News: Revs 2021 Season [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Mar 10, 2021.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs season preview show on YouTube, tonight at 7:30pm.

2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    As for the young talent progressing, I think DuJuan Jones gets overlooked, but he has looked even better this spring. He seems to react to more competition for his spot by raising his game, which is exactly what you want to see.

3. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    OK, fun to hear a preview. But....

This sort of thing should warrant a half hour on the new TV channels.....not just an internet stream on Youtube.

I mean it's just a measly half hour, c'mon.

Think of the endless hours of "season preview"-ish content pushed out and broadcast for the other local pro teams.

*** Allowing *** a half hour broadcast for Revs isn't an unreasonable ask.

4. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta disagree here, a bit. I think the choice of Youtube was great for two reasons: 1) it's available for everyone, independent of what tv channels they get. 2) it's a great test for the future of potentially live streaming games (as MLB has done). I'm going to be moving out of market soon and would love for the Rev's to choose an easily available outlet.

That said, the Revs did a poor job of publicizing this -- I watched just about live and at max, there were 58 viewers.

Doublecard repped this.
  5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I almost put this in the predictions thread, but:

All 27 MLS teams ranked by tier for 2021
    By Matthew Doyle
    Wednesday, Apr 14, 2021, 11:23 AM

He's got the Revs at the top of tier II (Serious trophy contenders), 3rd overall.

6. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally disagree with this point from Doyle. You want scorers to shoot whenever they have a reasonable chance -- sometimes they may kill an offensive foray, but if you don't shoot you don't score.
    This point of Doyle's, however, is spot on. I don't think the issue last year was entirely personnel -- we were almost always in what looked like a zonal (or more often half zonal, with some man defending) marking system, relying on Kessler and Farrell to cover their halves of the 6.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  7. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Hmm. I didn't mean to put it on TV instead of You Tube.

>> I guess I wasn't expansive enough in my request, ha ha, it didn't dawn on me that somehow I was appearing to say it SHOULDN'T be on Youtube. ​

>> There's room to push this on multiple delivery channels, that's what should happen -- and they don't need to be "live"/simulcast. ​

For example - how about a plan that would have shown the season preview TONIGHT, or tomorrow, or Fri - on TV, a day or more after the livestream on YouTube?
    (I'd guess that the TV showing would (maybe?) garner more than 58 viewers, but perhaps even that may be a tad too optimistic.)​

It ESPECIALLY needs to get shown on TV - if you are a team that just announced a big change to where you broadcast and are now out of necessity "training" your fanbase to start looking there for the team...
    ...then it's logical that the team would also want to get this sort of content out also on the broadcast channels. ​

Start "greasing the rails", if you will.

I'd hope/assume the new contracts have some allowance for stuff like this- not just games.
    >> And if the new contracts with broadcasters don't have that sort of allowance - then that's odd, seems to be a missed opportunity, not sure why they wouldn't push for/take advantage of that.​

Revs in 2010 repped this.
  8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's not the same as a 30 minute show, but they did get a few minutes on channel 4:

Feldman and Davies preview 2021 with Dan Roche on WBZ-TV's Sports Final
    April 12, 2021
    2:16PM EDT
    Jeff Lemieux

A Casual Fan repped this.
  9. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Somehow he didn't manage to find a spot for Buchanon in his starting 11, and while it may be a challenge for Arena when everyone's healthy, I'm pretty sure he'll always find a spot for him.

10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than putting him at RB, which Arena said he doesn't want to do, who are you going to take out to make room for Buchanan?

Here's Doyle XI:
    4-2-2-2: Turner; Mafla, Kessler, Farrell, Bye; Kaptoum, Polster; Traustason, Gil; Buksa, Bou

I think Buchanan may start on the left until Traustason is ready, but after that?

11. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Maybe it's time for Bruce to figure out how to take off the training wheels and go 3 at the back. Get Buchanan on the field as one of the 5 mids - time for The Bruce to figure out how to get ALL of his top threats ALL on the field ALL at same time.

If he doesn't have defenders to do that - then he needs to fix that. In other words, Henry may be too slow to anchor the middle of a 3-back line. If Bruce had a CB with speed, then it would be simpler to get get Buchanan on the field regularly - and, ha ha, he'd also have a center back with speed.

Not simple to do if you dont have the parts - so, maybe that's the next big acquisition that needs to happen.

Just spitballing here.

12. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002

13. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    What does your 3 at the back formation look like?

