Revs/Carolina Post Game Thread [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by goussoccer, Sep 4, 2007.

1. beryl420

beryl420 Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Hartford
    It's amazing how people can watch the game and take such different things from it.

I thought Khano, despite some good work taking the ball at people into the middle, was generally terrible ( I was kinder earlier). In the section where I Was sitting in the overtime, he was getting mocked pretty much every time he flubbed something (and that was pretty often).

I though Noonan had a very solid first half holding up the ball and making the right pass. He had a goal, showed some good solid ball skills and had the woman next to me asking her kids if they knew the Revs website so she could go look at his photo online.

Other than the fact that the will call booth had no record of me when I went to pick up my tickets, it was a good time all around (amazingly they just asked me to sign something that I "promised" that I had actually purchased the tickets).

The "brawl" has been the talk of a number of people in the office (I didn't even know they were at the game).

Agree with everyone on Jeff L and Parkhurst. Good work from both.

2. beryl420

beryl420 Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Hartford
    How were there 2 minutes of extra time in the first OT half?

3. FuzzyMiss

FuzzyMiss New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Somerville, MA, USA
    It was a lot of fun in the Tree Fort with some totally nuts Polish blokes and smokes bombs and flares going off underneath me. :eek:

However I have never seen such shite refereeing in all my life, 9 minutes of fighting and holding people by the throat is totally unacceptable. They were thugs better at fighting than playing footy.

Roll on the final!

4. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was asking myself the some question? What the hell was that? I've never seen extra time in the first OT Half before. Crazy.

5. revs

revs Member

Apr 22, 2003
    MA
    Re: Revs/Carolina Post Game Thread

100%

6. KATref

KATref Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Stow, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes they were offsides in that instance. It doesn't matter where the defender is in relationship to the passer. To be onsides you must be even with or behind the 2nd to last defender or the ball at the moment the ball is kicked by your teammate unless in your own half. Loftus was in the Carolina half of the pitch at the moment the ball was kicked by his teammate. Since he was past the 2nd to last defender(all Carolina players but the keeper were in the Revs half of the pitch) they were correctly called for offsides. Had he been behind the midfield line(in his own defensive half) he would have been onsides(although I would not have been surprised if he got flagged in that case as well)

7. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because in a few days they are going to pick him up again...:eek:

8. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A couple of notes about the stadium.

I loved that the locker rooms had paper signs taped on them naming the teams. Had we been able to walk by the Revs locker room I would have taken the sign after the match.

Before the match, the team and coaches casually walked by the tailgate on the way in to the stadium. A few of us noticed and waved and wished them well, but it was almost surreal. After the match they headed out the other side of the stadium where it looked like the team bus was waiting, so I don't know why they came in the other side.

When we marched up to the gate to go in (singing and raising scarves, of course) we were prepared to wait in the line singing, but then someone came over and said, "the VIP entrance is over here..." When was the last time this motley crew was considered VIP? lol

They marked off the rows at the top of the stands for us, behind the high school band that played the national anthem and then left! I can only blame the pre-game drinking to explain why it never occurred to us to move down after they left.

They kept announcing the concessions on the east side were open, so we went over there at half-time thinking the line might be shorter. We found a long line waiting at a closed window! I was impressed by the large number of urinals in the men's room fwiw :)

For anyone who noticed (or cared) the noisy green birds that are nesting on three of the light stands (including the one over our heads last night) are Monk Parakeets, a species that has established itself in a few areas in North America after escapes from shipments intended for the pet trade.

9. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    They are going to give up some cap space to a team that claims him in order to re-sign him.

10. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree with everyone who thought Khano was good and everyone who thought he sucked. It was typical Khano. He had a few nice crosses, including one in the first minute or two of the game, but nothing came of them. Carolina really defended the wings pretty well. Smith and Ralston both had a hard time advancing wide and frequently had to cut inside. Ralston can do this effectively. Kenny, not so much.

---

Haven't seen much talk about it, but Ginger's diving header for the first goal was great. It was right in front of us, and you could see the play develop, and what his plan was, but I didn't think he'd ever get to the cross. He layed himself out ala Twellman to get his noggin on the ball.

---

I'm a big fan of Cristman, but he had a tough game. His first touch was awful. Not sure if it was rust from the long layoff, the fact that he hasn't been getting as many minutes lately, or just playing down to the competition. I'm used to him being a very effective target, but I lost track of how many times the ball bounced several yards off of him when he was trying to receive it.

