Revs have long history with African players

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by rkupp, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah, the KKK just loves them Dominicans, Jews, and Japanese. :rolleyes:

Seriously, you are a ********ing idiot.

2. NeSpazz

NeSpazz New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Framingham
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be true, but I don't think you'd appreciate someone insinuating that the Revs are a racist organization, or likening them to the KKK. We get it Karen, you hate baseball, but this isn't just a remark regarding baseball--a remark like this carries over to all sports and is also a social and human concern. Coming on here and making light of it because it does not relate to your sport of choice does not make the guy's (or girl's) comments any less insulting.

Sarah

3. KATref

KATref Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Stow, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure but it was all ok last year when everyone was doing it to Cbus even though it was a single moronic fan and even their other fans decried the incident. Still they were all tarred with the same brush. I get it too you love the Sox, doesn't mean I have to take them seriously or regard them as some sort of sacred institution. I don't take racism lightly.

4. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If their other fans decried the incident, then how come to this day they still don't know who the fan is. May I remind you that the video that was shot was within the first few rows of their supporters section. Someone had to know who that was. And the fact that the organization didn't do a thing sickens me. They "investigated" it and nothing came of it. You mean to tell me that Crew Stadium doesn't have any security cameras and that the FO can't find out who the ticket was sold to? Either they didn't think the situation warranted much action or they were too incompetent to take action. I lean more towards the second as their FO has been an absolute laugh when it comes to contracts and personal. Yes, they did win MLS Cup, but they nearly f'd up things with GBS and Sigi left them.

Their fans may or may not be racist, but the facts that remain is none of their fans stepped up and pointed this asshole out, and the FO didn't find him. Both parties are at fault and I've lost a lot of respect for the organization and their fans.

5. NeSpazz

NeSpazz New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Framingham
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never asked you to regard the Sox as a sacred institution. In fact, you and I have laughed many times together over your disdain for baseball, and it doesn't bother me. I was disheartened by the whole episode in C-bus last year, and frankly racism of any kind, against any team or sport, pisses me off and puts me right on my soapbox. That's all I was trying to say. Not that you should go become a baseball fan, but to decry the stupid remarks the stupid guy made--as I did, rather than joke about not liking baseball. I know you, Karen, I know you don't tolerate racism, and I know you don't tolerate the Sox. :rolleyes: I just wish the whole anti-baseball thing wouldn't make its way into this argument, when my point was to not perpetuate stupid comments in any form. Against any sport.

I don't think the way C-bus fans were treated was fair either, and I think they got a lot of support from other fans after that. I know I for one wrote a couple posts and im's to c-bus guys telling them just that. One idiot doesn't make an entire organization idiots. But I have to agree with Steve, it doesn't make much sense they couldn't find the guy who said all that garbage. It's pretty sad, actually.

Sarah

6. KATref

KATref Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Stow, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true all of it, and probably if I'd actually read the article in question I might feel differently. And in fact I probably should have before commenting, rather than trying to be a smartass. To say that the FO should know who bought a particular seat in a GA section is a bit crazy I think. I agree that someone must know who the moron is and isn't speaking up which is very sad.

7. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh good, then I can freely call you a blind old git.

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so back to soccer…

I’m in full agreement on this one Doc. One of my favorite memories of all time. Did a bit of research, we had an announced crowd of 14,723 for the game. If there were 2k at the end, I’d be shocked. But those people that stuck around loved it.

Scoring Summary:
    Scoring Summary:
    TB --Shannon (Kinnear, Houser) 26
    NE --Gorter (Diaz Arce) 32
    TB --Shannon (Ralston, Houser) 42
    NE --Diaz Arce (Gorter, Burns) 50
    TB --Shannon (Ralston) 70
    NE --Diaz Arce (Jair, Moore, J.) 71
    NE --Baba (Burns, Moore, J.) 89

And for those that weren’t there, this was our lineup that day…
    N.E. REVOLUTION--Ian Feuer, Mike Burns, Ted Chronopoulos, Brian Dunseth, Richard Goulooze, Ivan McKinley, Imad Baba, Edwin Gorter, Jair, Raul Diaz Arce, Joe-Max Moore

9. Jayfil

Jayfil Member

Feb 24, 2000
    South Burlington, Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing that lineup again, that team should have been much better than it was. Rongen didn't have a clue what to do with that squad.

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking the same thing as I looked at that.

11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    When you look at those names, many of them were good->very good players at some point in their careers, but generally not with the Revs, or at least not all at the same time with the Revs.

Chrono was very injury prone and very erratic most of his career. He did pull it together to have a very good season at one point, but that was it IMO.

Ivie had some very good play, but also ended up his Revs career slow as molasses and way too hot-tempered for the team's benefit.

Goulooze was probably pretty good at some point, but was way too slow when he was here.

Gorter showed glimpses of brilliance with the Revs, but was also too slow and broken down to make much difference for us. His biggest contribution was stepping in and playing very well at cdef when we desperately needed someone.

Burns, Baba, Dunseth - nothing special. RDA had one very good season for us IIRC - maybe that was the year. JMM was injured a lot - when he played and was healthy, he was one of the league's best

12. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more things change...

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    And he's gotten better as the league has gotten better!

14. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In todays news...

West Africans find success in American professional soccer league
    Brent Latham, Voice of America News, 4/14/2009
    http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-04-14-voa38.cfm

New England is the focus and labeled 'trailblazers' in uncovering talent in Africa. There are several quotes from Burns and Nyassi with some good insights.

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    also sounds like Nyassi will be testing the waters when his contract expires

16. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which isn't the least bit surprising.

17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no but it is unfortunate. I think that kid has a huge upside and could be one of the top players in the league in a few years

18. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he just signed a senior contract last year. We have a few years to worry about that.

19. jrkumor

jrkumor New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    H2O-Town, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coming to America

I guess there is no need for a thread on this story, as it is probably covered here.

20. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That article by Little Frank is a GOOD READ.

21. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    There are no African stars in the league, though, only role players.

Maybe Mac Kandji is on his way, but not yet.

So far, Mamadou Diallo was a one-off in terms of African MLS superstars.

22. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Digital Takawira?

23. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Good memory as always, but I don't think he was that super, even for MLS.