Revs-fire(r)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by George Griffin, Aug 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Griffin

George Griffin New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    Talk about a defensive lineup, a 4-5-1 with TnT up top alone. No realistic offense--at all! Zip-Zip at the half.
    Not having a second forward to take the heat off TnT really s--ks. Also the Refs are not protectine him. He gets hurt by someone climbing hyis back and the Ref calls the foul on him. What crap.

2. Joel Schwaab

Joel Schwaab New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Tampa, FL
    Cheers for the update! I've been crazily searching for some sort of information.

Are the Revs playing a traditional bunker-down and counter attack strategy? Yikes.

3. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what little I've seen, Revs are playing pretty well. Nice goal by Wolde Harris. Now 1-1 in the 80th min. Are you Rev fans getting the TV there? Sounds like an NE broadcast.

4. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-1 Revs in the 88th min. Kante off of a corner kick.

3 mins of stoppage coming.

5. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Radio Broadcast

On WEEI 850, the sound quality leave a LOT to be desired. The narrative cuts out every minute or so for about 10 seconds.

As a result, listeners did not get to hear either Revs goal on the radio. In fact, I didn't know Kante had scored until a good minute had passed.

6. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am so glad you guys are beating the Fire!! :)

7. goyette82

goyette82 Member

Jan 16, 2000
    Lowell, Ma
    I was close enough!

8. Bill Duggan

Bill Duggan New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    MA
    Revs 2-1 Fire
    Harris Curtin
    Kante

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WHAT happened on that fire goal. 5 people were next to curtin???????????????

9. George Griffin

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    It was an ugly win but then most road wins aren't very pretty. I'm glad that woldi broke out of his slump. Maybe he can be the essential second forward we've needed so badly. I knew they could do it (my Rev Guess was 2-1 Revs :)

10. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a much-needed win, puts us 4 points behind the mutts, and 2 points ahead of DC. Now, do we want a DC win or a tie?

11. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Jim Curtin is 6'4"....

When Curtin jumps to head a ball into the opposite corner of the goal, there simply isn't a player in this league that can defend that..

12. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Well I guess that makes a whole bunch of us.

Curtin's goal was top shelf - all the more painful after his fouling Twellman and TnT taking the rap.

If you had told me that the three goal scorers tonight would be Curtin, Harris and Kante, I would have said...Harris and Kante? Actually, for all the times Wolde has really smelled, he has scored some gorgeous goals as a Rev. The goal tonight would be a candidate for goal of the year.

I'm looking forward to all the posts from Fire fans apologizing for Bocanegra's tackle on Asad, denouncing Bocanegra as a menace, and saying that he should have gotten a red instead of yellow. [​IMG]

Did Adin Brown have particular difficulty holding on to the ball tonight?

Is it just me or is the team already reflecting Nichol? Are we working to become the Wimbledon '88 of MLS (a team that won the FA Cup with physical, non-beautiful play)? Did APC need to make the trip?

13. moacir

moacir New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Figueira da Foz, PT
    3 points, no complaint.

First time around that the REVs turn around a game.

The line up for the first half was ridiculous. A lot of players in the midfield, unsure where they should be and booting high balls most of them to Fire players. Meanwhile TnT was upfront by himself, taking abuse.

When Breasley or Razov beat the REvs defenders on speed, it is expected. The REvs defenders have lead feet. BUt Stoichov, please, when he started playing professional soccer, some of the REVs players were in diapers. It looked like they were still in diapers today.

The REVs actually played worse today than on the day they lost. The difference was a reversal of luck. This time Razov and Stoichov could not score on an empty net and Brown made some 10 defenses that blocked the ones going in.

Maybe TnT is watching the Beach Soccer Mundialito on TV. The REVs first goal was a typical beach soccer play.

With two players up front, the REvs had more chances and coverted. Chicago, as I said last week, has no midfielders, they have a lot of players playing in the middle of the field. The Route 1 direct play, does better with Harris who can field the ball and has more bulk to keep the defenders away.

3 points, no complaint.

14. George Griffin

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    OK--EITHER A DC WIN OR A TIE TOMORROW---please
    Still a real longshot to make the playoffs but "It ain't over till it's over"
    DCU and Mutts are in reach and with two games in hand on KC they are also in range.
    The top of the table has turned into a real furball. No team has won three in a row this season. Real parity with a few weaker teams at the bottom of the table. Final standings are still anyones guess. Good stuff!

15. twell_girl

twell_girl New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    cali
    just hang in there...the revs can make the playoffs...

...ciao!
    ...the surfdiva

16. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    Stupid Revs...always sucking me back in. I was perfectly happy with having given up before tonight. But noooooooo.

17. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    i'd really love for that revs v metros game at the end of the year to be a "do or die match". if the revs creep back into it and that's the case.....kraft soccer better promote the hell out of that 9/21 tie-up.

18. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    You said it man. Giving up with this match would have been much easier but now we need to suffer the pain of hope that we can make it to the playoffs.

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A tie is the best result for the Rev.

20. The REVerend

The REVerend New Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Newton, MA
    ...And this is probably no less than what the Revs have to do to make the playoffs...

Not a comforting thought.

But right now I'm just gonna enjoy the victory.

21. The Perfesser

The Perfesser New Member

May 23, 1999
    AthensGA/NewburyptMA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Revs-fire(r)

Exactly, Dustin. Basic math.

Anytime you are chasing 2 teams (with multiple games to play) it's always better that each get only one point each than one team getting three.

22. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I disagree.

A DC win is the best result for the Revs.

After all, you're not "chasing" DC. They're currently out of the playoffs too. Whether they temporarily overtake the Revs on points is inconsequential.

The most important thing is that the 8th place team not gain any more points. You can worry about DC later.

Unfortunately, I expect NY to win and effectively close the door on both NE and DC.

23. JG_Revs

JG_Revs Moderator

Sep 11, 1999
    Boston
    I agree... fending off DC is a secondary concern, that comes later. DC can get as many points as they want, cause I doubt that they would overtake Metro by the end of the year, even with a win today. We need to avoid Metro gaining any points. We're closer to the playoffs and in better shape if it's: MET 29, DC 26, NE 25 than: MET 30, NE 25, DC 24.

24. Bill Duggan

Bill Duggan New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    MA
    I also agree, we should want the metros struggles to continue. United doesnt have what it takes to get into the playoffs.
    With a metro win of course... the season is over.

25. glennmcdonald

glennmcdonald Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Estonia
    The worst thing about this win is that Nicol might think it validates his 7-2-1 formation. I expect to see him further perfect it on Wednesday by putting in Cloutier for Griffiths in order to get an 8-1-1. After all, the same logic that argues for leaving Twellman as the lone forward argues for leaving Ralston as the lone attacking midfielder.

That said, nice to see Pierce on the field again, at all, and nice to see Brown getting between some shots and the net.