Revs--DCU Prematch Chatter

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Soccer Doc, Oct 6, 2003.

1. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, that's not a bad point about season-ending injuries. We have two forwards that definitely won't be back and a defender (Llamosa) who may not be back this year. It seems that the Revs at least have an argument for a compensation replacement even if money and player availability argue otherwise. It could be a short-term loan. If it became possible, who would you choose?

2. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    So w/ TNT gone, would it be correct to assume the strategy will be try to get the first goal and then play bunker ball for the rest of the game?

Or do they maintain their same style and hope JMM can make it through the whole game?

3. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so sure about the bunker ball. Our midfield has been playing very well, especially offensively. Noonan and Moore both know how to finish if they get the good service. I'm sure we would start to bunker late if we have a lead, but probably not until the 70th minute or so. Until then, we would probably just try to keep the pressure on.

Lee

4. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I wonder if Dallas and/or Crew would loan a player for the playoffs once they're on vacation in 3 weeks ;). Perhaps for a draft pick? I'd love to read the Fire board when they read that McBride would be starting against them in a Rev jersey - that would be worth a draft pick in itself.

Last time I saw Chelski play, Crespo was on the bench daydreaming of the day when he made it to the big time and played for the Revs. I suppose we could make room for him.

Seriously, if the guys that have been hurt recently and have come back - Kamler, JMM, Franchino, Pierce, Llamosa - have to sit, our subs will be I. Kante, Downing, and the incomparable Tony Frias. Things are getting tight, and no relief in sight.

5. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bench depth is key late in the season. So far SN has shown that he's been developing his bench players well enough that they have stepped up when given the chance, With Brown and TnT out we are a bit thin at forward but we still will be able to field a team that can score goals.

I still see tomorrow as a Rev win. Hell, I've just driven 700 miles to see this match and I will settle for nothing less than a Rev win !

Go Revs

George

6. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    Joe Max remarked earlier this week that the biggest surprise when he returned was the general depth in MLS and, specifically, with the Revs. Outside of the howler vs. the Fire when it seemed half the team was down or suspended, the non-starting players have done fairly well. Tomorrow will certainly be a very difficult test but with Leonard, Fabbro, Cullen, etc. coming in there still is enough quality to win on a one off basis. Long term, well, we need Franchino, Llamosa and Twellman back, but for tomorrow, wel we'll see.

JIM DOW

7. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To answer my own question...Johnny Wilson!

The signing of Chris Bagley from Charleston prompted the thought. Wilson is a defender who already has minutes with the Revs (and a goal, no less!). He would provide depth and cover. Granted we are down two forwards in season-ending injuries, but why not get help in the back?

8. RevsGuy06

RevsGuy06 Member

Feb 5, 2001
    england 2.0
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jesus H Christ, I'm pining for the 1996 Revs right now! Wheres Stevie Nicol at right now, I need to talk him into placing me on the squad for depth. I'd be a more valuable developemental player than TFIII at least.

9. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, with the Crew falling to the Fire tonight the Revs magic number is ------2------! If that isn't sufficient to motivate the Lads tomorrow I don't know what would.

Go Revs

10. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but wouldn't be more exhilirating to lose three matches and see if Columbus can win two? The chances that Columbus are going to win at DC and then home to Chicago are slim and none, and that is what they HAVE to do to make the playoffs. Of course, Chicago have the top seed locked up, so they have nothing to play for and a DC tie or win tomorrow puts them in. I suppose they could want to shoot for second so they would put in a good showing next week and likely beat Columbus, so what's to worry? :D

11. let us draw u tomorrow then we'll promise to beat the shite out of the crew the next weekend.

12. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too late... when told Twellman had a "boo boo", my two year old said he was going to play. I'm not sure where he's going to fit in. I'm guessing target forward is out, but he's pretty good with the ball at his feet, so maybe he'll slot into the midfield and they'll move someone else up top.