Revs death watch (aka euthanasia)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by MouseyTongue, Aug 30, 2002.

1. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, two teams aren't going to the dance and we all know that they are the Revs and DC, so why all the pins and needles?

Well here is the thread to prove that Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead...and the Revs soon will be.

SJ and Dallas are already in and here are the maximum points possible for the remaining teams:

LA 51
    Mutts 47
    Clm 46
    Chi 46
    Col 45
    KC 41
    =====
    Revs 40
    DC 38

Stay tuned...

2. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    I'd have more confidence if I were you. NE seems to be hitting their stride at the best time, while KC seems to be hitting the skids. NE could very well pull it out.

JMac

3. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, but you don't understand, I'm a charter member of the Revolution Masochism society. I'm looking for a mercifully early exit from the playoff picture as opposed to the nail-biting last game death throe. No wait, being the masochist that I am I suppose I should be looking forward to that 90th minute goal by the Mutts in the final game to send us out of the playoffs...or better yet a thrashing in the first round.

Nah...I'll just maintain the death watch.

4. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, the optimists say that yesterday's results keep the Revs' playoff hopes alive while the rest of us realize that they simply prolong the death.

LA secured a spot in the playoffs last night and Colorado could do the same today. If the Mutts win in Dallas on Thursday and Chicago beats LA at home on Saturday then DC can put us out of our misery this weekend and prolong their own.

Here are the numbers for the 7 teams left in the hunt for the final 5 spots (first number is current points - second number is maximum possible)

Colorado 36-45
    Columbus 35-44
    Mutts 32-44
    Chicago 34-43
    Kansas City 35-41
    =============
    Revs 29-38
    DC 26-38

5. soccergirlkd15

soccergirlkd15 New Member

Jun 13, 2002
    DC only has 26 right now - just thought I'd help.

6. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct, I edited the post, thanks.

7. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One less team to contend with, Colorado just joined SJ, LA and Dallas in the playoffs. Now the only western club not in the playoffs is KC.

Only four spots left, we should be put out of our agony soon.

8. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what kind of fan are you? This race can go down to the last game, they could be tied with the Mutts. Remember, we have DC this week (worst road record) and the Mutts play Dallas. Right there, the revs would be tied for the 8th spot. They are only 6 points out of the CONFERENCE lead, thats 2 wins. When the revs make the playoffs, you don't deserve to go.

9. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    A realistic one. Personally, while pleased the Revs are playing better, call me a cynic but I'm concerned a bit about the playoff thing. More fine tuning and reorganizing needs to be done, and my concern is that the front office, etc. will think everything's okay if they grab the 8 spot, when it's not.

Development of players and a cohesive team is more important to me than a playoff spot at this point.

10. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    Hear, hear re. development. Lower level playoff positions are like staving off relegation. You make it in/through, you still have to beef up for next year or you are doomed to repeat the grind. Nobody should be fooled by anything if the Revs squeak into the playoffs. There is a lot of work to be done to improve the squad, no matter what happens.

JIM DOW

11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree Jeff. But where exactly would the team lose by making the playoffs? For the younger guys, it's a chance to play in a playoff game. For the veterans (some of whom will not be here next year, it's a last hurrah). Personally, I've always believed that you take steps, and not making the playoffs again is not a step forward. Hell, even making the playoffs is not really a step, it's standing still, but it's better than going back forwards (at least last year, we had Open Cup to "hang our hat on").

I did not watch the Crew game, so I'll state that to start. But I have liked what I have seen the two previous games to that one.

How do players develop, or how does a team become more cohesive? Well, one of the ways is to continue playing together. If you don't make the playoffs, you can't do that.

And hell, I'm sure in the next month or two we'll hear that the Revs have traded away their entire draft for the rights to some great player in central America that they won't get anyway.

I say bring on the playoffs!

12. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Experience is valuable, no doubt. Where the team would lose by making the playoffs is from a "we got in the playoffs, woo hooo, we don't need to make more changes, we can stay the course" standpoint. I can see this happening very easily given the Revs track record. Complacency is a concern to me. As messed up as Zenga was as a coach, one valid point he had was his "we make playoffs, everyone forgets we need to get a lot better" stance.

