News: Revs 2021 Season [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Mar 10, 2021.

1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
  2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
  4. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far Mafla is living up to the nickname he had with his previous team..."Glass legs"

5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From that piece:

High praise indeed. And I don't think they're wrong. Even our most skilled all-time skill guys were a tier below Gil.

9. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Well, when it comes to Twellman, Joseph, Ralston, Jones and Turner (our best ever at 'their positions') it's really apples to oranges, comparing different positions.

I think there's no doubt Gil is our best ever attacking mid. Our most talented attacking mids previously weren't here long enough to have a big enough impact (with the exception of Cancela, possibly).

10. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record, when Twellman was doing the Revs game, he said that Carles Gil was the best player to put on a Revs jersey. But I generally agree with you about comparing players by position.

11. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Shalrie also onboard with Gil as the goat.

Also I love Matt Turner, but there is some low key matt reis shade being thrown

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I'm going to wait a couple more years for Gil to take that spot. But I do hope that Gil has a chance to become the second ever MLS MVP who played for the Revs (Twellman won it in 2005). Twellman also finished as a finalist once, joining Joseph and Nguyen on that list.

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    People generally seemed biased towards the latest/greatest when evaluating their 'best of'. Twellman scored 100 MLS goals and didn't even have close to a full career. Joseph was the best dmid we've ever had (and among the top 2-3 ever in MLS), and also pitched in at central defense when needed - but also not only 'played' forward, but was a darn good scorer when he did. Show me another MLS star with that kind of versatility.

Twellman and Joseph are just displaying professional modesty.

patfan1, pwykes, asctester and 1 other person repped this.
  14. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Gil is great and a joy to watch, but he doesn't have the unknown development path to follow that Buchanan does. The only question with Gil is how high he will end up on the all-time Revs list.

I'm more excited to see how Buchanan tracks especially since we have Dempsey's ascent to stardom as a comparison.

PS - Dempsey will be in the studio with Davies for the Nations League games.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2021/05...ions-league-commentators-and-studio-analysts/

PPS - I saw Shalrie running a U-15 practice on the stadium field on Friday evening after getting my 2nd Moderna dose...brought back some real nostalgia seeing him out there.

A Casual Fan repped this.
  15. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Its that kind of stuff that cements Shalrie as a club legend

16. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you talking about? Don't you know that we are so lucky to live during a time when the greatest EVER are currently playing in all sports!!!:laugh:

17. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Thankfully, you could fit Twellman, Shalrie and Carles Gil on the field at the same time for a best XI.

Twellman's goal tally for this club is safe for a long time.
    Shalrie isn't going anywhere in the conversation as best CDM on the team, I was going to put metrics to this... but cmon..

While I think theres certainly players that pop up, and demand the conversation be placed on them over the years. These 3 are unassailable.

I'm careful to never throw Matt Reis shade, but Turner could VERY WELL pass Reis in the conversation of best keeper this team has ever had. If, and IMO, when, we win MLS Cup with Turner in goal, the torch gets passed.

But I'd love to see this team bring in the players over the years that have made this team what it is, when we finally get to celebrate.

Shit, invite Mike Burns.

18. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Yeah as long as Mike Burna the general manager doesn't show up. That guy was an asshole

pwykes and Sachem07 repped this.
  19. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    To further expand on my thought, I just think it'd be cool/classy to make sure to honor people like Mike Burns, Alexi Lalas, JMM and John Harkes for what they did being the face of this team for a lot of bad years.

To me, Twellman, Sharlie, Ralston, Dempsey, Parkhurst, Larentowicz, and many more deserve to be able to get to hold that trophy, and acknowledge the part they had in building this club.

This team has come a long fxcking way. The 2021 Revs are easily the most technically skilled, and deep squad that we've ever had for a single season. It HAS been 10 years since I felt we had a legitimate shot at the title.

Just fxckin do it! We'll knock out the specifics after.

pwykes repped this.
  20. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't need an exception for Joe-Max, he gets in on talent regardless. He was our best field player for years (even if those were thin years). None of those other guys went from MLS to Everton. His knees gave out before he did.

But yes, we should definitely give a nod to the originals who put in their time. Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing a '96 reunion day – it'd be fun to see Keegan and Welton and Woodring and Naveda and all those guys back for some feting.

pwykes, patfan1, Sachem07 and 1 other person repped this.
  21. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Let's hope we can wait at least until after the season before exploring talks.

And, for those who say the MLS draft is insignificant, ...

Revs in 2010 repped this.