Revs-fire(r)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by George Griffin, Aug 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    at no point in time am I defending Carlos Bocanegra's actions.

I just have a hard time finding any defense for the Kamler tackle...tackles like those = busted ankles.

2. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Hmmmmm.

3. Gregor

Gregor New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    Boston, MA USA

I agree, Kamler was out of control. However, you must admit, that, of the two, Kamler got the short stick.

4. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Kamler's foul, reckless as it was, was a stupid attempt by him to slide around Bocanegra and keep in the ball that Boca was shepharding out of bounds. I, along with most of the Rev posters, felt that it was a well deserved red. The Fire fans, on the other hand, were calling it a "studs-up challenge" (Kamler hit Boca with his arms, not his cleats), and saying things like Boca was lucky not to end up in the hospital.

Now, after Boca (whose challenge was almost identical to the one that Joey did on him last year), while completely under control, took out Asad's legs from behind, and we hear that not only should Boca have gotten a yellow, but "His was a foul to send a message and stop play. Not to try to injure, like the red in the 8/18 game"? What an unbiased opinion...

5. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    While I appreciate the irony of Kebzach defending Bocanegra after blistering Franchino last year for the foul that resulted in Bocanegra's injury, I disagree that the fouls were identical. Franchino's was a shoulder to shoulder aerial collision after which Bocanegra fell awkwardly. Whether Franchino was under control is debatable, but he was playing the ball, not Bocanegra's knees.

6. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Yeah, so what?

I thought it was a yellow.

I'm not sitting here blasting the ref for calling the foul or assessing a card, and I'm not saying that Boca was justified for what he did.

THAT, my friend, would be defending his actions.

7. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    What you're forgetting here is that Bocanegra saw Kamler coming and got off his feet, and as such Kamler's feet slid right under Bocanegra, and his arms were indeed probably what made contact with him.

But if he had been grounded, he had an appointment with Kamler's studs in his future.

He was lucky to see him coming and get off his feet, much like a 2nd baseman turning a double play while having his back to the baserunner attempting to take him out and slow down the relay.

Joey hit Boca while Boca was standing near the sideline. That part alone makes the 2 challenges you're talking about not almost identical.

I MAY have a wrong opinon, but I do feel that I am being unbiased here.

A yellow was the call that I feel was correct. His foul was done to take the guy down and stop play, but at the same time, there was just that *hint* of a professional foul. Not a reckless challenge that at no time implies anything professional about it. In my mind, that's what I see as the differences between the 8/24 and 8/18 fouls.

8. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    I'm going to try to draw a picture.

.............Asad's legs
    .............|.........|
    .............|.........|
    .............|.........|
    ..................|
    ..................|
    ..................|
    ......Boca's challenge

.........................= not professional

9. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Kamler was trying to slide around Boca and kick the ball that was in front of Boca. His feet went around Carlos but he got Carlos with his arms. There were no studs involved in Boca's future. I was right there in the stadium, and you got a better angle than the tv showed.

Joey and Jay were challenging for a 50-50 ball and weren't that close to the sideline. I menat that Boca wrapped up Asad's legs the same way his leg got scissored by Joey. Boca's challenge on Asad was from behind, and he was trying to stop the play, but getting him from behind with his other leg didn't look accidental.

Boca challenged Asad from behind and slid right through the back of Shaker's legs. As far as I know coming up on someone from behind and taking their legs out is supposed to be a red card offense. THe reason that I said that you were biased is because of all of the posts that I see from Fire fans complaining about their players being injured on bad challenges. After Boca's injury last year we heard all about other players like Nowak, Wolff, Stoichkov and others being injured by reckless challenges. To now hear a Fire fan (who described Kamler's foul the way that you did) state that it's ok for the Fire players to do what Boca did seems a tad bit biased to me.

10. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    From my experience, when you're trying to split hairs this finely, a rabid team affiliation can tend to sway your judgement just a bit.

BTW, there's nothing in the rule book that says a "professional foul" can't get you a red.

11. Gregor

Gregor New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    Boston, MA USA

and since when is scissor type tackle a professional foul? in the WWF maybe. They were both red card challenges.

12. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course. Since when is a two-footed scissor tackle from behind supposed to be a red card?

Oh, wait a minute...

But then again, the Fire are in first place, and the Revs are in fourth place, so they commit professional fouls, and we must be nothing more than a bunch of vicious thugs and hacks.

Gregor's right. Both Kamler and Bocanegra deserved red cards.

13. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Whatever you say, pal.

I for one haven't had that attitude in our discussion here, but you're free to feel whatever you want.

14. "Red" Foley

"Red" Foley New Member

Jul 6, 2001
    Sell the lot of them for scientific experiments !

That's cos it's a known fact that Chicago Fire supporters are drooling slack-jawed sniveling whingeing eejits who wouldn't know a sending off offence from a clean, fair challenge. You'd think that after having a team for 4-5 years that some of them would have watched enough live football to make an intelligent observation, but no. As a group, I have never, ever met a less informed lot that those from the Wind-bag City.

Christ, even the Metro-Filth, as dispicable that they may be, at least pay attention to the football enough to understand the game, unlike you lot.

Cheers,

"Red"

15. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Red,

shut the ************ up. pretend it's a Revs home game.

sincerely,
    me

16. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Re: Sell the lot of them for scientific experiments !

As I said before, what this forum's been missing has been more posts from Red Foley.

17. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Second that.

Word to kebzach: duck!

18. Gregor

Gregor New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    Boston, MA USA
    all in favor? aye. motion passed. we shall require at least one post daily form Red Foley. If Red should be unable to meet this requirement, I nominate Big Frank to do the best he can.

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And with that pleasant remark, the thread is now closed.

And yes, I would very much like a daily post from Red, even if it is going to be recycling the same old stuff that wrote for POCM five years ago.