Revs at Crew Pre Game Discussion

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Soccer Doc, Oct 19, 2009.

1. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, I'd like to see 15 home matches where I can see my team play soccer and win the match they play that day. But, because only making the playoffs matters and we think we can "turn it on" at the end of the season, more than half those matches have my team playing something that

1. Doesn't look like soccer
    2. Doesn't look like they are focused on winning (or even playing) that day
    3. Doesn't look meaningful at all.

So, in the end, every regular season match and point doesn't seem to matter. At least, by observation, that appears to be the approach, IMO.

2. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cheer up people!

The Curse of Caricola

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW1cGLVGCeA&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - MetroStars vs Revolution April 1996 Caricola Own Goal[/ame]

Ah, the good old days! Why can't we get guys like Keegs, Sawatzky and Welton anymore!

10 of the Most Memorable Games at Giants Stadium

:D

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm confused … when we were losing points in May, you and jokeefe (amongst others) were making comments about how it was too early to worry, that it much more mattered what the team did late in the year, etc. How can it be both ways?

4. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I almost don't want to make it so it sends real reverberations through the FO.
    PS Where has Jokeefe80 been? :eek:

5. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He finally took your sig seriously.:rolleyes:

You might want to check one of the moderator threads and read between the lines.

6. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    I feel like this does a good job of actually making it look worse than it is (which isn't to say it's a good situation...).

First of all, if Chicago loses, there are at least 2 spots available at 42 points, so more than just the #1 team in the tiebreaker matters.

Secondly, any scenario they list, not involving Colorado, also assumes they take full points. Again, if they don't, there are at least 2 spots available at 42 points, so more than just the #1 team in the tiebreaker matters.

I'd still like to know who takes 2nd in the East in the case of a D.C, Chicago, New England tie at 42 points, as unlikely as that is.

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't it be us? We're 1-0-1 against both those teams, so with the first tiebreaker being head-to-head with all teams tied…?

8. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just the thought of that brings a huge smile to my face. Acing out my two least favorite teams, priceless! :)

9. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Revs are actually 0-0-2 against Chicago. D.C. played Chicago 3 times, so the 3 way head to head is: D.C. 2-1-2, Revs 1-0-3, Chicago 0-2-3.

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn ... that's right. :eek:

11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't think that's it at all. We went into our last 8 or 10 games in fine position - we even had a legitimate shot at the SS; we just had to win the games.

The only time we were in much of a hole was when we had played 3+ games fewer than most teams.

We had a nice little unbeaten streak in August(?) and we had a pretty favorable string of winnable games coming up. Then we couldn't get the results.

Of course, points are always important, any time you can get them, but I'd say we lost the points in September/October, much more than early in the season.

If we miss the playoffs, it will probably be by a game or so, and yet, we come down the stretch 1-4-3 in our last 8. We'll have lost it in the stretch.

12. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worked for us. :p

Any of you guys making the trip down, Monty?

13. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TIME CHANGE: Columbus game moved to 6 p.m. ET

Please note that the Revolution’s regular-season finale on Sunday, Oct. 25, against the Columbus Crew originally scheduled for 5 p.m. ET has been moved one hour to 6 p.m. ET. The game will still be televised live on ESPN2/ESPN2 HD and ESPN Deportes.

14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish. :(

15. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's probably an outside chance that Chad Marshall sees some minutes this weekend, but the Crew aren't tipping their hand, and all we know for sure is that he's practicing with the team this week. Renteria is out on a red card suspension.

Warzycha has become quite the roster rotation zealot this past month, so it's anyone's guess who our starting XI is this weekend.

Our offense has been abysmal recently, despite the fact that we have been "dominating" a lot of games, out-shooting opponents by large margins. We have 3 goals in our last 5 games. Guess it's our finishing that's been abysmal.

16. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone can go check how exactly we accumulated points, but it seemed like we finished out last year badly (just as badly?) but, thanks to early season points, still made the playoffs.

Note that, despite those early points, I'm still not convinced this team regularly considers the first 15-20 games as being of the same level of importance as the last 10-15.

17. ZZZenga

ZZZenga Member

Aug 10, 2006
    CT
    For regular season games we only won 2 from August on last year, against DC and Chivas.
    Our record from the all-start game on was 2-7-4 so 10 points to finish the season. We went into the playoffs on a 3 game losing streak, and a 6 game winless streak (last win was on 9/11/08).

Points by month (and possible total)
    March: 3 (3)
    April: 7 (15)
    May: 10 (15)
    June: 10 (15)
    July: 3 (3) - also won SuperLiga
    August: 5 (15)
    September: 4 (12)
    October: 1 (12)

18. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    In comparison, since this year's all star game the Revs have been 4-5-4, 16 points earned. The Revs won 3 straight in that time, but are currently riding a 4 game winless streak.

Points by month (and possible total)
    March: 4 (6)
    April: 4(9)
    May: 5(15)
    June: 3 (6) league games only
    July: 7 (12)
    August: 10 (15)
    September: 4(15)
    October: 2(9) one game left

The revs have only one once in September and October.

19. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump

The REV forum seems extremely low on traffic given there are probably only 3 days (after today) left in our season. Mediocrity Fatigue?

I'll help generate traffic

Bring back Pepe!

Pepe should be SN's new assistant!

Pepe should have Burns' job!

Pepe for President!

Back to being somewhat serious. Do they travel today or tomorrow? Any word on who travels/travelled? I hope it won't be viewed as pessimistic to say that I hope they take enough of the young guys (Colaluca, Assengue, Videira, Igwe for instance) with them to play them if results between now and Sunday don't support their playoff hopes.

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It isn't because the Revs aren't playing well, it's because we're too negative. :p

21. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
    well if YOU the 12th MAN isn't playing well, then YOUR NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION are playing a man down.

22. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, Pepe can't be President -- doesn't meet the born in the USA requirement (or the citizenship requirement should Arnold get his way) ;)

On your more serious point, IMHO it is absolutely not negative to hope that they're planning for the possibility that they'll be eliminated before Sunday's match. In fact, I would think it's downright optimistic to think that they'll be thinking about talent evaluation and seasoning.

23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they lose. There. I said it. Nothing could be worse than, if by some miracle, they won, and the other results went our way and all of a sudden our season became "successful."

We are a crap team, and have been all year. The "injury" excuse and all the other excuses for not getting it done have rung hollow, and it's time for even the rosiest colored glasses to admit that this team has been in a slow decline for several years. We are not even remotely close to being a top-third team anymore, much less a legit contender for any hardware we actually care about.

Do we still get a "you suck" allocation? Will we use it on anything remotely useful?

Go Crew!

24. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
    you must be one of those pepe hater birthers.

and in my self-aggrandizing opinon, it is wrong to hope for anything but total domination by the revs, and a hot streak in the playoffs and MLS cup victory.

25. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As bad as we think things are right now, how far are we from being a top-third team -- 3 or 4 points, probably?

That said, I agree that it would probably be better for the long term if we don't make the playoffs (that was really painful to type). There's no question that something needs to stir up the status quo here.

I'd still like us to go down swinging and can't possibly, even in jest, root for the yellow football team.