's next week.

12. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get thee to our tailgate. :)

13. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okey doke.....oxygen levels fine, solid intake and exhalation...fine...... Now, how exactly should this fine night's fine 0-4 thumping indicate that KuppKapeDoc's fine sentiments as to how "All is Fine" should persuade us that sceptics of La Via Koolaida are "not mentally stable"?? :rolleyes:

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  14. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    #239 Cannons, Mar 9, 2014
    The most over rated beer since Coors wasn't easy to get

15. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    #240 Cannons, Mar 9, 2014
    I NEVER thought getting Parky back would be idiotic. In fact, if last night is any indication on how things are going to go, it may go down as the blunder of the decade. Who did we basically give him up for? was it the Newmann draft pick? How'd he do last night????? BTW the Crew won 3-0 and Parky was in the middle. Also saw the KC- Portland game and Benny looked very good.... another quality player lost.

We've had good players here. We either wont pay them, pay them to keep them or just find other ways to lose them. It's no wonder experienced players don't want to come here.... our management plain stinks. Ask youself this... what's going to change between last night and the next outing? Will our porous defense suddenly get better? Will our impotent attack suddenly remember how to score? We will get better as the season goes on most likely BUT this league has improved too much for us to be a contender following this "team on the cheap" business model. Every friggin year they blow smoke with talk of "missing pieces" or "we like what we have" crap. The prospects for professional soccer in New England is bleak as long as Kraft owns the team. I envy Portland. Good owner, good team, good crowd. Looks like fun to attend a game there. Contrast that with an empty stadium, no atmosphere and a college all star team. Also, we no longer get any big games here because of the damn turf. I dont give a damn about the annual Ka Ching tour.... I mean US NAT games. We always used to get those.... now were not even on the radar. The best thing that could happen here is for Kraft to sell the team and the new owner move the team to a smaller stadium with grass. I might start going again if that happened.

PS - one last thing from the MLS game report on the Crew game.

Johnson, who signed a new Designated Player contract this week, searched for space, but was smothered or subdued again and again by the Crew's Parkhurst and Giancarlo Gonzalez.

joegrav repped this.
  16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isnt that a symptom of following our sport?

17. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my profession we have a diagnosis for it and when we make that diagnosis usually it says a person is severely mentally ill. :eek:

nsa repped this.
  18. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, if you're vocal in your disappointment in last night's performance you need a shrink?

I will leave you to the diagnosing Doc but I think ranting and raving in an online message board about a soccer team you're passionate about may be a little less serious than mental instability. :)

Demonstrating a lack of perspective or big picture thinking? Sure, but that's why its fun to be a sports fan. :)

19. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worst 90 minute moment of the night -- the game. :cry:

Best take away of the night -- rebranding the 19 season strong KAD's as the KKD's, the KuppKapeDocs. Brilliant! :thumbsup:

KapeGuy, patfan1, nsa and 1 other person repped this.
  20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knew the KADs get a rebrand before the revs. Want to take a stab at designing their crest? My take would be a Life is good logo with a walking dead backdrop. Or - a Venn diagram of Burns Bilello and Heaps smiling.

Alan repped this.
  21. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm not saying they're right, I'm just saying that the posters in this thread are overreacting. It was one game, the first game of the season at that. We were without Nguyen and Farrell, two important contributors, and lost Kevin Alston in the first 20 minutes. There was a lot that went wrong in this game, but let's see how they adjust and come out against Philly next weekend. Like I said, it was one game.

bwidell repped this.
  22. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Sorry @JDEsq09 I should have mentioned you too.

23. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Haha, I did feel left out that I was not included in the group, but I realize I haven't posted much during the off-season and only a single post last night. One game, not worried.

24. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You missed my point (as usual ;) ). Posters on soccer discussions boards usually manifest wide "bipolar-like" swings. Tonights performance evoked the extremes of negativity. Walk away with a big win next week and we are likely to see many/most posts glowingly positive --- although thats unlikely ---ever---from some of our posters who have a bad case of Opticalanalopathy..

Seriously, I see nothing wrong in venting dismay after your team comes out sleepwalking. OTOH, to try to paint a picture of how this roster will play the rest of the year based on the first half of last lights game is very much over the top.

25. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    "The Hoof of Glory".

A nickname, and also what he thinks each of his plays out of the back will be.