Revs - Crew: Game 2 Post game!

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by REV IT UP, Oct 31, 2004.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Fair enough, but pity the team who takes the Revolution lightly at this point. Understanding this, Nowak has done an excellent job of preparing his team over the season, and you have no shortage of experience, leadership, and talent in your squad, no matter the absence of Kovalenko and Nelsen.

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So ... since Martino only thought the Crew needed to play at 75% to beat the Revs ... what does AdU United have to play? 70? 60%? :)

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Thanks to the photo genius of Fred Kfoury, we can all enjoy the Adin Brown costume Kyle Martino wore for Halloween this year:

[​IMG]

Looks about 75% complete to me :)

The Magpie

4. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great job everyone. In typical revs board fashion, we managed to turn a thread celebrating a huge result into something else.
    Not bad though, it looks like there was about 25-30 replies out of about 80 that relate to the series. Better than usual.
    What is wrong with this board. Everyone just ignore bigfrank if you hate him so much, do not ruin the thread even worse by replying to it to tell him to shutup. he obviously comes to this board just to get everyone pissed off at him.he doesnt like this team, or the sport, he's just a loser who has nothing better to do than get people on bigsoccer pissed off.
    Now please let this be the last post about what bigfrank said and wether or not it was appropriate. give him neg rep instead of wasting posts like I am doing now.

5. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Absolutely. I think we all want to see this team succeed and be part of the Boston area sports scene for years to come. However, just speaking as one person, I simply call it like I see it.

It's great that the Revs are in the conference Finals and I'm especially happy for Matt Reis coming up big. But it's tarnished by this team being so bad during the regular season.

Several times they played like they weren't giving it their best effort. In any sport, teams like that have no business competing for a championship.

And when one does -- like the Revs defnitely do -- (heck they're two wins away from being MLS Champs) I think that says something about the structure of the league.

In this case that the regular season -- for which we all pay good money to see when we head to Gillette -- doesn't mean all that much.

I know this stance pisses a few of you off. So be it. I'm still a Revs fan and hope they beat DCU. And they've got a great chance of doing it.

6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs made the playoffs according to the league rules. What, are they supposed to just let Columbus win because some people think they don't "deserve" to be there?

The whole point of a playoff system is that all the teams have a chance to win it all.

The World Champion Red Sox did not have the best regular season record. Did those 162 games mean nothing? How about the NBA champion Detroit Pistons? Not the best record. Or the NHL Champion Tampa Bay Lightning? Nope. Anyone remember who finished with the best record there? MLB: Cardinals, NBA: Pacers, NHL: Red Wings.

Sorry I missed the ticker-tape parade held in Columbus for winning the Supporters Shield....

The Revs team defense is coming together with the Avery John/Rusty Pierce combination, a pairing that was missing for the first two-thirds of the season.
    They have overcome several injuries and are now showing the team they are capable of being. Let's enjoy it.

7. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you should take a stroll over to the Columbus board and see how incensed they are that the Supporters Shield was given by club management to some "soccer mom" who sold lots of tickets for the team, and not the supporters groups (V-Army, North End, Cowtippers Union, etc.) who do what the Midnight Riders/Rev Army do. The trophy does not, and never did belong to the suits in the front office, but to the fans. Peter Wilt asked the Cows' GM who was the fan contact they should send it to, and the guy said "just send it to me." Wilt said that he regretted not being more thorough and should have pushed him to get the names of one of the Monty equivalents

Disgraceful!

Tom

8. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Any chance the "monty equivalent" would have recognized the same person "the soccer mom" as the person who should get it?

or was the "soccer mom" truly unworth?

9. Ross

Ross Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Straight outta Qtown
    Huh?

I thought the Monty equivalent was the one who presented the shield to the team? Where does the soccer mom come in? Or was the soccer mom the Monty equivalent? It could happen. :)

So, where is the shield now?

10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read through the thread to get an idea of what people are saying, but without knowing the cast of characters, the overall consensus among Crew fans was outrage and a slap in the face.

For those of you who aren't familiar, this is the background of the Supporters Shield: In 1996, the Supporters Shield was created collectively by the supporters groups of the various MLS teams, and spearheaded by Sam Pierron in Kansas City. This was to be given to the MLS team with the best regular season record, since the League Suits never had considered anything like that, and we fans felt it was important to recognize more than just the team that won the playoff tournament.

This award was paid for by donations of fans and a sculptor was commissioned to make a trophy. This was given by the "Monty Equivalent," the president of the various supporters groups at the different clubs. The handoff has always been at the Supporters Summit, the day before the MLS Cup final. In this case, someone from the Barn Burners or Section 8 in Chicago would have presented it to someone from one of the Columbus groups, the V-Army or North End.

This award has been recognized by the league and clubs, but there has never really been involvement from club front office types until now. In this instance, the Crew GM took it upon himself to give this award to someone they designated the "Fan of the Year" because she sold lots of tickets and brought groups out to the games. If the Crew want to honor her in their own way, that's fine, but you don't co-opt an award that doesn't belong to you to begin with, and try to change the meaning of it. It is not up to the club to decide who is "worthy" of receiving such an award.

All I hope is that whoever wins it next year takes it back and gives it to its rightful owner, the supporters of the team.

Tom

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagreed with the person who handed over the trophy being designated by the team, but I do think that it's probably a good thing for the Shield to be awarded in a more public milleu than the Summit.

The first home playoff game seems like a good time and place to me.

12. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    For purposes of MLS Cup 2002, the Supporters Shield was handed over at the Supporters Summit by Sam Pierron to Ozzy Gomez (Los Angeles galaxy supporter). It was then presented to the Galaxy at the 2002 MLS League Bash later that evening in a formal on-stage presentation