Revs Fire Post Game Thread

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by JMMUSA8, Jul 9, 2005.

1. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well its unfortunate, but thats what happens when you have 4 of your best players out.

2. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I consider John a better player than Franchino. A better defender, anyway.

3. brandnew_de

brandnew_de Member

Jun 18, 2005
    CT
    Revs MOTM: Matt Reis

Fire MOTM: Bruce Arena

4. SoccerKnight

SoccerKnight New Member

Nov 12, 2003
    No offense on the field. The defense was decent.

5. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Well Chicago were missing Guerrero, Tiago, Jacqua, Sanneh, Armas and Caballero. 5 starters likely among those 6. But, I'll admit the missing players seemed to hurt the Revs worse watching the match.

Mapp was still able to break things down through the midfield, and the Revs didn't really have anyone to create pressure through the midfield.

6. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution; Boston Breakers
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6 out by the second half.

Why pull Pepe instead of Riley?

Not much to talk about.

And not much to look forward to next Saturday against the Burn.

7. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    When your central midfielder is Joey Franchino and your center back is Jay Heaps...

8. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I was thinkin more along the lines of Dempsey, Noonan, Joseph, and Ralston are the 4 best players on the team. But that still works.

9. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guerrero compared to John, toss up
    Tiago compared to Ralston, Ralston
    Jacqua compared to Noonan, Noonan
    Sanneh compared to Dempsey, Dempsey
    Armas compared to Joseph, Joseph.

It's our problem that our players are too good. The only reason why Taylor isn't with the National Team is because he got injured. Potentially, Bruce could have called in 5 Revs.

I hope next season MLS fixes this problem for the World Cup. Some Wednesday games can correct the problem.

10. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to spend any more energy on the Fire match--it's OVER---DONE

Lets move on to discuss the Dallas match

11. brandnew_de

brandnew_de Member

Jun 18, 2005
    CT
    Good call. In all fairness, we discussed what could be discussed about this game in the pre-match thread. Nothing more really can be said. We were massively depleted and, unlike with uranium, we don't get stronger because of it. A victory would have been borderline shocking, though a draw would have been nice. Oh well, on to FC Meat-eaters.

12. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Christ almighty that was a terrible PK call.

13. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    For all the depth that the Revs have part of the problem is that the depth on their bench is essentially all role players. There's not too many guys from the bench that you feel like are really pushing anyone in the starting line up. Sure there are guys who are a toss up over one another but the rest of them are best as bit pieces.

14. Scott Zawadzki

Feb 18, 1999
    Midlothian, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the Fire indeed did deserved the result tonight.

Reis was incredible!! Looked to me that on the Chicago goal, whoever was defending the near post (Leonard?) gave much too much space inside the post.

Although any loss stings, it was nice to see local boy Luke Vercollone finally get a good run in the second half. He seemed to make some nice touches and brought in a pace that was missing on the outside.

Scott

15. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Chicago has a lot of depth. Guys like Jessie Marsch and Jim Curtin have been 50/50 starters this season, but are very experienced players. Reiter/Herron are international players buried on the bench.

I hope we meet in the playoffs. I think the Revs are clearly the class of the East, but Chicago probably has the best chance to challenge. Not sure how you sorted your list, but don't underestimate Guererro. I think he may be the best player of the 10 listed (yes including Dempsey, Noonan and Joseph). The guy is very tallented.

16. brandnew_de

brandnew_de Member

Jun 18, 2005
    CT
    I had forgotten about that. That really was the Rev's highlight of the match :eek:

17. Crewbasher

Crewbasher Member

Jul 7, 1999
    The Enemy Base
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was it just me, or was Riley moving at about half the pace of everybody else all night? There were a few passes hit a couple of yards in front of him, but on several occasions, he just couldn't catch up to it. And it wasn't like he was flying after it... he just seemed to be stuck in neutral.

18. Dan B

Dan B New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Marlborough, MA, USA
    Wankers of the match:

Bruce Arena - nuf said
    James Riley - Didn't belong on a High School field let alone anything pro
    Ryan Latham - see James Riley
    Khano Smith - Can't win the ball in the air or on the ground, won't run, and can't read the game
    Joey Franchino - Without the ball he was two steps slower than anything Chicago had, maybe even Fat Zach
    Marshall Leonard - Looked very "Burnsie" as he moved to his right to allow just enough room for the ball to go to his left and in our goal.
    Steve Nicol - Why was Edozian on the bench at the start of the game, and why was Riley left in for more than 10 minutes? Subbing out Cancela and leaving Riley in the game was just stupid
    Marufo - I don't think he had a hand in the game decision, but he was just plain chaotic. Why not just blow the whistle every minute, and award a random free kick?