---

Someone mentioned Parkhurst being groped just before he kicked the guy in the face. If I was that player, I'd look out for Parkhurst's fiancee. If she's the jealous type, he might be in trouble.

---

I was walking past a couple of New Britain's finest right after the flares were lit. I quietly checked them out to see if they were going to do anything about it, but I don't think they even noticed. They were on the ground level on the opposite side of the stands, so I don't think they could see the flares from where they were standing. They were the only one's I saw inside the stadium, so it was all good.

Lee

11. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am gonna start calling you Seamus Jr. for such great useless tidbits of information like that. Rep.

Can someone give me the definition of playing "Cutesy" the first post in this thread mentions noonan as playing "Cutesy" I wana know what this means.

12. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They came up and told them to cut the flares towards the end of the match, but that was the second round of flares.

Cristman's station wagon was top-notch!

13. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am so upset I missed this game.

Not surprised we missed a chance to expand the fan base with some merch, remember Billelo (sp?) said we can't handle any more fans, no infrastructure :rolleyes:

I'd love to get the full story on the Edozein/Shalrie smackdown, sounds crazy.

Oh God, back to Frisco. Well, if the Pats put their Big Easy curse to rest perhaps we can do the same with our Texas one. C'mon you Revs!

14. jrkumor

jrkumor New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    H2O-Town, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"Cutesy" = mishandling the ball and giving it away to the other team :mad:

I think I yelled at one point, "Pat you don't play for the orange team."

15. mdelli

mdelli Member

Oct 10, 2002
    Seattle
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I was at the Sounders game as well and I agree with most of his post. I actually didn't think Denilson did anything at all. There were a few times when he had defenders 1v1 and didn't take them on. And he really didn't play any defense, the sounders right-mid abused him a number of times. Granted it was only one game but I'm glad the revs didn't sign him.

The officiating was bad....not as bad as the Revs game....but I expected more from Abby(sp?), an MLS official. Both Sala and Ruiz should have been tossed for time wasting.

We'll I'm really bummed today...I wished our boys could have played the final in my backyard....that would have been great.

We'll win it in Dallas...3rd time is the charm!

16. AmyLizzie

AmyLizzie New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Westfield, MA

I'm not sure, I didn't want to ask. My father asked me the same thing when he saw Solle walk up; he thought it was strange too. He showed up with Franchino late in the first half. You figure he is still around since the release just happened, so maybe Franchino didn't want to go alone so he got Solle to go with him.

17. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't be shocked to see Solle back on the Rev DV Roster next year when his ankle has fully healed. The Revs needed two DV slots and his being injured made it easy to release him---for now. I have no inside info that this is in fact what happened but based on whats been said about his skilles and potential and the fact that he's spent almost this entire season injured--he could be back nexy year.

18. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think that was me. Cutesy - Johnny Most would have called it fiddlin' and diddlin'

IMO, the worst part of Noonan's game is the tendency to play too cleverly. He will try that one extra pass, when he should have shot. He will try the extra move with two defenders on him rather than pass the ball off. When he's on (usually when Twellman is drawing his share of the defense's attention) it's great. Last night was not one of those nights. Again, a great job on goal - but it wasn't reflective of his play throughout the match.

19. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why do the lower division teams feel the need to resort to such thugery and brutishness when they play the upper division teams? I mean I know we're bigger and better but why do they lower their quality of play to something seen by the Italian National Team or...a junior varsity squad.

It makes for ugly soccer. Last night was a fun game and an entertaining game...but it was sloppy and just dirty. Three Red Cards? Shalrie's absence is gonna hurt us in the Cup Final .

20. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, so no Shalrie in the final.

Who are we starting? Perhaps Parkhurst at DMF again?

21. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT

Does this signal the start of a new thread?? USOC Finals Pre-game??

It's a long ways off, but I would imagine that Dorman would come back with Jeff and that Ralston or Noonan would become the attacking mid player.

22. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Guess you're just going to have to deal.

:D

Here is the form. Get the orders in asap!

View attachment 3217

23. revs

revs Member

Apr 22, 2003
    MA
    $12 for a championship match :D

24. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly - come on down!

25. Straps

Straps Member

Nov 7, 2005

Hey Kevin... isn't section 132 where we have been stuck for the last two cups... with one foot on the tunnel leading out of the stadium? Can't we have a more central location? please.... pretty please... I will buy you a drink at the Rovers Arms (or whatever the name of that pub is)....:eek: