Revs-Crew: Game 2 (10/9 - 7:30)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by JG_Revs, Oct 6, 2002.

1. JG_Revs

JG_Revs Moderator

Sep 11, 1999
    Boston
    No Kante (yellow card points suspension, red card suspension... take your pick).

[edit] Possibly no Hernandez (yellow card points suspension).

I suggest:

Brown
    Heaps - Llamosa - Pierce - Franchino
    Ralston - Cloutier - Cullen - Kamler
    Twellman - Harris

At least we got a point today, so even if we lose this we can win out next Saturday in Game 3 and the mini-game.

Heaps and Franchino are in danger of being suspended for Game 3... a yellow card by either would put them over the 2-card playoff limit... call me crazy, but if the Crew gets up a goal or two would you take those two out avoid them missing Game 3? I am almost ready to concede victory here and focus on coming out hard on Saturday with a full compliment of players. Take the way we played today and translate it to Crew Stadium down our best defender and key possession player and it spells disaster.

2. louisb

louisb New Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Does MLS use aggregate goals if it's tied after 3 games???

You don't want CLB showing up saturday only needing a point. They could just sit back and look to counter and were they to score first it would nearly mean game over. They looked the more dangerous side today and the pace of Cunningham really gave the defense fits. Today was the first time I've ever seen Kante look uncomfortable and losing him is a BIG blow for game 2. Can't see NE keeping a clean sheet based on the performance today. Revs will have to score some goals to get anything wednesday.

Maybe a recall for Chacon??? Didn't have much time to impress today.

3. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Hernandez still one card shy of a suspension?

Unless I'm mistaken, he's got three cards and a total of nine caution points. I thought it took 11 to be suspended?

4. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    I wouldn't worry about that, if I was you.

Columbus is NOT built to play that way. We do NOT have the kind of defense the Revs do. Columbus has tried to play the conservative "hold back and counter" tactic and have been burned quite a few times. The Crew's strength lies in their ATTACK.

Yes, McCarty and Dunseth were great today for the Crew, but overall during the season, the Crew backline has been generally the weakness for the black and yellow.

Crew fans are hoping Clark's hammie is better by Wednesday - Daniel Torres was plain ineffective as a sub for Clarkie and should not find his way onto the pitch the rest of the season.

5. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    No. If tied at 3 or 4 points, there is a 20 minute mini game, 2 10 minute golden goal overtime periods. If still tied, then it goes to penalty kicks.

6. Dave Kartunen

Dave Kartunen New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Miami, FL
    I want to know this too, I've been a little off on the MLS rules for a few years... actually, since April 2000.

Can't remember what made me begin forgetting the rules...

7. George Griffin

George Griffin New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    What happens with card points at the end of the semifinals? If a player gets a card that would put them over the limit during the last game of the semi's are they out for the final?

8. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. glennmcdonald

glennmcdonald Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Estonia
    I'd almost rather Hernandez was out. Are he and Joey really going to be able to play the next two games without getting cautioned? I'd rather miss them in Columbus and have them back for game three than have them and lose anyway, and then have to play the home match without them. And winning but losing them for the Cup? Unbearable.

10. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    What's the TV situation like for this one?

11. JG_Revs

JG_Revs Moderator

Sep 11, 1999
    Boston
    I thought he was out.

3 cards x 4 points (most cards are 4 points) = 12. Limit is 11.

What did he do that was only 2 points, or maybe two that were only 3 points?

12. JG_Revs

JG_Revs Moderator

Sep 11, 1999
    Boston
    AT&T 3

13. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I was driving to yesterday's game, the radio announcers stated that Hernandez's first two yellows in the playoffs were assessed at 4 points each so any additional yellow in the game would cause a suspension.

Franchino was in the same boat ( 4 points x 2 yellows = 8 total caution points). Kante only had 6 caution points so he needed two cards to get suspended.

I do not know who is correct - the Metaparel and the color guy or MLSnet.

14. soren_k

soren_k New Member

Oct 28, 2001
    When Clark went out, I couldn't figure out how a defense made up of Dunseth, McCarty, Torres and Denton was holding us. But at the end of the day, they all played pretty well except for Denton, who was the one real liability for the Crew. Ralston v Denton will be our best chance for success on Wed imo.

Also, the Globe has Hernandez out:

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/280/sports/They_ll_proceed_with_cautions+.shtml

15. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    It's still odd to hear that kind of talk about our defense, after we led the league in goals allowed.

In addition to Clark, was Buddle injured when he came out?

16. soren_k

soren_k New Member

Oct 28, 2001
    What happens if Rusty can't go 90 minutes? We don't have any obvious subs for Kamler cause Cloutier will probably have to go 90 in center midfield.

Leonard? Downing? Rooney in central defense?

17. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    My sense would be that Griffiths would come in for Kamler and you would move Kamler back.

Sorry, but not that interested in seeing Downing or Leonard (or Rooney) at this point. Llamosa isn't the quickest and a Rooney/Llamosa pairing could get scary.

If Hernandez isn't out, that is great.