MOTM:

Matt Reis - Not just the PK stop, but everything inside the 18
    Parkhurst - Looked like an MLS quality player
    Dorman - Made the midfield somewhat respectable from time to time

Isn't this where Doc says we have tons of depth this year, and he has the utmost confidence in the coaching staff? This must be a master plan to lull the other teams into thinking we aren't playing well, just before we go on our winning streak.

19. Crewbasher

Crewbasher Member

Jul 7, 1999
    The Enemy Base
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think some case can be made for Shalrie to be team MVP (perhaps even league MVP?) after having watched the match. For most of the first half, we couldn't control the ball long enough to get it past midfield. Not only would we have had a bigger physical presence in the defensive 3rd with Shalrie around, but not having him showed just how poorly our transition game is without him.

Granted, I don't know how much he really would've affected the result tonight, considering the performance of some of his teammates. But his presence on the field certainly would've provided some help for us.

By the way, when did Mike Burns start coaching Marshall Leonard on how to defend a corner kick?

20. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well said Dan! It sure is rare but I agree with each and every word!

Where's Gilberto??? :D

Mike

21. Scott Zawadzki

Feb 18, 1999
    Midlothian, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latham knew going in that this was his BIG opportunity to get himself into the rotation. After Riley's subpar performance (again), a quality game by Latham would have lead to many more minutes down the road. In my mind, he blew his chance (along with Riley for that matter).

Blew a PK call in our favor in the first half...fell for a crappy dive in the second. Nice save by Reis leaves the PK as a moot point. I'd like to call into question the timing for the end of the match. I believe he blew the whistle at about 93:05. 3 minutes of stoppage time was announce. 3 minutes means that the referee is planning on adding between 3:00 and 3:59. Chicago subbed DURING stoppage time which should have added about an extra 30 seconds bringing the game end to 93:30 and 94:30 or so. Looks to me like Marufo blew the whistle as soon as he thought he could get away with it to get out of Dodge. Unfortunate match for him...but ALL referees have unfortunate matches.

Scott

22. B1

B1 Member

Feb 19, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't wait until we have a fully operational mothership so we can bench Khano Smith. If he was the one who impressed the team when they played Bermuda, I'd be afraid to see what the rest of that team is like. While I was kind of leaning toward us losing this game before it started, it was the way we lost that was frustrating. They couldn' complete a pass. I know it won't happen but I want them to put in John for Franchino when he comes back. Joey took really strange routes to some balls passed to him, and it caused it to be dispossed more than once. I do like Edozien as a sub. He'll get one past the keeper and not have it hit the crossbar one of these days. The ref was erratic tonight. He wasn't why we lost though. I will agree with Reis's assesment of him, "You **********in' suck!!"

23. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Fire's fill-ins were significantly better than ours, and Dorman and Franchino were well below what they're capable of.

24. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    [whine] What is the point of this Gold Cup? Is it a competition for the US to beat up on poor CONCACAF teams like Canada and Cuba? Just have a home and away matchup between Mexico and the US and be done with it.

I know it's a major competition that wants to be the likes of EURO or Copa America, but, come on. Wasn't this competition just on two years ago? And, what after next year's World Cup? Will the Gold Cup be played again in 07? What if the US gets invited to Copa America in 08? It's just a never ending cycle isn't it?

It's a shame, really, because this should've been the matchup of the East with both teams at full lineups. Instead we got a reserve match from the Revs who clearly have no depth on the bench. After Noonan and Twellman, they are done with forwards. There is no one who can come off the bench and create anything at all like a Alejandro Moreno or even a, gulp, John Wolyniec.

So, the Fire deserved to win tonight. They put in the effort and clearly should've had more goals if not for an excellent Reis and some good spells from the defense (barring Marshall Burns Leonard on the inside post).

Now onto next week's match. Let's see who we got coming up. Oh, nice. FC Dallas. The only time these two teams meet. The two class teams in MLS this season through the first half of the year. What should be an entertaining matchup will most likely be another Revolution reserves struggle to keep it close.

Good job MLS. [/whine]

25. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vercollone should see some more minutes there on that left flank. With a couple of exceptions crossing the ball, he was pretty good tonight.