Is it a 3412 that looks something like:

Buksa Bou
    Gil
    Arnie Polster Caicedo Tajon
    Bye Kessler Farrell

I ask because someone has to come off, and I dont think either of the perceived LB choices gave the size to play in a back 3 alignment

14. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000

I don't know. I truly don't think he currently has all of the necessary defensive parts on the roster to do 3 at back.

But Bruce and Krafts really should be trying to figure that out, if the truth is that there's so much mid- and attacking talent that Buchanan can't get on the field.

(Which isn't something I am arguing - that's someone else's take, above.
    - I think you get Buchanan every minute you can, that there is one or more others who should be in line for minutes behind TB17.
    >> He keeps opposition off-balance, and requires focused attention from one or more defenders at all times.
    - Not too many others on the Revs roster for whom that can be said. ​
    - On that basis, sit someone else down - for now, maybe make that Kaptoum, as he's got a knock and not had a minute played yet.
    >> It's an easy decision right now; but, once Kap is healthier, then figure out the tougher decision of who else is the right person to sit.)​

Bruce needs to solve that - as a coach, you really need to be putting all of your top threats on the field all at the same time, as much as possible.
    >> And playing 3 at back might be way to better enable that- if you can assemble the parts.​

To essentially play with one hand behind your back isn't a sustainable model for dominance.
    >> and a lineup that keeps one of the top threats on the bench is the equivalent of playing with that hand tied behind your back​

15. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    For reference the rest of the world looks at him and gets FOMO on the next Phonsie Davies. I think he's a decent attacking player, but he seriously impressed enough as a wingback that I dont know why Bruce is so reluctant to use him there.

My best guess is he doesn't want to exhaust him early in the season, but short of Brandon Bye making a technical leap I expect Tajon to be a wingback when the chips are down

Revs in 2010 and A Casual Fan repped this.
  16. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    #41 A Casual Fan, Apr 15, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    With about 48 or so hours until 2021 gets real -

[There's no "Revs Roster Thread for 2021" to post this, so next best place seems to be here...]

I havent seen one of the "MLS Best Players" type of conversations in a while -

>> So - it's been a while since Revs have significantly populated the Best-11, Best-22, or even 33, 44, or Best-55 teams.

Which Revs players on the roster for this coming year do you think fit into one of these "Best-nn" tiers?

Gil is arguably Best-22, I think worst case Best-33. I'm sure some of you think he is Best-11 caliber.

Turner must be in that same/similar level.

What about any other players - where would you slot them?

Are the Revs back there yet? Or not? Getting there?

17. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I agree Turner is best 11, no caveats. Gil possibly makes it in at either the 10 or LW, and is safely in the top 22. Only other guy on the team that might be close is Tajon, and only if you shoe horn him at RB. Otherwise Kessler might be the next guy left off, I don't feel controversial in thinking he is a top 10 CB is MLS

18. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd say he is a lock. He is to Bruce as Clint was to Steve. He is too good not to be on the field for 90.

19. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs predictions from MLSSoccer.com. I don't think Charles Boehm is too impressed with the team picking them 7th.
    Predictions
    • Charles Boehm: 7th in East
    • Tom Bogert: 2nd in East
    • Susannah Collins: 4th in East
    • Charlie Davies: 2nd in East
    • Matthew Doyle: 3rd in East
    • Sam Jones: 2nd in East
    • Michael Lahoud: 4th in East
    • Joe Lowery: 3rd in East
    • Jillian Sakovits: 3rd in East
    • Greg Seltzer: 2nd in East
    • Steve Zakuani: 3rd in East

20. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    #45 rkupp, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    I don't think you have both Polster and Kaptoum.

As for using him at RB, I don't think that's something to do now, but in the playoffs ...?

It really comes down to whether we see ourselves as an attacking team or a defending team. We've been a defending team in recent years, looking to stay solid, counter/press high and find timely goals.

Now, with Gil back and healthy, he has a full arsenal to attack with: Buchanon and Traustason on the wings, Buksa and Bou centrally. Opponents will have to respect that and won't be able to throw as many forward against us or press high as they typically do.

I expect to see a lot more respect for our attack this year and as a result, less pressure on our defense and so a dual-dmid shouldn't be necessary instead of a more two-way central mid, like Kaptoum or McNamara.

All that said, Traustason and Kaptoum don't seem to be available and may not be ready for a starting role for a while yet, so it's an issue down the road IF everyone is healthy and available. I just think if/when everyone is available, Buchanon will have a spot (assuming he continues last season's trajectory).

21. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outside the Box: 7 of 9 points to start 2021

[​IMG]

Revs in 2010 and Revs In First :) repped this.
  23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    saw a report on SBI that he is linked with Cincy.

25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States