Revs at LA Prematch Chatter

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Soccer Doc, Jun 28, 2005.

1. mrt/MLS

mrt/MLS Member

Oct 11, 2003
    CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there we go.

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume we should expect Leonard back in the starters position with Cassio gone.
    Riley in for Ralston, Smith in for Noonan and Dorman in for Dempsey.

2-1, Revs.

3. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    Some among us might be hoping to see Edozien start in place of Smith, but you're right on the money.

4. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with your assessment although I think it's a toss-up between Smith and Edozien as to who starts up top with TnT. I would go with Edozien. I guess it will be whoever seems to be able to complament Twellman more effectively.

As I posted earlier we could all be a bit surprised at what Coach Nicol has planned for this two week period. I guess we will need to wait and see Monday night.

5. Revs-West

Revs-West Member

Mar 24, 2004
    As opposed to other places that weren't boneyards? This is 2005 baby, you got to quit livin' in the past. :D

6. Revs-West

Revs-West Member

Mar 24, 2004
    I forgot to mention that my brother and I will be in 107. I think we'll be able to spot eachother pretty easy. We'll be the guys getting booed for cheering "at the wrong time".

7. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the LA Board prematch thread:

"So, Donovan, Pando, Marshall and Umana are out for the Gold Cup.
    Ngwenya is injured and Pete is questionable.
    Broome is traded.
    Naldo and Chinchilla may be released.
    Who is left?
    I think we should try a 3-5-2 for a change
    ---Ugo---Suarez --Dunivant
    -----Grabavoy--Nagamura-----
    -Jones---Kirvoski----Gardner--
    -----Gordon---Chisoni--------
    although I predict a 4-5-1 with Roberts added in back"

Lots of unhappy people posting. Very unset with Steve Sampson and want him gone. Most feel the team is in freefall and couldn't beat Chivas with whose left available after Callups, injuries and trades. GLAD TO HEAR IT :D

8. Dan B

Dan B New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Marlborough, MA, USA
    Nothing like starting your post about 1 minute before Rev news hits the street to make you look foolish. My guess that Cassio would be the starting left mid (or my preferred left mid) went right out the window. But it's difficult to keep track of the rules in this league.

On a sour note, it looks like the Revs will not be in first place in the Eastern Conference after Saturday's games. Chicago is 2 points behind us, and they play away against Chivas. Thanks to the scheduelers who have Chicago with 18 games played to our 14 at that point. :mad:

Revised lineup without Cassio:

------------- Reis -------------
    Heaps --- Parkhurst -- Franchino
    ----- Joseph ----- Dorman -----
    Riley ----- Cancela ----- Leonard
    ---- Twellman ----- Edozian ----

Bench: Warren, Smith, Larentowicz, Vercollone & Flores

I still stick by my earlier statement:

In the short run, Greg Lalas, Nicol, Marriner, & Vanole will need to suit up for the reserve game after the Chicago match . Even then, we will most likely play shorthanded as there are just not enough bodies to field a reserve team.

If the fourth round selection was a supplemental pick, then we just bought Tubby for the Mutts, as that's the pick that was used with Walker! I'd say that's a draft pick well used.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we positive that Reis not Warren will be in the net Monday?

10. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    As sure as you can be. Arena is releasing him from camp to play the Revs games, because he's sitting in the third keeper seat.

11. Tobas

Tobas Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Littleton, MA
    This is the lineup that I would go for too. However, with Twellman still questionable, who gets put in his place if he can't go. Would we go with Smith and Edozian and see if one of them can step it up. Or plug Flores straight into a DM slot and move Dorman up top. For me, if Twellman is out, I would prefer Dorman up top even if we lose a little something in the middle.

I thought that Flores also played on the wing some last year, does anyone remember which side it was? From what I remember, I thought he was playing in a right midfielder position last year in the game where Dempsey injured him. At least I was impressed with Flores before his injury last year.

12. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    May the best team win. No superstar players for either team, should be a game full of errors. I wouldnt be suprise it results in tie but hey who knows we might just score one for you guys :D

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds like favoritism! We demand two own goals! :D

14. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saturday results discussed and how they effect the standings.

[result]San Jose did their part, drawing with FCD, 2-2. Three points on the 4th will bring the Rev even with FCD (with a game in hand) for the best record in MLS.

More importantly, the Rev need at least a draw to take back first place in the east after Chivas rolled over for the Fire, 1-0. We will still have three games in hand over the Fire![/result]

15. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as of now, it's 4.

16. Che chico!

Che chico! Member

Dec 21, 2004
    West LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just hoping this match isn't another reserve squads' snoozerfest. IMO, G's squeak out a 1-0 win somehow, but I'll have missed it because I fell asleep and my girl didn't want to wake me because I looked so cute drooling all over myself.

Go Galaxy B Team!!!

17. Fires Of Fulham

Fires Of Fulham New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Chicago, USA
    Also hidden because there's no little [R].

