Revs-Dallas Pre Match Chatter

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Soccer Doc, Jul 9, 2005.

1. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    A very good possibility, I'm afraid.

Guatemala's remaining games in group are against Mexico.. and South Africa.. the team that BEAT Mexico....

If they brick both games.. then Guatemala will be out midweek

2. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that only one third place team is eliminated - so if they can get a result against South Africa, they have a chance. Jamiaca and SA tied, so if Guatemala can win on Tuesday, they have a chance.

3. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strike that.

According to CONCACAF's website (which may be wrong, but unlikely), Guatemala is already eliminated.

And considering Pando got a red today, that all but assures them that even if they had a fighting chance on Tuesday (or whenever they play their third match), it is gone now.

I guess the tiebreaker in the GC is head to head? Or is Guatemala's GD so out of whack that they can't make it up in one game? (I didn't think so - four goals...? Unlikely, to be sure, but not impossible.)

So, if I were to guess, Dallas will have Ruiz.

But it will also be a very tired Ruiz. (Although yes, I'd rather that than not.)

4. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Joseph uses him, Ralston uses him, ... Reality is, those guys weren't there.

Fine if you want to be pissed at Nicol, but I really doubt he told Heaps to keep booting it upfield, or told Franchino to pass it to the nearest Fire player.

For Cancela, this game was very much like some of the reserve team games he played. If he was such a magnificient player, you'd think he'd be able to dominate those games. But, he didn't. Reason - because his options were similiar to what they were on Saturday - Latham, Vercollone, Smith, Edozien, Riley, etc.

Nicol could have had Maradona of '86 in midfield and it wouldn't have made a difference, because we stopped using it. When you have 5 or 6 guys who contribute as little as some of them did on Saturday, you just aren't going to be very good. Even guys (like Dorman) who played decently, did little to create any offensive spark. It's not that all those guys suck, they just need more of the Revs' exceptional players around them. A team of 9 "competent" players and 1 or 2 outstanding ones isn't good enough (particulary when some are less than competent).

Nicol took out a valuable asset that wasn't getting used. Blame the guys around him that couldn't manage to get him the ball.

5. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the past, I haven't had to pay for my 2 y/o, but this game may be different, as it's a Gold Cup game as well. Best bet is to call the ticket office and ask.

6. Stumpy Kelderman

Oct 12, 2004
    A tough match for our beloved Revs...

This is a bit of a different line-up than most have posted, but it's what I would like to see this week.

-------------------Reis-----------------------
    ----Heaps------Parkhurst-------Franchino---
    ---Riley---Dorman---Joseph---Vercollone---
    ------------------Cancela----------------------
    -------Twellman-----------Edozien------------

The first thing that sticks out immediately is Luke Verc out on the left wing... This kid has really impressed me every time I've seen him. The first time I saw him play was against (Not So) Sporting Club Lisbon last year, and the kid absolutely played his heart out. Held his own against the thugs. Last week as a sub he was one of the fastest players on the field, and just seems to try harder than everyone else. He's captain of the reserves, so he must be doing something right... give the kid a chance.

If he's looking out of his league, which I don't think he would, we could always sub Leonard in there at the half.

Edozien should get the start over Khano "I do absolutely nothing" Smith. Edozien was the only player with a shot on goal last game, and he looks pretty fast.

That is something this team needs out there, some pace. Verc and Edozien should give us that spark.

On a different note, I think Franchino played a horrible game at defensive mid last game... He should not play in that position again unless it is absolutely necessary (which admittedly, it was vs. Chicago). I'm confident he will rebound this week back in his normal position.

This is going to be another match that will be very difficult to win... FC Dallas isn't hurt much by Gold Cup, and still will have some gigantic threats out there (Ronnie O'Brien, most likely Ruiz). I will gladly take a tie...

1-1 (Ronnie for Dallas early, Twellman for NE late)

7. Dan B

Dan B New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Marlborough, MA, USA
    Dallas thoughts:

Franchino should not play DM!
    Let's hope that Colombia beats Trinidad Wednesday so that John comes back.
    Let's stop the Khano Smith as a forward experiment.
    Let's pray that Riley's bad form is due to injury, and that he is better now.
    I wonder if Flores can play wing?

Reis has had plenty of rest from Saturday's game, it would be nice to see him get a Cap on Tuesday. He is on the Gold Cup roster, and he has earned it with his MLS play. He will then have plenty of rest for the Saturday Rev game. What's the risk? He is very good, and this is not a must win game.

It looks like Guatemala will be eliminated, and that's bad news, as the Fish sounld then play for FCD on Saturday.

