Revs - DCU Reserve Game 5/14 [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Colonial717, May 14, 2005.

1. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Should be over by now? Any good news today?

2. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Reserve Game?? 5/14 [R]

From Goff's Sunday article on the 1st Team loss:

In the reserve league game, United blew a late two-goal lead and lost, 4-3. Jason Thompson, Nana Kuffour and Jamil Walker scored for D.C. (2-1).

Kuffour has scored in all 3 reserve games - have to wonder when he will get a chance to get some 1st team minutes.

3. Blacksheep

Blacksheep New Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Ohio

DC up 3 -1, sub made in 78th minute (Terris for Perkins) Rev's win 4-3

4. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nana's goal should be goal of the week, a rocket from midfield. The first team guys were watching the game in their traveling suits and were all on their feet. So disappointing we couldn't hold on to the lead.

K

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Who was at fault for the let-up? Was it all on Terris? If not, who was responsible for the defensive lapses?

6. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought they were saying on the soccer show...that we had the lead, we had to sub out the folks who played toward the end of the Reg-game...i.e:
    Dema and the others....plus the goalkeeper switch...

Our 1st reserve loss!!
    :(

I had mixed feelings on the reserve stuff this year....but had come to a point where It adds some good excitment!!! for the Day after...I only dread that someone gets hurt during a reserve-match....We cant afford that at this point...

~~Worm~~

7. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Terris was not the only sub, Dema, Carroll and Namoff came off in the second half. To be honest I couldn't really see the NE goals as we were on the opposite end of the field and the players bench pods were blocking my view. I do know that Kenny Arena was on in the second half and we were told he was tossing his cookies earlier and generally feeling like hell.

K

8. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=176409

BOX SCORE

Scoring Summary:
    DCU -- Thompson (Quintanilla) 20’; Kuffour (unassisted) 63’; Walker (Quintanilla) 65’.
    NER -- Vercollone (Wilson) 61’; Holmes (Kelto) 76’; Holmes (Latham) 88’; Cancela (Holmes) 90+’.

D.C. United Reserves -- Troy Perkins (Andrew Terris 74), David Stokes, Tim Merritt, Bobby Namoff, Brian Carroll (Matt Nickell 57), Dema Kovalenko (Kenny Arena 46), Nana Kuffour, Shawn Kuykendall (Nick Van Sicklen 88), Jason Thompson, Jamil Walker, Eliseo Quintanilla. Head Coach: Peter Nowak

New England Reserves -- Doug Warren, Easton Wilson, T.J. Tomasso, Jeff Larentowicz, Luke Vercollone, Ryan Latham, Jose Cancela, Connally Edozien, Felix Brillant, Jamie Holmes, Khano Smith (Anders Kelto 46). Head Coach: Steve Nicol

Misconduct Summary:
    DCU - J.T. Thompson (caution) 70
    NER - None.

9. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington

It sucks they made them play on that crappy field!

I see Matt Nickell entered for Carroll in the 57th minute. I'm pretty sure that's his first appearance in any kind of competitive match for DC. Does anyone know if he played forward?

10. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would guess that Nickell paired with Walker at forward. Thompson has been used as a right midfielder in previous reserve games and Kuffour has been mainly playing forward with some attacking midfielder time as well. I would guess that Kuffour moved back to the midfield when Nickell made his debut with DC.

11. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

Think Van Sicklen took a confidence hit after that game in Mexico?

From starting a few games at the very beginning of the season to getting all of two minutes in a reserve match is pretty rough.

12. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999

V.S. is dealing with a thigh strain/pull. Actually, he didn't practice with the team at all last week.

13. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington

Nana Kuffour heckled the New England defense all day!

At least that's what Rory Flynn writes in his match report on Top Drawer Soccer:

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/NextStep/1116349957/view

All kidding aside, it's nice to have these reports for a little more info on how our reserve players are doing. Thanks to the folks at Top Drawer Soccer.

14. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000

I spoke to VS at the Pour house after the last home game, and based upon that conversation, I'm surprised that he came on for the reserve game at NE. He didn't seem ready anytime soon.

As an aside, he seemed like a very articulate young man.

15. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The 90 minute rule combined 1st team/reserve team rule has already been broken numerous times by several MLS teams in these reserve games - this instance was the first one where the guilty player (Cancela) actually scored a goal (the game-winner in fact) in those extra minutes.

16. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United

DC has every right to file a protest. If we were rushing Namoff off the field to be sporting, then I don't see any reason why NE couldn't do the same for Cancela.

17. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The usual scenario is that a 1st team sub ends up playing most/all of the reerve game and exceed the 90 minute rule in the process due to a lack of subs for the reserve games.Some MLS teams seem to be taking these reserve games more seriously than others in terms of the players who they use and the use of non-roster players when needed. NE has used their 3rd string goalie (Tomasso) as a 90 minute defender in both games against DC. KC, Metros, and NE have all used their 3rd string or non-roster goalies as field player subs. It would seem to make sense for each MLS team to have a short list of local-based players from which they could draw to have a 1-2 available subs for each game - who knows, they might be able to uncover a decent player in the process.

18. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Too much Logic!! In your post!!

~~worm~~

19. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002

Can't believe the Revs official was claiming sour grapes by DCU. Rules are rules and since there is a financial incentive in this reserve league, they have every right to file a protest.

He's right anout one thing. They need to work on closing the deal when ahead 3-1.....

20. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA

This is funny to me. I bet if we had won the first game we would have ignored this but anything to get some work out of the MLS Front Office is good.

21. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA

Can the Revs then file a protest for Santino Quaranta playing over the 90 minute limit in the first regular season/reserve series between the two clubs on April 23rd and 24th? They can probably make a case: between both games Quaranta logged at least 89 minutes, and almost certainly played past the 90 minute rule courtesy of stoppage time. Considering the financial implications and the fact the Revs lost this match, the Revs could certainly file a protest.

That being said, I don't want to see some tit-for-tat act of retribution. What I would like MLS to do is clarify this particular rule somewhat, especially when you consider that the match officials have control over the clock, how much added time there is, while also managing substitutions.

The Magpie

22. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA

Sure.

Yep, I think we're all on the same page here. I don't think it's to DC's credit that they're protesting the game. I would like to believe that the motivation is less sour grapes and more, as you say, to raise the issue that the rule is at best hard to enforce and at worst quietly ignored, and clarify what the league's position is going to be. If the generally accepted practice / gentlemen's agreement is going to be that a couple of minutes here or there is OK, then that's great, but let's all be clear about that. According to the story, DC was hustling off a defender so as not to be in violation of the rule, and then our defense subsequently gives up the game-winning goal to a guy who is in violation. If we're all in agreement that being a stickler for the 90 minutes isn't important, then we won't hustle that guy off next time.

23. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001

Hey Brad Feldman (NE suit), what if the games were reversed and the friendly was first and the MLS game second. I'll bet you'd be protesting if you took off Cancela and Namoff scored the winner in the League game. Jacka$$. Rules are rules and you broke them.

Thx,

Jay!

24. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

If this was a youth soccer league that shall remain nameless (rhymes with "tags"), we'd be protesting both games. :rolleyes: