Revs featured on Inside the SuperDraft

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by burud111, Jan 17, 2012.

1. burud111

burud111 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't wait for this. I enjoyed watching last year's very much. Surprised they picked us with Mr. Personality, maybe Burns finally opens up to the camera.

3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a pretty good series and it's interestig to hear the various club personnel talk about how they view the draft. Surprisingly, Mike Burns comes across personable and relaxed and speaks with candor. I've never seen him like that before. Could this be a new leaf he's turning over when it comes to dealing with the media and public?

7. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he's being Coached by Heaps :)

8. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. burud111

burud111 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Case Study:
    Two scenarios came up in the most recent episode. Would you do what the Revs did?

A. Declined trade with DC United where the Revs would have traded the #3 pick to DC for the #7 pick and allocation money.

B. Tried to trade allocation money for the #12 pick (Toronto) to try and get Chandler Hoffman.

I'd assume each chunk of allocation is at least $100,000.

10. RevSoccerMV

RevSoccerMV Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After some amateur lipreading, it looks like Burns says $155K when discussing the DC trade offer(so trading back to seven and picking up $155K in allocation). Interesting Jay tells him about valuing the offer, that the year in the finance game is paying off. I wouldnt do the trade either, its not worth it and its a rival.

edit-regarding above
    a-yes, decline offer
    b-hmm, thats pretty high for straight cash, its probably worth ~$200K. Id rather use that $ towards signings. So I guess no, I wouldnt try to trade just allocation to get the pick.

11. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trading 3 for 12+$ with DCU is a tough one. Kylne Rowe had mixed reactions, and no one was really certain where in the draft he would go. Could he have fallen down to 12? The Revs brain trust decided there was no way he falls that far.

It's an interesting scenario. If I was playing fantasy draft I may have taken the gamble and get both my player + $

12. burud111

burud111 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was 7+$$ to DC.

13. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kelyn Rowe would have gone #3 or #4. He was Toronto's number one guy, and several other teams were trying to trade up knowing that New England, and Toronto were near certain about taking him.

14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Seattle.

15. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have declined the offer to trade the #3 pick. Rowe seems like a good find, and it seems certain that someone else would have snapped him up pretty quickly. In the earlier episodes before the draft, various teams are mentioning players they like and his name came up in more than a few instances. I think they did the right thing in keeping the #3 pick and taking Rowe.

As for trading allocation money for the #7 pick, that's a bit more of a grey area. If we could get a good player there, it could be worth it. It also depends on how much allocation money we're talking about. Of course, the wild card is what kind of deals the Revs have in the works for new players where they will need allocation money to either pay down the cap hit or whatever.

By all accounts, we should have a pretty big pile of allocation cash, so it could have been a good move, provided 1) it wasn't a lot of allocation money, 2) they had enough stored to make the moves they are planning, 3) whatever player they could get at #7 would be better than whatever the hypothetical alternatives. Realistically, if they are looking at major minutes to 3 rookies, plus a 2nd year man in Soares, that seems pretty risky to me.

16. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a great series, and it's good to see all the background manouvering and the talks of deals that don't get done. I thought it was well done how they focused on only a few clubs, and it's nice to see us participate in something, even if it's only this. Most of the time the Revs are the team that never is involved in anything, especially something to do with letting the public in behind the scenes.

Any who knew Garber could speak French? Not like they had an NFL Europe team in Paris or anything!

18. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually thought the Revs were the most "professional" of the teams featured. The KC guys were dropping f-bombs every 3 seconds and picking guys because "he's f***ing beast"

19. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    World League had a team in Montreal. I don't think Garber had anything to do with that league until the NFL took it over. He was the head of international operations, so he would have had a hand in things like Canadian TV deals even before NFL Europe days where French could have been a benefit. There's also the possibility that he's been on a Rosetta Stone crash course ever since they started seriously considering bringing Montreal in. Embarrassing not to speak the primary language of one of your markets.

After all, there has to be some explanation for that gap between the intended schedule release date and the actual schedule release ;)

20. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that was pretty funny. The KC staff gave plenty of good insight in the interviews so they were fine IMO

21. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think that has nothing to do with professionalism. Being professional would be utilizing a full roster and having an experienced coaching staff.

22. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're entitled to your own opinion.

KC sounded like a bunch of d-bags at a fantasy football draft.

23. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    They dropped two f-bombs. How do you think people talk in the real world? What do you think gets said in a Patriots war room on draft day?

24. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't give two craps about the words they used. It wasn't how they said things, it was what they said.

Revs staff: "He's a good player and he fills a need" "he's versatile" "he combines well with teammates"

KC staff: "He's a beast." No internal debate, just Vermes repeating "We'll take him because he's a beast."

25. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    You do realize that this is only a small glimpse into the draft, right? I don't think this was the extent of all of their talks, especially considering Vermes seemed to be rather well spoken and thought out throughout these videos.