Revs-Dallas Pre Match Chatter

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Soccer Doc, Jul 9, 2005.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I already know Kevin's response to that Doc ... and sadly, I'll agree with him I think.

2. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After 2003, I well know that "having something to cheer about" doens't matter to whether I cheer or not. All I need is the shirt.

And out of shape? Ha.

But - even Lance Armstrong gets a workout when he rides Le Tour de Lance. All I'm saying is 180 minutes is a good workout.

BTW, I did my 180 in full makeup and strapped in. You ready to do that?

:)

3. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Can we expect more SA people for Saturdays game? I think when they spread out in the section it adds a lot more effect to it, and because of that people want to cheer more frequently, or louder.

Hopefully I can stand and cheer through two games Sat., but we'll see how my back limits me (I feel like an old man saying that).

4. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA

In defense of us in the front, i got there at 6:55 and spent the first half about 7-8 rows up and NO ONE JOINS IN, I tried and I said screw it, I am not going to keep yelling alone in the back, and thats why I moved up for the second half. People were sitting down, looking at me and a couple others that were trying as though we were nuts. Its frustrating to see so many fans standing around looking like they are at a damn funeral, you heard the Costa Ricans, we need organization, not a bunch of soccer moms and dads starting about 7 rows up, we need more FANS of the sport. Half the people in the fort dont make a peep unless a goal is scored, its as fun as being at a scoreless baseball game with those people.

5. B1

B1 Member

Feb 19, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's exactly what I'm saying. Hell, I'm not even really talking about all of 143, just the front 25 or so rows. Do what you want anywhere else in the stadium, but if you are going to make the effort to stand in the Fort for 2 hours, just make the extra effort and sing.

6. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, certainly props for trying.

Maybe don't go to the back of the group, but the back of the active folk and see if you can't inspire those behind you...?

But hey, as much as I've preached about getting folk involved, don't ruin your own experience if they don't want to join in. Try - and if it works, great. But if not, water off a ducks back and move on.

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you'd rather have 5 rows of singers with nothing but empty seats behind them? That would look pretty pathetic.

I admire your vision, but kicking people out of the Fort for being to quiet is not the way to get there.

8. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I'd rather have The Fort with a majority of supporters who so desire to be proactive and demonstrative in their suppor, rather than a majority passively watching on just to be closer to the experience.

We only had 50 to 60 people in an otherwise empty stadium down at the Meadowlands, and no matter how it looked, it sounded great.

Looks aren't everything.

The Magpie

9. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Magpie summed it up for me.

The Fort is not something to be passively experienced. It's something to be a participant in.

10. thigpig

thigpig New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    upstate NY
    I know what you guys mean, people in the Fort should be singing. But I've heard it on these boards many times. People complain about the whole stadium in general not making any noise. Even at the game I've heard the Fort telling other people to stand up beside the fort. I mean for most people they've got the day off and want to relax. Just let us be.

11. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    when we do the stand up chant.. the Revs are doing great amd we want folks to actually ACKNOWLEDGE it by folks standing up and applauding/cheer.

I don't understand the mind set that goes to a sporting event, sits down, stays quiet, watches the game, gets up at the final whistle, and leaves. You could have saved $40 and watched it on TV, for criminiy's sake.

12. Ross

Ross Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Straight outta Qtown
    Could be, but to each his own. Or her own. If people want to pay top dollar and golf clap, why not? They're appreciating the game, increasing the attendance numbers, and enjoying themselves in their own way. No problem. Just don't plan to do that in the area designated by the team as the standing and cheering section.

But anyway......I'm trying to forget the last game but this one's still making me a bit nervous. Or was that the US team that kinda looked like the Revs of old on Tuesday? Oh well, country and club on the same day...sounds like a party! :)

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understood. But as Fozzie said, it's just trying to get the stadium to be loud for a couple of minutes at the end of the game. That's the only time we do that chant, and it's a nice thing for the players to see ... and it's been mentioned both on the air and by the players, that when the game is getting late and the entire stadium is on its feet, it's just a great feeling for them.

14. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone have any updated info about the match against Dallas? ;)

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, we're playing them on Saturday. :cool:

16. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll bail ya' out.

We played Wilmington in the USOC last night and for the most part the starters didn't play. No injuries other than a possible nick to Ronnie late, but he was running after that so I think he'll be okay.

They played tough for the first half and our kids didn't have the guns to overcome them on their own, so we had to play Ronnie about 60 minutes, along with Mina. Pitchkolan actually started and went 60 minutes or so, as well. Bobby Rhine came in for part of overtime.

I'm not worried about Mina - he is 20 and didn't overexert himself. I'm a bit worried about Aaron because he had to play in the middle of the park....

Pareja played a LOT and was obviously winded. Love the guy's heart and love for the shirt, but he is done. :( (Low blow coming - so, how did that Damian guy work out for you?)

Ronnie - damn that guy has an engine. By far the fastest, quickest and most enthusiastic player out there. He was everywhere. If we lost the ball, no matter where, over half the time he was the one who won it back.... (Okay, enough day-dreaming.)

Alvarez didn't play a whole lot.

Of the potential bench players, Nunez played the full 120, as did Thompson and Moor.

Bottom line - I think Aaron's and Ronnie's legs might be a bit short on Saturday. Pareja won't be available.

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great job Kevin.

Damian ... another in a long line of failed SIs for the Revs. Honestly, has any other team done worse with their SIs than we have.

I'd almost venture the Mutts, but Guevara makes up for a lot of their bad ones.

18. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is GAM going to be available for this game or is he still recovering?

19. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    To be fair, this really only happens towards the very end of certain games, the hope being that fans elsewhere in the stadium can effectively give the team a "standing ovation" to show their support and appreciation for their effort. The problem is, more often than not such efforts go wasted, with the bulk of the fans seemingly more concerned about standing up, if but only to leave early as not to get caught in traffic (which I can certainly understand).

The Fort is the one area in the stadium specifically set aside by the club for those who want to stand, chant, sing, etc., and I know I'd very much like to see an nicrease not noly in the number of fans, but specifically those who want to join in, learn the chants, and otherwise contribute to effort.

I understand that this is not for everyone, and that a majority of people would simply rather watch the game and otherwise participate if and/or when they see fit. I can tell you that - at least in terms of this season - I've seen a steady and noticeable increase in the number of fans outside The Fort who are more involved in getting chants started, even if but limited to the "Re-vo-lu-tion" chant. If anything, it could be the efforts of these people who might better encourage those around them to join in, and even if it's just a few people, it helps.

The Magpie

20. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you traded for the guy. We knew he was a bag full of nothing.

How you guys gave up on players like Oscar and Graziani - that is the question.

(I'm really not trying to bag on you guys.....)

FWIW, looks like you're making up for it in the US department. And Shalrie Joseph certainly deserves his All-Star spot.

And yes, I *greatly* fear a move by you guys to get Cancela out and bring in someone who can really hold the midfield together. Until Sept. 15 comes and goes, I will fear this.

21. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. At best, he *might* be available for the All-Star Game, but more likely the game against Metro on 8-6. They want to make absolutely sure he is available for the rest of the season (as well as the US WCQ matches), so he is not being rushed.

22. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fortunately, none of the decision makers from that era are still around. Although in their defense, Graziani arrived at a time when we desparately needed a central defender. Zenga was moving heaven and earth trying to get Joe Addo, and the league gave us Graziani instead. Addo, of course, wound up with the Metro Stars, and my admittedly fuzzy memory suggests that we sent you Graziani to create space for Mauricio Wright. He didn't really work out either, but at least he played the right position.

23. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. But Pareja is the blunder of the decade (and I mean that literally) for you guys. We got six incredible years from the guy - who is almost as much Dallas as Jason Kreis - and two other good ones. How you guys decided that he wasn't worth keeping, I'll never know.

If you had Pareja circa 1998 right now, you would be hands down the best team in the league, with no doubters. It would be a level of domination that the league has yet to see.

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey ... at least we didn't have Lothar! :D

25. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weather.com currently showing the temps to be around 80, partly cloudy, but only a 20% chance of rain. :)

Spectator index currently at 7.