Revs-Crew Post Match(R)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by goyette82, Aug 31, 2002.

1. goyette82

goyette82 Member

Jan 16, 2000
    Lowell, Ma
    Why the hell were we walking in the extra time. Everyone was taking there sweet ass time. One point is not what we need. Yes it is better than zero but we need 3. We are on the outside looking in. Not the other way around. It doesn't make any sense to me. Anyone else with any other thoughts.

2. DanTheMan

DanTheMan Member

Jan 12, 2001
    New Hampster
    Still, good game

Hello all:

I haven't posted here or subscribed to topica in ages, many because I've kind of lost touch with the Revs. I've been checking the standings but that's about it.

Tonight I was able to watch the CLB-NER game, and I have to say, if the playoffs weren't desperately on the line -- this was probably one of the more exciting & entertaining 0-0 games I've seen.

For the poster above, I'm guessing the players are pretty much out of gas when the 98' rolls around...

Oh one thing that hasn't seem to change is how Hernandez still isn't my favorite player :).

Oh well...if we could just keep the same lineup and build chemistry..that would be good. Oh and if Wolde could avoid the direct head on shots on goal, that would be great too :).

3. Bill Duggan

Bill Duggan New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    MA
    Hey at least we earned a point. BROWN WAS HUGE ALL GAME!!
    We did not seem to play any real offense, it was all midfield mostly. Very unlike the revs.
    We got lucky with that post shot. WOW

I really dont like Franchino, he doesnt contribute anything, he can get caution points but no scoring points. Jay heaps plays right DEFENSE, someone should remind him about that.

All in all, it was a poorly played game in which we earned a draw.

4. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    I have more of a problem with Nicol fielding a defensive lineup again when it was clear that the Revs needed 3 points, not 1, to stay in the playoff race.

5. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    If we have to play a 4-5-1 to slip into the playoffs, count me out. The only excitement was created at the Crew end of the field, and only the ineptness of Cunningham and the skill of Brown kept it scoreless.

McBride might as well have stayed on the bench the whole game, all the good he did. He plays better for the Nats than for the Crew.

I love watching Dunseth play -- for the opposition.

Chacon added quite a spark, didn't he? He moves in slow motion on defense.

6. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    Dear New England Revolution:

You are welcome.

Sincerely,

The Columbus Crew, hands still wrapped around collective throat.

PS - You should have heard the Crew radio call. The PBP guy (Dwight Burgess) was literally RIPPING the Crew for their poor decision making all game

7. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Ironic that with two teams on 2-game winning streaks, the game ends in a tie. The curse continues.

*** KC Chicago spoiler following *******
    (Some might be taping it on the Shootout)

Chris Brown nets the winner for KC in minute 90. Tough break for Revs.

8. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    Disaster averted time and time again. God that 4-5-1 is brutal.

I thought we'd lost when Chacon and Downing came on together.

9. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    The Rev have played three (3!) matches in the space of seven days. They were playing an excellent offensive team on their patch. The 4-5-1 made sense to start out and, once it was clear that the Crew weren't going to run rampant, Wolde came on for a two forward attck.

Sure the players were almost walking at 99 minutes. The bulk of the game was played at a fast pace and everyone on both teams was spent. I'd go so far as to say that the game was even entertaining, even though the draw probably will come back to bite the Rev.

Sadly, our dickweed cable system doesn't get Fox Sports World but a kind friend slipped me a vid of last week's West Ham/Arsenal match which was a cracker. I watched it while I was working out Sat. afternoon and enjoyed it mightily. My point is that I also watched the Rev/Crew within four hours and I would say the MLS match was just as intense and full of incident. Sure, Bergkamp and Henri were simply at another skill level but beyond that the comparison held. I know I'll get swatted for such heresy and maybe I just care more about the Rev, etc. but a full house in a proper football ground and an intensely played contest sure looked good. We have, collectively, come a long way since 1996. Pity the Rev haven't done better but what the hell, you can't have everything.

JIM DOW

10. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Dear SoccerAndy5,

When you finish milking Bessy, watch the tape. The Revs dominated the first half. The Crew only took over when Leo Cullen's injury forced the Revs to effectively play a man down (or does Alex Chacon count as half-a-man?)

BTW, say high to mom (aka siss) for me...

I can't believe the Revs didn't finish off this sorry Columbus team (who, BTW, looked much better when Perez came in - wonder if there's any way we can get him...).

Hope Crew fans enjoy their brief view of the playoffs.

11. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    We finish milking the cows WAY before game time ;)

Count yourself lucky the Crew played like crap after a 2 week layoff. The Crew have their destiny in their own hands and so far, they are trying to screw THAT up.

The Revs did have a good game plan, FWIW.

12. goyette82

goyette82 Member

Jan 16, 2000
    Lowell, Ma
    I was wondering the same thing about Perez. I am pretty sure he is an Si and, we have an SI slot open don't we?

13. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Any word on why Rusty had to come out of the game?

14. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    He was shown holding an ice back on his groin. I'm not sure if that means a groin pull, or just an overheated testicle.

15. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Just for clarification, an "ice back" is a cross between an "ice pack" and an "ice bag."

16. moacir

moacir New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Figueira da Foz, PT
    Saved by an extra coat of paint...

After Griffiths left,the play was in the REVs half, any forward motion became slow and inefectual.

After Rusty left, the Crew had the advantage. Fortunately, Cunningham had the wrong side shoes on.

17. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Is this the first time the Nichols version of the Revs has played in this Christmas tree (more or less) formation?

It seemed to be an effective way to play an away match, except for the loss of connection between Heaps and Ralston.

I was happy with Kante and Brown, who weren't perfect, but still great, and was happy with the flow on the left side. Griffiths is slowly getting plugged in, it seems. Lastly, Hernandez played one of his best games to date, seeming to stop looking for his teammates in the last 20' and to run out of gas altogether in the last 10'. I think he may have been the main reason why Crew's service to their forwards was so poor for the first half. At this rate, I may have to stop bashing the guy.

Now that we (soon will) have only 1 SI (Kante), can we get FC to round up some more men on horseback?

18. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last time i checked, the defense aren't suppose to score all the goals. And didn't Franchino record an assist on the Twellman goal against Colorado. What about the free kick in Chicago?

Poorly played game? I hardly doubt that, watch the game again, the defense was solid and the offense couldnt convert, which is hard to do when Twellman has 3 new best friends hanging out with him.

19. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember FC saying at his initial Meet the Coach with the Riders that his formula for a successful season was to win at home and tie on the road. The past three matches the Revs have done just that. Playing a very defensive lineup on the road against a very fast team is smart coaching. Our defense is starting to click and if we were in midseason things would be looking up. But it's down to the wire time and the odds are very much against the Revs. At least their starting to develope some creative flow and defensive ability bodes well for next year. Signing a starter from a good draft and getting two good SI's could make this team very competative.

20. socdoc

socdoc New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    CapeCod MA
    Anyone out there still think we have the best offense in the league? The transformation of this team is striking and not neccessarily something to be enthusiastic about. We've gone from the best offense in the league to playing the most "negative" style soccer yet seen in the MLS. It may produce results but it is sad to watch and certainly not something I'd drag my kids to see. Just look at what has happened to Ralston and Twellman. Ninety precent of their production was at the start of the season. Other teams don't have to worry about stopping them, Nicol is doing it for them. Does anyone think Twellman should have the vast majority of his touches in midfield, unsupported 40 yards from goal? Do you enjoy watching him do it or would you rather see him receive the ball in a shooting position? In the beginning of the season I was excited everytime he or Ralston touched the ball, now I just cringe. Without either a new coach and a new system, or an infusion of unusually talented players (i.e., Edgar Davids and Hassan Sas clones) I fear this will be a grim team to watch next year regardless of their "success" in attaining the playoffs this year.

21. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    ANDY's sleeping with your Mother who's ALSO your sister???

I'm gonna have to tell the WVA people about this. I knew RI was inbred, but aren't there at least 3 family groups?

22. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    I DID live in Kentucky for 10 years. This kinda scenario is NOT unheard of ;)

23. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Well chief, I'll give you credit for unravelling at least one half of the post's meaning. I'm guessing this makes you something of a savant around Columbus-parts.

Actually Columbus didn't look so bad with Perez in and half the Revs starting defense out (Llamosa, then Pierce, then Cullen). The Crew have a pretty impressive offensive lineup, and Busch looked very good. The midfield and defense look honestly pretty bad though.

Point is, if the Revs had been able to keep the same lineup from the first half, they wouldn't have needed any favors from Cunningham.

24. RevsSoccerFan

RevsSoccerFan New Member

May 2, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd just like to take this moment to thank the post for preserving our draw. :)

One point is better than none. Of course, 3 would have been better and I thought we were going to get it. But hey, I've seen 2 wins and a draw in the last 3 matches. They're making it interesting as the season winds down.