Rev's Dempsey vs. USMNT Dempsey

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by NebUSA, Apr 14, 2006.

1. NebUSA

NebUSA New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Nebraska
    While I’m only able to see a few of the Rev’s matches, I do watch every USMNT match. So far I have been far more impressed with Dempsey when he is with the USMNT. Which is an excellent sign if he is looking to Europe after the summer. Does he impress as much with the Rev’s as he has of late with the USMNT?

2. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    He was rookie of the year in MLS, and had 10 goals and 9 assists last year, even though he missed a lot of games and plays midfield usually. One difference is that he is well-known in MLS, and so he gets a lot of defensive attention. With the Nats, they ( other team) have never seen him before. Also, he gets a bit more space wide right for the USA but he does not play there for Revs because of Ralston.It is a good position for Demps because he gets a bit more room, and seems to know what to do with that room.

3. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    Dempsey was the undisputed MVP of the first half of the last MLS season, but faded in the second half. That's kind of how his rookie season went too. Hopefully he doesn't "fade" in Germany.

4. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas
    When did Dempsey's "fades" begin? I realize it's impossible to pinpoint an exact date, but am just curious whether he generally began to fade more in June, July, or August.

5. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the "fade" also coincides with other teams keying on him. It appears that he has decided to deal with that by stepping up his game. Good for him. (Check out Rolfe this season also.)

One interesting fact is that I seem to recall that last year his salary was around the 50k range -- quite low for an impact player like he has been. I don't know if that has been revised for this season.

However, when he moves to Europe after the cup, his income will be that number many times over -- as it should.

I see Dempsey continuing to elevate his game and I expect him to be an impact player both for his club and country for many years to come!

6. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dont know about that... the past few nats games ive seen hes been getting hit pretty hard.

7. NebUSA

NebUSA New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Nebraska
    Agree, One of the biggest impacts that I've seen him have is that he comes into the game and draws fouls, usually in good set piece positions.

8. AndSomeAreAngels

AndSomeAreAngels Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is definitely one of Clint's biggest assets. Many here accusing him of flopping, but I disagree. He gets hit. Hard.

I just hope that we can find someone who can capitalize on the set pieces. We're definitely hurting in that department, though I like when Cherundolo takes them.

9. GONATS

GONATS Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Atlanta
    I remember seeing him as a rookie and telling my father that he and LD were going to be the future of the national team's midfield. Still leaves to be seen whether this will be true, but I guess the point is that yes, he has impressed me tremendously with some of his MLS play. Was very glad to see him get a chance before this world cup. Looks like he could be a great impact sub or possibly even more?

10. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Tiverton, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During the first half of the season, Dempsey mostly played a free-roaming CM with Shalrie Joseph behind him and Jose Cancela playing the primary AM. He excelled in this lineup with excellent combination play among Noonan and Twellman up top and Ralston and Cancela in the midfield (LM was a problem all season, but that's for the Revs boards). He was also making strong late runs leading to some great headed goals. The fade occured during the second half of the season. Cancela was replaced by Andy Dorman and then Daniel Hernandez with Clint moving into the AM role. He wasn't really up to the task of running the offense which, combined with the league figuring out that the way to slow the Revs was to foul them, led to significantly reduced production.

11. USA2010?

USA2010? Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Get a good look now, because you won't see him in MLS after July. He's clearly a cut above MLS and should fit in nicely in Europe.

What impresses me most is that he wants to go to Europe to elevate his game, knowing full well that he won't max out in MLS. Gee, I wish someone in LA felt that way.