18. soren_k

soren_k New Member

Oct 28, 2001
    Forgot about Griffiths. But it looks as though it is a moot point anyway as Danizinho says DH will play.

19. 1crewman

1crewman New Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio

No, I think the substitution was made for West's speed, maybe to try and capitalize on the the weaknesses in the back (though not many)

I think if the Crew get 3 points in Columbus, which I anticipate as Franchino and Hernandez cannot afford even 1 more caution, missing Kante will always hurt also. Slowmosa does nothing to counter the blazing speed we have up front.

This will set up the Match of the year in Foxboro next Sunday.

I was at the game last Sunday and I must say that NE fans were very hospitable and I appreciate the welcome I had in Foxboro.

Somewhere else in this thread I read someone suggest sitting Franchino and Hernandez for game 2 as to make sure they are available for game 3.
    Wow, I would love to see that. I don't think any manager in his right mind would attempt that, too much wierd stuff happens when people kick around a round ball. If Nicol sits Joey and Daniel, he concedes the series, not just match 2.

20. louisb

louisb New Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Buddle went off for treatment, came back for a couple of mins. and was then substiuted off. 64-68th somewhere in there.

21. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    Well for anyone that cares to try to figure out the math on hernandez......this should get you started.
    :)

CAUTIONABLE OFFENSES
    A player is cautioned and shown the yellow card if he commits any of the following seven offenses:

Is guilty of unsporting behavior (UB)

4 points
    a. Commits a penal foul in a reckless manner
    b. Commits a penal foul while tackling for the ball from behind without endangering the safety of an opponent
    c. Commits a tactical foul designed to interfere with or impede an opposing team's attacking play
    d. Commits an act deemed by the referee as bringing the game into disrepute (aggressive attitude, inflammatory behavior or taunting)

3 points
    e. Handles the ball deliberately to score a goal
    f. Fakes an injury or exaggerates the seriousness of an injury
    g. Fakes a foul (dives) or exaggerates the severity of the foul

2 points
    h. Interferes with or prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands into play
    i. Verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart
    j. Unfairly distracts or impedes an opponent performing a throw-in
    k. Changes jerseys with the goalkeeper during play or without the referee's permission (both players must be cautioned)
    l. Engages in trickery to circumvent the goalkeeper's limitation on handling a ball played from a teammate's foot

Shows dissent by word or action (DT)

4 points
    a. Verbally or through action disputes or shows contempt for an official's decision
    b. If playing as a goalkeeper, leaves the penalty area (not beckoned by the referee) to engage an official in debate regarding a decision.

Shows dissent by word or action (DT)

4 points
    a. Verbally or through action disputes or shows contempt for an official's decision
    b. If playing as a goalkeeper, leaves the penalty area (not beckoned by the referee) to engage an official in debate regarding a decision.

Delays the restart of play (DR)

3 points
    a. Kicks or throws the ball away or holds the ball to prevent a free kick restart by an opponent
    b. Kicks or throws the ball away or holds the ball to prevent a throw-in or corner kick by an opponent

2 points
    c. Fails to restart play after being so instructed by the referee
    d. Excessively celebrates a goal

1 poiint
    e. Fails to return to the field upon conclusion of the midgame break, fails to perform a kick-off when signaled by the referee, or fails to be in a correct position for a kick-off

Fails to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner kick or free kick (FRD)

3 points
    a. Does not retire at least ten yards away from an opponent's free kick

2 points
    b. Does not retire at least ten yards away an opponent's corner kick

Deliberately leaves the field of play without the referee's permission (L)

2 points
    a. To place an opponent in an offside position
    b. Leaves the field other than through the normal course of play

2 points
    b. Does not retire at least ten yards away an opponent's corner kick

The actions listed above assist in defining the scope of the basis for a caution and can provide a useful guide in identifying the specific behavior which the Laws of the Game consider unacceptable. It is critical, however, for Referees to distinguish between those relatively few actions for which a caution is mandated by the Laws of the Game and the remaining actions for which a caution is discretionary.

22. moacir

moacir New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Figueira da Foz, PT
    AT&T 3

And what does that mean? If you don't have AT&T cable you're out of luck?

23. twell_girl

twell_girl New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    cali
    interesting yahoo poll.

thought some of you might be interested. :)
    btw, i voted revs over galaxy.

ciao!

24. Bill Duggan

Bill Duggan New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    MA
    Wow, this one's tough.

Brown
    Heaps Kamler Llamossa Franchino
    Ralston DH* Rusty Griffiths or Cloutier
    Twellman Wolde

REVS 5-0 Crew

SUPAH REVOLUTION!!

25. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    I'd have to believe that Pierce will stay in the middle, considering that he's the only one on the defense with the speed and skill to handle Cunningham. Columbus spent much of the second half trying to spring Cunningham past Rusty with through balls, and Jeff got the ball wide a few times and tried to dribble past Pierce, and Pierce was holding his own. After West came on, he started making runs between Pierce and Cunningham and Pierce to draw Rusty off of Jeff and get a better matchup. When this happened they ended up with an ejection and nearly a pk. How much better do you expect Llamosa and Kamler to do than Kante?