Revs - Crew: Game 2 Post game!

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by REV IT UP, Oct 31, 2004.

1. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Congrats on your win and thanks for giving us another game to bounce at :) Reis was great, I could barely watch PKs lol

2. Eli708

Eli708 Member

Dec 15, 2003
    The Fitchburg
    The current playoff system is a joke because, hate to agree with Frank, it does make the regular season moot when a team with a record like ours can actually be in contention to win the championship. Hopefully with the addition of two new teams next year, the chase for the last playoff spot will become more interesting (even though this year was exciting enough for us Revs fans).

As for the off-topic politico speak. Bush says absolutely no draft if he's re-elected. Take this however you like. Just realize that the only ones to actually propose reinstating the draft (drafting an actual bill for a vote) have been two Democrat senators.

Personally I don't think that Bush will bring back the draft because it will forever kill conservatism in this country. Democrats on the other hand can bring back the draft in the name of racial and socio-economic equality like Charlie Rangel has repeatedly proposed. They believe it's not fair that only poor minorities are the one's that fight and die in war. They don't think it's fair that Bush won't send his daughters off to war. Well I didn't know that my parents could sign me up to go to war. I always thought that we had an all volunteer military. I must have been mistaken. Thanks for looking out for a middle class latino minority like myself Charlie. I'm glad you want to make sure caucasian men and women die as well. *sarcasm machine explodes*

I just don't understand how the far-left continues to get away with this non-sense. Oh well. Anyway regardless of your political affiliation DON'T FORGET TO VOTE ON NOV. 2!!! Exercise your right and vote with your heart and mind. Then we'll have a glorious four years under PRESIDENT REIS!!! :p

3. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Where is your DC vs NE pre match thread? I think the DC forum had it actually BEFORE the match!!

I really want to find out what NE fans think their chances are against DC.

Thanks

Also I agree with Big Frank about the format BUT this isn't the place for it and there are LOTS of other threads discussing it. Still even in the current format it does not diminish what New England has done. They were successful given the rules. In baseball the last, I think 3 World Series Champions have been the Wild Card and not the best team. (Frank no speaking of the word "world" in World Series I get enough of that living in the UK!) So it happens.

Lastly I will say this now. To all the Revs fans you've had a good run thus far and have played impressive. I wish you good luck in RFK (hopefully there won't be any scraps) and your team good luck in the match. I just hope the refereeing isn't shocking like it has been and it won't be a controversial outcome.

From Me a DCU fan

4. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I think Curt Schilling's t-shirt in the image below appropriately describes how Rev fans feel about the excessive talk on the United Boards:

[​IMG]

:D

United fans talk a lot, and while they have every right to be confident, I've never seen such overconfidence in all my years of following MLS.

If the Revs play a smart game defensively: staying compact while communicating well, while also getting some better finishing from the likes of Twellman and/or Noonan, I think we stand a shot at advancing to the final.

It's a one-off game, and anything can happen.

The Magpie

5. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Well, for what it's worth Frank...

The Red Sox, up until pretty late in the season, were not playing good baseball, were maligned by both the press and the fans, and looked all but out of it. But they managed a nice run at the end, and made the playoffs as a wild-card. They went on to win the World Series for the first time in 86 years...

... but you see, why should that let Francona off the hook, and why should it legitimize the efforts of a team who, up until later in the season, did not appear to be a team capable of winning a championship.

Guess the World Series is a pretty hollow victory then...

<sarcasm>
    <sarcasm>
    <sarcasm>

Frank, you do make a good point about how this team's peformed leading up to their current place in the MLS post-season, and it's not one I disagree with, but at this point, lets see how far the Revs can go, and leave further disecting of the team until after the season is finished.

6. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004

7. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stay BigFrank. I'm not tired of reading the truth. Why do we have to wait until the 4 game "second season of MLS" to see some serious football. I'd add that it is a second season with only one home game. I feel like I payed $300+ dollars per seat for season tickets to a one home game season. Sorry Mr. Kraft, they aren't THAT good.