Ralston, Noonan & Dempsey played this weekend for the US Nats, so most likely they won't get significant minutes on Tuesday. Ralston and Dempsey have been fairly effective for the US Nats (IMHO), and will most likely figure on Saturday. Hopefully Noonan (if he doesn't play Saturday) get's released to play for the Revs.

Lineup:

----------- Reis -----------
    Heaps - Parkhurst - Franchino
    ---- Joseph ---- Dorman ----
    Riley --- Cancela --- Leonard
    --- Twellman --- Edozian ---

Noonan for Edozian, Ralston for Riley & Dempsey for Cancela if they don't play for the US Nats.

Bench: Warren, Cancela, Flores, Larentowicz, Smith(?)
    ... Latham, Romaniero, Tomasso, Vercollone, Holmes, Wilson

Even though it's a home game, I hope we limit our subs to the ones listed on the first line above, and if we play Smith, it's on the wing and not at forward.

8. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just wondering myself if there wouldn't be a chance of us seeing him at least on the subs bench tomorrow night, given that it's his home office, as it were, and there's no conflicting league match.

9. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    I'm feeling pretty good, actually.

Jeez Monty, a second loss in how many matches? And you're already seeing the glass as half empty!

For shame!

:D

10. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    We are at the apocalypse.

WE HAVE BIGFRANK POSITIVITY MOJO!

11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn ... now I know things are all upside down in this lil' world. ;)

And anyway, like I mentioned, it wasn't that we lost, it was how we lost this past weekend that pissed me off.

But people here know me well enough ... it's over and done with. I'll be cheering loud and proud come Saturday night for the Revs. Of course, hopefully I still have my voice left after both tonight's and Saturday's US matches. :D

12. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Thanks for the tip man... but i'm gonna do what somebody suggested to me by email, and thats go up to the line and if they ask for her ticket, we'll be apologetic and tell them that we didn't know.. and just buy a ticket for her. Anyways, i'm almost sure they'll let her through because she's cute as hell! :)

13. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just waiting for a SoccerDoc post trashing the team's effort, questioning SN's sobriety and condemning the organization's ability to bring in overseas talent. Then I'll know that I'm in the Bizarro-Revs Forum.

14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    FWIW, Dempsey played in the 1st game, not the 2nd.

I think what Arena is doing is using the 1st two games to get a look at everyone, then tonight's game will start to meld a best lineup, without overworking any particular players (O'Brien needs more PT, Dempsey needs more PT, Donovan and Beasley will probably be used carefully). Saturday will be the best 11.

So, from what I've seen so far, Ralston and Dempsey should be in the lineup on Saturday, Noonan probably not - although should see time off the bench.

Reis will not see the field unless a GK gets injured (watch me be wrong tonight!).

I hoping to see Ruiz at Foxboro on Saturday - playing for the Chapines!

15. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better not hold your breath :p

16. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who plays first, Revs or Nats? If it's Nats and if any of those guys don't get many minutes, I hope to see them in a Rev kit that night. For that matter, let them play both games anyway. Donovan and I beileve, Lalas have dont this in the past. It's tought having us to drop in the satandings because of Nat team duty.

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The winner of tonights game will play the second match on Saturday. If there's a tie, the US will be the group winner as they've got the better GD. The groups second place team will play in the first quarterfinal on Saturday. The Revs play last.

Yes, there's a small chance that the guys who don't play for the US will be available for us on Saturday, but if the US wins, then Arena needs to start thinking about the semis in NY on Wednesday. I'm assuming he doesn't want his guys playing two matches in one day and then being unavailable for the semis.

18. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I expect, as well. I would also expect him to not release the players even if they don't play in the US game.

FWIW, Ruiz will probably be back, but not EJ. (I say *probably* because Ruiz went slightly awol before the Gold Cup and so until I hear he is in Dallas and everything is fine, I'm not counting on him.)

19. Geiks09

Geiks09 New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Chicago IL
    Not very relevant to this thread, so I apologize.... but I am flying into Boston later this week. We are staying in Boston and looking at the options of getting out to Foxboro without driving. Any suggestions?

Is it possible to take the train out to Mansfield and then cab over?

20. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some matchup comments, just real quick.

First off, take a gander at who plays on Wednesday in our USOC game. That will probably tell you a lot about how fresh the starters will be on Saturday.

The likely lineup for Dallas will be:

---Alvarez-Mina-Rhine-----
    -----------ROB------------
    ----Pitchkolan-Simo--------
    GBandi-Jolley-Goodson-Moor
    ---------Garlick------------

Or put Rhine in Moor's place if Ruiz starts and move Mina to the right forward spot.