Bottom Line: if playoffs come, great, but not if done in a quick fix, illusion manner. Developing for bigger and better things beyond comes first IMHO, if it results in a playoff berth, great! If a playoff berth results in more of a stagnant stake, then the Revs are wasting their time save for a few players seeing playoff PT.

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I guess I'm off the opinion that whether or not they make the playoffs, nothing will change, as Sunil/Todd/??? continue making decisions, and nothing changes.

I'd still rather have the playoffs. Look, changes continue to be made in this organization (small ones like players, big ones like GM/coaches) and yet nothing has changed. We still suck. Step at a time ... make the playoffs this year, and then you build on that. You don't keep rehashing not making the playoffs, because after a while, you become like the Clippers used to be in the NBA. Great draft picks every year that accomplished nothing.

14. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I'm sure you're not the only one who thinks nothing will change regardless.

So this doesn't drag out, I'd like them to make the playoffs. However, if complacency sets in even more than now because of it, there are pitfalls to sneaking into the playoffs, especially if the stay is very short. One way or another, the biggest thing is they are playing better, and MAY be finding their way for the future. A sense of direction is what I'm looking for at this point. A playoff run that in the end shows no direction (or at the expense of future development) is my worry. Or do they still have no direction regardless of what happens? If that's the case then what the hell, playoff time so the supporters can have some fun at home playoff match #3.

15. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, in my own defense, I am a well traveled, beaten, battered and now jaded fan. I have suffered so much now with this team that I have discovered the exquisite joy of the pain delivered year in and year out by the Revolution de Sade.

All I'm saying in this thread is that keeping hope alive is the flip side of torture before death.

Of course, what more could a masochist ask for?

As for "deserving" to attend a playoff match...would I be more deserving if I wore my soccer smile or if I had a corporate sponsor?

16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didja hear the one about the Sadist and the Masochist? The Masochist says "beat me" and the Sadist says "no."

That should tell you all you need to know about being a Rev fan.

Tom

17. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Mutts brought the end a little closer tonight. If the Revs lose just one more it will take a complete meltdown from Chicago (i.e. lose three straight) for the Revs to make the playoffs.

Here are the latest numbers (current points - maximum possible points):

Columbus 35-44
    Mutts 35-44
    Chicago 34-43
    Kansas City 35-41
    =============
    Revs 29-38
    DC 26-38

18. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, I'm not sure about what tie-breakers DC holds but they sure seem dead in the water.

The Revs on the other hand have decided in true sadistic style to REALLY prolong our agony (with a little help from Chi and Cow-lumbus). Again, I'm not sure about tie-breakers, but Dallas could do a good job of euthanizing the Revs next week. Unfortunately the Fire play the Crew so it is possible that that Chicago will remain beatable. Heck they replay that match the next week, so things are really tight!

Columbus 35-41
    Mutts 35-44
    Chicago 34-40
    Kansas City 35-41
    =============
    Revs 32-38
    DC 26-35

19. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that outcome can not happen. Columbus and Chicago can not both win its last 2 games.

20. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True enough, but the second number is the potential for each team. Chicago could make it to 40 pts. Likewise, Columbus could make it to 41 pts. But BOTH results are not possible. There is a minimum of 2 points and maximum of 6 points that will be distributed between these two teams in some manner.

21. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, the MLS East leader will not crack 41 points. The Revs are sooooo in this race *sigh*

Here are the currents and potentials:

Columbus 35-41
    Mutts 35-41
    Chicago 34-40
    Kansas City 35-41
    =============
    Revs 32-38
    DC 29-35

22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Revs win 2 and they are automatically in since Chi and Col play each other twice.

23. moacir

moacir New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Figueira da Foz, PT
    The REVs are over the bar

Columbus 38-41
    Mutts 35-38
    Kansas City 35-38
    Revs 35-38
    =============
    Chicago 34-37
    DC 32-35

The REVs are over the bar for the first time in a very long time.

Now, you guys with a lot of time in your hands... Figure who has the tie-breakers...

BTW, It was nice that DC won two in a row. Don't need to go to the record breaking third, though...

24. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    I am guessing Dr. Kavorkian has been in the slammer this whole time.