I come in peace, I promise. The Revolution are my second team. But your claim of rolling over is unfounded as Chivas played as good a match as they've done all season.

The Fire were missing their three best players in Thiago, Jaqua, and (for most of the match since he was being rested) ROTY candidate Rolfe. Which of course helped Chivas look better defensively than they actually were. But I wonder if you watched the match. If playing hard nosed, chippy defense is rolling over than I hope more teams don't roll over when they play the Fire or the Revs. :)

Now the rest of my peaceful post. Do you think the Revs are even going to keep a 3-5-2 with so many offensive players missing? And is Reis actually going to start against Chicago or is the LA match his last match before he officially joins the national team?

18. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA

Read back: Reis will be coming back to the Revs for games UNLESS Keller or Hannehman gets injured, Bruce lets his #3 goalie come back for Club games. So Reis will not miss any games

19. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be true for LA but the Revs will be bringing a bunch of superstars (Twellman, Joseph, Cancela, Reis), some rising superstars (Parkhurst, Dorman, Riley) and a few supporting players of less cosmic note (Franchino, Heaps, Smith, Edozien). This is a Steve Nicol coached team and part of the strong Eastern Conf.. I doubt it will be an a error-fest like those who play in the Western Conf usually experience. :D

The Revs may have Nooana, Ralston, Dempsey and John off for the Goald Cup but they will still be fielding a strong team. LA may be playing at home with their "B" team but if you want points you better bring your ?A" game.

GO REVS Revs 2--LA 1

20. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many cups of coffee before that post, George? ;)

If the Revolution keep it simple against Cobi and company, I don't see LA scoring. Not on Reis, anyways. ;)

21. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, just a little trash talking. The LA people are doing almost as much bitching and moaning as the Crew fans these days and I'm only trying to help them out a bit (with some salt in the wound) :D

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing personal my friend ... but not one of those players is a superstar. Definitely a couple of stars (Twellman and Joseph), some potential (Reis and Parkhurst) and that's it.

Not trying to be a pain ... it's just that I think we're too easy with our labels of greatness and superstardom.

To me, a superstar is someone at the top end of the game, the top 2-3% (if even that many) in their respective sport. MLS has no one that falls into that category.

Stars yes ... superstars no. Superstars on the MLS level ... hmm, now that's a possibility for a couple of those guys. But there's not a chance in hell that Dorman belongs on that list either.

[Off my soap box]

23. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a superstar at the cracker factory.

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preview from MLSNet.

REFEREE: Michael Kennedy. SAR (bench): George Gansner; JAR (opposite): Emiliano Monje; 4th: Richard Heron
    MLS Career: 63 games; FC/gm: 33.0; Y/gm: 4.0; R: 9; pens: 29
    Games involving Galaxy: P11 W7 L0 T4; FC/gm: 32.6; Y/gm: 3.9; R: 2; pens: 7
    Games involving Revolution: P18 W5 L12 T1; FC/gm: 32.9; Y/gm: 3.4; R: 1; pens: 8

INJURY REPORT: LOS ANGELES GALAXY - OUT: DF Chris Albright (L knee MCL sprain); FW Joseph Ngwenya (sports hernia surgery); DF Ben Benditson (sports hernia); MF Guillermo Gonzalez (L quadriceps strain); DF Pablo Chinchilla (L hamstring strain); QUESTIONABLE: MF Peter Vagenas (R hip flexor strain); PROBABLE: MF Ned Grabavoy (R hamstring strain) ... NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION - OUT: GK Kyle Singer (R shoulder sprain); PROBABLE: FW Taylor Twellman (L hamstring strain); DF Marshall Leonard (osteitis pubis)
    INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: NE: FW Pat Noonan, MF Clint Dempsey, MF Steve Ralston (USA; CONCACAF Gold Cup); DF Avery John (Trinidad & Tobago; CONCACAF Gold Cup) ... LA: FW Landon Donovan (USA; CONCACAF Gold Cup); DF Michael Umaña (Costa Rica; CONCACAF Gold Cup)
    SUSPENDED: none
    WARNINGS: NE: DF Jay Heaps (20 CP); MF Shalrie Joseph (18 CP)

HEAD-TO-HEAD
    ALL-TIME (21 meetings): Galaxy 12 wins (2 shootout), 41 goals ... Revolution 7 wins (1 shootout), 28 goals ... 2 draws
    AT LOS ANGELES: (11 meetings): Galaxy 8 wins (0 shootout), 22 goals ... Revolution 1 win (0 shootout), 10 goals ... 2 draws​

Ouch ... AT LOS ANGELES: (11 meetings): Galaxy 8 wins (0 shootout), 22 goals ... Revolution 1 win (0 shootout), 10 goals ... 2 draws.

BTW, Tyrone Marshall was released by Jamaica, so he'll be available for the Gals. There's one own goal!

25. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monty, you sure like to argue. You and I both know there is absolutely no validity to anything said when one is talking trash. As Yoda often says--"Let go Monty" :p