Talley could possibly start for Pitchkolan, but I doubt it.

ROB v. Joseph is going to be one hell of a matchup, but one that I think Shalrie wins. It is easier to destroy than create, and he is one of (if not the) best d-mids in the league. The other is Simo, and he will eat Cancela for lunch. You can just mark that down now.

Normally, our concerns are the outside mids for the other team stretching out our wing-backs. This is how LA and Chicago beat us - with balls over the top. If we lose our team shape, or get stretched on counters, Dallas will be vulnerable.

I'm not worried about Goodson. He has been better than Parkhurst or any other rookie defender in the league. The only reason he hasn't gotten any pub is because the team isn't on the tele much. But he has shut down pretty much anyone who has come against him. Trust me - Garlick isn't the second best keeper in the league.

I AM worried about Jolley. He had his hands full against Cerritos a week ago Saturday. If Goodson marks Twellman, we should be okay. Taylor is Taylor, he will get his chances. But Clay will cover him well enough that it ought to even out. But if Jolley has to mark Taylor, NE has the advantage there.

Attacking. Oy.

Our midfield will be the best you've seen all year so far (other than your own, of course.) But what good is a midfield if the forwards can't finish.....

Mina has pulled a goal out of his butt from time to time - he is a player who is a lot stronger and faster than he looks, and he has considerable skill on the ball. A bit too much at times - he will hold the ball to the degree that the team loses shape around him waiting for it. But he is the most dangerous forward we have if Ruiz doesn't go.

Alvarez is fast, skilled and gets into the box. But he hasn't been putting the ball on frame much - esp. when he brings the ball into the box at his feet.

Rhine. He hasn't played much at forward this year because he saw the numbers ahead of him and moved to right back. Did a good job of it, too. And he wasn't the greatest forward to begin with. Not real great finishing skills, not a great first touch, but an experienced pro.

Thompson. See Alvarez, but instead of being fast and skilled, he is more of a target forward. But his finishing lacks. A lot.

Bottom line, if Ruiz doesn't start, then watch for attacks on Moor and Jolley and unless you play Franchino in the midfield again, it will be a bunch of somewhat scary moments followed by a sigh of "well, that was a bad finish".

If Ruiz does start.... :evil, feral, nasty grin: He he he. If Ruiz does start, then Rhine moves to the back and shores up the defense, Mina moves outside and Ruiz marks up against your central defense. In that case, I like the fact that between Carlos and Mina, your defense probably won't be able to handle them.

Again, this assumes team shape. Of the goals scored against Dallas this year in the losses, most have been either breakaways or against a stretched defensive shape. If you can get Taylor one on one behind the defense (and it can be done), you will have success.

If. (I'm not saying you can't, but rather that this is the key question of the game.)

It is going to be a good week. Fresh fish on Wednesday, then one heck of a challenge on Saturday. Looking forward to it.

21. B1

B1 Member

Feb 19, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After tonight's US game, can I please ask that anyone standing in the Fort because of the atmosphere actually contribute to the atmosphere. There were way, way, too many people standing in silence. If you're not going to chant or make noise go somewhere else. 7-10 rows of silence between those who sing all game kills whatever atmosphere we can create. Ticos fans brought it tonight, US fans for the most part didn't.

22. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking only for myself, and I know, I know, don't only sing when you're winning, but it helps a lot when the team for which you're there to cheer brings it, too.

23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, this is very true. My throat is killing me today. But I noticed this as well ... kept turning around to help get chants started and maybe half of the US fans in the section were chanting. Extremely disappointing.

BTW ... Avery John will now be available for Saturday. So that's one piece back.

24. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please forgive me if this comes across as harsh - I am going on the assumption that you (and most here, esp. those who stood in The Fort) are die-hard active supporters.

Do you or do you not expect the players to fight through flat parts of the game?

Are you there to be inspired and react, or to inspire and cause a reaction?

I think you know the answers to those questions. To quote Marcellus Wallace (completely out of context), You've got to fight through that S.

25. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    "Technically" speaking, I think the way it works is that the club gives the players permission to play for the National Team, not the other way around. "Technically" speaking, I think Nicol has the right to tell his players to suit up (and play), regardless of what Arena has to say about it.

In reality, Nicol and Arena seem to have a good relationship and if Arena really doesn't want the guys playing, then Nicol wouldn't ask for them. OTOH, for those that don't play in the US game, I'm not so sure Arena would mind them playing for the Revs. His only concern may be that he could be accused of playing games with the competitive balance of MLS.

Yeah, but Nicol won't play him! Somehow the resurrected Franchino seems to be his favored choice.