Revs @ Fire, 7-9-05 Pre-match

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by brianzappa, Jul 5, 2005.

1. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    No Joseph, Noonan, Ralston, Dempsey, John...

Thoughts?

2. mrt/MLS

mrt/MLS Member

Oct 11, 2003
    CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im looking for the win. ;)

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I say it's time for some replacement players, eh?

[​IMG]

The Magpie

4. Weber King

Weber King Member

Sep 28, 2001
    North Andover, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody horked our players!

5. brandnew_de

brandnew_de Member

Jun 18, 2005
    CT
    Take off you hosers.

Will Flores be available for this'un, cause now would be the time for him to shine.

6. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sure hope so. We are real short of experienced defenders at this point.

We may be without a bunch os starters but the group of players available can play better than they did last night. Getting that late goal my help. They know they didn't play well last night. Going to Chi-town will be different

One thing about the Fire has been their BIG target forwards and IMO marking them and shutting off the feeds into the box is going decide this one. We need to clog up the midfield.

I would not be shocked to see us go with a 4-5-1

Reis
    Heaps, Parkhurst, Franchino, Leonard
    Riley, Dorman, Flores, Pepe, Smith
    TnT

Bench: Edozien, Latham, Larentowicz, Vercallone, Warren

Fire have shown that they can be beaten on the counter and often off the trap. Both Riley and Smith have shown that they can---sometimes---run at people and put in a good cross.

Midfield control as always will be decisive

7. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a great old Evan Dorkin gag strip in which a guy thinks he's getting away with the perfect murder, only to be introduced to the detective and medical examiner on the case: Lt. Colombo and Dr. Quincy.

I wouldn't say we're that screwed, but I can't think of a way to finish this sentence.

8. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    I had a dream a couple weeks ago that I commited a murder and Lt. Columbo was the detective- he busted me.

9. rob1066

rob1066 New Member

Nov 12, 2003
    I'd be a bit suprised if we went to a 4-5-1. I think Nicol is trying to instill a sense of consistency where possible and this includes the formation and personnel where possible.

I see the line up as:

GK - Reis
    RB - Heaps
    CB - Parkhurst
    LB - Franchino
    LM - Leonard
    RM - Riley
    DM - Dorman
    DM - TBD
    AM - Cancela
    Strikers - Twellman/ Smith or Edozian.

Trust that the players you have can work within the system. I'm not saying it will be easy or that we will definitely prevail but let's not rock the boat with changes because of the loss of one player. That used to be the MO and look where it got us.

10. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please let me be the next one to join the growing chorus...

We're screwed....screwed....screwed.....

This could get ugly. We may play for a draw and lose 4-0. Then again, we may play for a draw and get one. But I doubt it. I can't see us winning this game. Not unless Bruce concedes the Gold Cup and sends our boys home.

Did I mention that we're screwed ?

P.S. I detest the 4-5-1 and I think (hope) Nicol has grown enough as a coach to not go back to it. Nevertheless, our 3-5-2 will look an awful lot like a 5-3-2 and if Edozien starts, look for alot of long balls to Taylor's head, bypassing the midfield.

11. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Tiverton, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that we're not likely to see a wholesale formation change from Nicol. How about:
    GK - Reis
    RB - Heaps
    CB - Parkhurst
    LB - Leonard
    LM - Smith
    RM - Riley
    DM - Dorman
    DM - Franchino
    AM - Cancela
    Strikers - Twellman/ Edozian

It's a stable formation with everyone playing a position they've been in before.

12. rob1066

rob1066 New Member

Nov 12, 2003
    So there seems to be a general consensus that we're **********ed for Chicago's match. I guess we might as well not watch. Matter of fact, someone should tell the players what a hopeless suicide mission they're about to go on.

Those of you that think that way can watch something else. The rest of us will remain positive and hopeful.

13. HiBall

HiBall New Member

Jul 25, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY
    come on rob. don't get all high and mighty.

no one is saying they're not gonna watch, support the team, or be hopeful. the mood on these boards has been pretty positive this season as a whole. i don't think people are being unreasonable by discussing their opinions of what looks like a very daunting game. i assume you are aware that we ARE in fact missing tons of important players against a very good and very hot team.

i think that hoping for a tie and being thrilled by a win is pretty reasonable. and i don't think im a bad fan of the revs because of it.

14. rob1066

rob1066 New Member

Nov 12, 2003
    I'm certainly not trying to be high and mighty. In fact, your attitude is a perfectly reasonable one and is one that I hope most have. But that is not what I've read from some when they say we will get trounced. Their words are not a reflection of what you have just stated as your hope for the game.

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's kinda simple ... when you try and list the reasons we would normally win this game, Ralston, Noonan, Dempsey, and Joseph would be high on this list. And none of them will be playing.

Then you look at how we just played last night, and we didn't do too well.

And finally, we're playing a team that is playing very well right now. They also have a ton to play for in this game, as if they lose this one, they're down three points to us and we have 3 games in hand, and they've lost the season series already.

I will be at the Midwest on Saturday night, cheering on the Revs loud and proud. But that doesn't mean I'm going to turn a blind eye and not realize that we're in a boatload of trouble for this game.

16. Gregor

Gregor New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    Boston, MA USA
    I'd bet on this line-up, but I'd prefer Latham at LM over Smith - he looked quite active in limited time last night and I'd like to see what he can do over 90 minutes

17. rob1066

rob1066 New Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Yes I realize it will be a difficult game. All games are difficult and of course this one is going to be more so by a considerable factor. I just take umbrage with the choice of words being used to convey similar feelings. When one says "we're in a boatload of trouble", to me that signals a defeatist attitude from the start. If we're down 2 goals in the first 10 minutes, then maybe you can say we're in a boatload of trouble.

Enough hairsplitting for now.

18. Gregor

Gregor New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    Boston, MA USA
    I take umbrage at your umbrage

19. rob1066

rob1066 New Member

Nov 12, 2003
    And I say to you, do not meddle in my snit. Good day sir.

20. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chitown is missing Armas and Sanneh correct? That helps, probably two of their best defenders,,,then again,,,,we are doomed I tell ya, dooooommmmeeeed

21. rob1066

rob1066 New Member

Nov 12, 2003
    But we have the Dorminator

22. Bman

Bman Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Beverly, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like something a college kid uses to keep a keg cold.

23. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, thats a Kelvinator.

A Dormanator is the guy who stands at the door of the party collecting $ 5 to pay for the keg.

24. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a formation change is in dire need for this one match. You have to be blind not to see that our midfield is depleted, especially without Joseph which has always been our most important mid field player. Didn't Riley play defence in college? I think he should be brought back into the defence for this one. play 4-4-2. Move leonard back (which in my mind is a bad move, but this is a desperate time), Smith plays LM (Thats his true position right?), and Riley on the RM. Edozian starts up front, I don't care if Smith had his best game as a forward Monday, Edozian actually looked like he wanted the ball, and that simply want puts pressure on the Defence and keeps them on their toes. But of course the Chicago Defence won't be pressured much cause i see us playing for a 0-0 tie. Or we might just win it if we find that we get a good counter attack out of the back.

Reis
    Leonard Parkhurst Heaps Franchino
    Smith Cancela Dorman Riley
    TnT Edozian

Get ready to play 90 minutes everyone, bunker down, and play for a 0-0 tie. The midfield needs to think defence the who time, and if we get a window of opportunity to counter attack then do, but do it fast and aim for Twellman.

RRRREV IT UP

25. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're also missing defender Jorge Samuel Caballeros and midfielder Mario Guerrero (both Honduras) and striker Will Johnson (Canada).