Yes, I want them to win, yes I hope they go all the way. But how about some good football in June, July, and August too?

8. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How I wish that were true... we'd be certain to win. :D

9. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wish I could have watched as many REV home playoff games as there were Red Sox home playoff games. I want them to go all the way and I have a small well of respect for how Nicol can get them to play 2-4 games in a row with passion but, I'd like to see some of this down at Foxboro, not on my TV set.

Here's an idea for next season, the first two games who cares what happens, SN can have the "weather" excuse. After that, they play for the cup 7 times in a row. If SN can win the cup 3 or 4 times think how much fun that would be.

10. rev17

rev17 Member

Mar 2, 2000
    KBK, ME/JAX, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word up to the revs win...but supporting the team is about all the credit you
    deserve.

You make it seem like the killing off conservatism would be a bad thing. If there is one thing this country needs, its fewer intolerant, christian zealots in office. And as far as that poor excuse for an argument that is the draft issue...haven't you realized that in American politics the pentagon gets whatever it wants, and has explicitly stated it does not want to institute the draft. Its that simple...if the military says no to the draft...there will be no draft. Buck Fush. :D

Anyways, im done with the politics, but what a great result for the revs yesterday. I think its safe to say that everyone realizes there are lots of underlying concerns with the team, but they have really entertained me the last 3 weeks. Hopefully they can make it 4 straight weekends of good results (calling out 5 might be a lil too premature at this stage). DC is a good football club that just seems to get better as the season progresses...it'll be tough. Either way, I'll be looking forward to the match all week. Yeah Revs, way to sweep that sub-par season under the carpet.

11. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well being a vet of the war that just finished and having several close friends serving currently serving in Fallujah, Tikrit and Bagdad I would like to take this time to say on behalf of them and every man and woman serving in the armed forces....FU@K YOU!!

12. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    I have to somewhat side with Frank on this one. It's great that they've made a little run here and you have to give them credit, but it again speaks to the absurdity of 80% of your teams making the playoffs.

Your regular season has to mean something and if you can be arguably the worst team in the league for most of the season and still win the title, then I would ask the question, why bother with a regular season? Call it for what it is -- an exhibition tour.

I would love to see the Revs win the whole thing simply to embarass the powers that be into changing the playoff format.

Still, I'm going to watch the conference finals next weekend and the Revs are participating so I'm definitely looking forward to it.

The fact that they're playing Freddy & Co and will be in front of a great crowd should make it all the better. I'm sure it will be a great match.

13. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Agreed with you on this. Pretty silly format.

Also good to see a fellow Ipswich supporter in the crowd. I was hoping that Convey would warm the bench for them instead of Reading.

14. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    There are two reasons we won

Andrullis is a moron

Reis played out of his mind

15. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Well, your opinion runs contrary to a majority of United fans, who, based on their comments in various United forums, are already looking past the Revs, and thinking about a likely match-up against the Galaxy.

So my use of the Schilling photo is more how I feel about the majority of United fans at this point: there's a whole lotta talk, but all I hear is "Blah, blah, blah..."

DC needs to stay focused and not underestimate the Revs in order to be safe in their assurances that they'll be successful. If not...

The Magpie

16. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004

I've seen a mix of it. Some people going off the deep in and others bringing in reality. Luckily (hopefully) the team will just concentrate on winning and not thinking about the next match after. I do know that most United fans were hoping for the Revs instead of the Crew because we have a better record against the Revs and of course you would want to go against a lower ranked team then one that is higher. Good luck and hope it's a good match!!

17. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Agreed on Convey. I just want to see them back in the EPL so we can watch them once in awhile on FSW.

18. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...we saw what happens when players get ahead of themselves last night. Kyle Martino, enjoy 75% of your vacation.

19. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    I think two wins against the hapless, badly-coached Metros team has got a lot of people losing perspective about DC. Is it really that obvious to everyone that a DC team without the services of their best defender (Nelson) and one of their two best midfielders (Kovalenko) is that much better than the Revs? The only player with a bigger impact for DC would be Moreno.

Just a reality check: DC finished the regular season one game over .500. For the season, DC scored 43 goals and let in 42. The Revs scored 42 and let in 43. For the season DC owns a 2 - 0 - 2 advantage against the Revs, that's true, both wins by 1 goal.

But I'd say that, given DC's current personnel situation, even a focused DC team who's not underestimating the Revs stands a decent chance of losing to the Revs. The main edge they have is home field.

BTW, how silly is it that Dema picks up the yellow that suspends him from the next playoff game for .... get this ... embellishment.
    :D :D :D

20. MightyRevs

MightyRevs New Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Mass
    I cant believe some of you supposed "supporters" The Revs make the playoffs and now are in the Eastern Final against DC but all you guys do is bitch and moan about how we shouldn't even be in here its a joke, who cares!! we got in to the playoffs, so what if the way the MLS is set up for 80% of the teams to make it thats there fault for setting it up like that and we have proved that we are a good team and should have done a lot better this year. I hate reading some of these posts as I am a big fan of the Revs and go to every home game and when all i see is this team sux and i wish we didnt even make the playoffs because now it gives them an excuse to keep certain people. Are you guys really fans of this team?

21. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    Just for clarity, let's not confuse the DC fans who post on the boards with the DC team that actually plays the game.

I think it's kind of silly to imply that the attitude of the fans would rub off on the team in any way.

22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    And we KNOW he never lies to the American people! Maybe he's just "mis-speaking" when he says no draft?

Actually, I think the Revs did extremely well defending against the desperation onslaught.

When a team has nothing to lose and throws EVERYTHING into the box and just keeps pumping balls in, the result is going to be uuuuuhgly. The Revs had guys back, they marked well, and they fought hard for the balls and cleared them out. To be in a position to counterattack with 8 crews in the box, they'd have to leave a couple uncovered in order to be in position to counter.

In fact, they ran a beautiful counter against the pressure and it virtually killed off the series. ... Which brings me to my other point:

Despite what Wynalda and Stone say, dribbling the ball into the corner and waiting to be hacked is NOT the smart thing to do - AND it cost the Revs a goal. It often only takes about 2 seconds to strip the ball away and start heading back downfield. The crew took the ball away from Dorman (I believe) in the corner and the ball was in the Revs net about 10 seconds later. The SMART thing is to pass it to an open teammate, spread the field, make all those guys flooding the box track back to their own end to retrieve the ball. My one complaint in this game is how often this horrible strategy is employed.

Repeatedly mixing up the two black, defensive players on the Revs was an incredibly minor-league move by Wynalda and Stone. C'mon guys, get some binoculars or a bigger wide-screen TV. They don't all look alike!

The Revs are playing very, very well. Let's enjoy the run now and fix the MLS playoff system in the offseason, okay?

Noonan and Twellman were atrocious at finishing in this game. Noonan couldn't get his shots on goal (although none were "easy", he still needs to find a way) and Twellman finally scored when Dorman gifted him the whole net to shoot at. I really wonder about anyone who waxes on about what a great game Twellman had. He did work harder than usual defensively, but he was hardly better than your average forward in that respect.

23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That 2-0-2 record btw is the same one that the ScRew had against the Revs, including two one goal wins. And how'd that turn out for them?

Honestly, that's why I had posted on their board prior to game 2 asking why they thought that they would just run over the Revs, when they really hadn't done it during the regular season. But of course, asking a question like that doesn't get an answer.

24. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    Welcome to the boards.

One important thing to keep in mind, throughout the boards and especially here in the revs forum: The loudest contingent rarely represents the majority.

And yes, we are really fans of this team. Most of those who post negative comments seem to do so out of frustration with how the team is run because they love the team.

If you've got a little time, this thread, "Where have all the Revs fans gone?", sums up a lot of the frustration. It's a little old, but the issues are basically the same ones that get brought frequently on this board:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52820

25. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004

I just walk down the road and see them live ;)